Elf Up Your Name!

Sporadic

Maybe i could get a fake name for my character...

Lirr'Averir.

Of course, really my chracter is more of a Vulir.

Go for it! Also, I'm going to add that if you need an Elven name custom-made, you can always give me a reply and I'll go

I'm thankful that this tutorial was made, people use proper names now.

Well, I wouldn't say their names were inproper before (with one or two exceptions, perhaps), but if people want to use lore-founded names, all the more power to them! I'm just giving them the option.

I gave this an update just now; make sure names stay fresh out there.

Thanks for a neat and helpful guide. I'm surprised people haven't snatched up most of the names already, because they should! I remember how difficult to come up with a meaningful Elven name, for my character's child, that wasn't super lengthy or odd. We settled on Aylir.

Thanks for a neat and helpful guide. I'm surprised people haven't snatched up most of the names already, because they should! I remember how difficult to come up with a meaningful Elven name, for my character's child, that wasn't super lengthy or odd. We settled on Aylir.

Thank you for your kind words. I hope your child will enjoy the new name.

People like coming up with their own names. This is not surprising or a bad thing in the least; it's part of the creative process. However, I find there's always RPers with a soft spot for lore (like me) who would like to let the background, lore and spirit of LotC breathe through every aspect of their character. To help them out, there's this guide.

This is a really well put together post. +1 for the amazingness. as someone who hates making names, but likes making RP names.. i love this post

I gave this an update just now; make sure names stay fresh out there.

Yeah, you don't want anyone walking around with names like 'desk', or 'stone path', or 'book'.

Wait, I take that last one back.

Aheral Khel won't be the name but true name of my character after she has sought solace and silence away from the troubles of the lands around her. Her real name is Alizyn Galiel but I liked the implications behind it. On surface level it matches her mindset perfectly, for she was born blind but has found a way to overcome that in society. Deeper than that? You have to rp with me to find out =p

Seeing as i used to spy on the LotC guild "Dragonborns" and they were extremely overpowered. (That is why my Description on ts is "Leader of the dragonborn, fear my shitty RP >:D"(Joke among fellow Shad'Rin.)) My fake name is now DOVAHKIN! I HAVE CAME *******!

All jokes aside, I am using this to create my new character, Also when i RPed as an old man, I called people i disliked "Vullir". I've been trying to remember these Words with a IC book.

Can you make a few more Elven swear words? For revenge on Orcs?

Anyway, great post and good job!

I was able to come up with my character's name because of this little beauty.

http://www.grey-company.org/Language/

It's a fan-inspired Lord of the Rings elvish language dictionary and phrase book! I've been reading this website for years, and just recently made Vanyariel, my character, for another server for Dungeons and Dragons. I love this site!

Your guide was also helpful, by the way. ^_^

I approve of the awesome words, not JUST because my character was called Dusk. :)

And now you have the cute Lilia! Awww!

This is a really well put together post. +1 for the amazingness. as someone who hates making names, but likes making RP names.. i love this post

Thank you :)

Yeah, you don't want anyone walking around with names like 'desk', or 'stone path', or 'book'.

Wait, I take that last one back.

Well, I agree. Obvioisly, Being called 'book' would just be plain silly :P

Aheral Khel won't be the name but true name of my character after she has sought solace and silence away from the troubles of the lands around her. Her real name is Alizyn Galiel but I liked the implications behind it. On surface level it matches her mindset perfectly, for she was born blind but has found a way to overcome that in society. Deeper than that? You have to rp with me to find out =p

You know about Truenames? I love the concept. I modeled elvish slightly after the creator tongue, implying elvish words can directly communicate with nature. It's now also slightly similar to the Thu'um, but I had the concept before Skyrim was released XD.

Hope you'll like it.

Seeing as i used to spy on the LotC guild "Dragonborns" and they were extremely overpowered. (That is why my Description on ts is "Leader of the dragonborn, fear my shitty RP >:D"(Joke among fellow Shad'Rin.)) My fake name is now DOVAHKIN! I HAVE CAME *******!

All jokes aside, I am using this to create my new character, Also when i RPed as an old man, I called people i disliked "Vullir". I've been trying to remember these Words with a IC book.

Can you make a few more Elven swear words? For revenge on Orcs?

Anyway, great post and good job!

IC books are perfect. Elvish isn't supposed to be as common as Orcen, but more of an Aegis equivalent of Latin for the elitists to speak. It's older and far harder to learn that what the Orcs speak.

And sadly, there won't be a Elvish rebound of 'skah'. Frankly, 'skah' annoys me because a certain group of RPers seem to miss the point of it ('motherskahing skah' is unacceptable.) Elvish swearing is going to be all about 'curses' (as in 'may you be smitten with the force of a thousand collapsing stars')

Im sure i did like a 5 page thread on names :3 Click the link in my siggy or somin'.

I saw that before. The town names too. You probably discovered by now that people like to come up with their own names more, though. If you ever expand on the idea, I can suggest offering something grounded in lore (apart from languages there's naming people after saints and such...)

I was able to come up with my character's name because of this little beauty.

http://www.grey-company.org/Language/

It's a fan-inspired Lord of the Rings elvish language dictionary and phrase book! I've been reading this website for years, and just recently made Vanyariel, my character, for another server for Dungeons and Dragons. I love this site!

Your guide was also helpful, by the way. ^_^

You can use one of the many name generators out there, yes. I can suggest the Morrowind one for wood, dark and high elves. However, the Elven language is as un-tolkien as possible, mostly because of the wishes of the original creator.

And thanks :)

I approve of the awesome words, not JUST because my character was called Dusk. :)

I can tell you that in Elven dusk is not a particularly awesome word. Better you stick with English.

Also, have you considered becoming an acting duo with Dawn? I'd watch that...

ohhh very good