The Great Drought And Famine

ek_knight

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this event?

• Yes, I like this event.
    • No, this event is not for me. (Please comment why)
    • Yes, with major changes. (Again please comment)

Event Planners, MC Names:

ek_knight. (If anyone else would be interested in helping please post)

Event Type:

A server-wide RP event.

Event Date:

Preferably in the fall although that is not necessary. The event should last between 1-2 RL weeks.

Factions/Nations effected by the event:

Event Location:

Everywhere in Asulon although desert regions may be less effected because othe rainfall in those regions is already quite low

Summary:

The Drought

Maehrir walks quickly towards the farm. The dry arid heat caused sweat to form on the faces of many but Maehrir barely notices the heat. She is lost in her thoughts, plotting the ending to a novel she has begun to write by the flickering torchlight in her humble abode. She grabs a wooden hoe from the chest, swinging it easily in her hand, never bothering to look up. As she approachs the field she looks up, searching for any monsters that lie in waiting. She finds none but what she does find is even more interesting. The water that irrigates the wheat has simply dried up and disappeared. The wheat in turn had dried out and turned black and limp, worthless. Annoyed Maehrir returns the hoe and begins the long journey to the top of the Great Tree in order to inform the leaders of the problem.

Maehrir was not the only one experiencing the effects of the heat and lack of rain that year. Many small lakes and rivers dried up completely, killing hundreds of fish and eliminating much of the carefully maintained agriculture. Irrigation canals also dried up taking a further toll on the production of bread. Animals populations declined as many died from thirst. Even the mighty oceans lost some of their water.

Famine

Maehrir felt the all to familiar feel of hunger in her belly. 3 months after her first discovery of the damaged wheat food and water had become scarce supplies. She briefly considered eating the small loaf of bread in her pocket but the location was too public. Taking out food here would only incite some starving bandit to steal her meal. She slipped away to her house.

The drought caused an imediate lack of staple foods such as bread, pork and plain water.In the months following, people flocked to the largest of the cities in hopes of obtaining the precious food. Different nations had responded in various ways. Some had given food to all while others had safeguarded it, giving out only small rations. But even the most measured of rations was not enough to stop food supplies from dwindling rapidly. Many starved or died of thirst. Others rioted, demanding access to whatever food remained. Some blamed it on deities, while others searched for a scientific explanation. All over Asulon people hoped for rain.

OOC Information

Timing

This event would be similar to the plague event in that it would be a week or two long. It would occur in all areas of Asulon and would eventually end when rain falls again.

What Would Occur

-It would not rain for the course of this event

-Small lakes and rivers would be dry, preferably this could actually be done by GMs.

-RP wise the ocean would be lower.

-Decreased spawn rates for animals

-Wheat would not grow or be harvested (After the drought is over wheat would simply begin growing again) I know this may not be possible with Minecraft but it could at least be done Rply.

Screenshots/Inspiration:

I don't have screenshots because of limited access to Minecraft.

2a8fac0.jpg

35a3pt3.jpg

Essentially I believe this event would add to server RP in many ways. Any suggestions are welcome.

I think some areas should still be able to grow wheat if they are by a ocean or something.

I think some areas should still be able to grow wheat if they are by a ocean or something.

Or perhaps near the larger fresh bodies of water? I think that could also add some interesting rp with people attempting to take over those areas etc. I will add something about it in the OP tomorrow.

How about this as well-

A big flood afterwards.

All the rain that has "been missing" comes down and floods certain areas.

How about this as well-

A big flood afterwards.

It's called a 'Flash flood' :3

How about this as well-

A big flood afterwards.

That sounds like a cool idea but might be better as a separate event. After so much damage and disaster from the drought and famine I don't think adding more chaos would be a good idea. On a slightly unrelated side note I have been writing flash flood lore for how Asulon could end, just for fun.

This event has been denied by the Event Team. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.