[✓] [Accepted by MAT] Telekinesis/Psychokinesis - The Movement of Object with the mind [Complete]

Supremacy

Should Telekinesis be a new magic type?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Should Telekinesis be a new magic type?

The issue I see with telekinetic purely being able to move objects is that they will use it, like Haelphon said to directly take things from attackers. A soldier runs at you? Take their sword. Archer has a bow? Take that. If a telekinetic is able to take things is completely destroys any possibility for someone to attack you which is not balanced. This is where the energy shields had to come in, since If someone is swinging something at you and you can no longer 'grab onto' something in motion there has to be a way in which a telekinetic could defend themselves. Using an energy shield this gives them a more fair way of attacking as they take more time to make, can not 'pick up' as easily and are similar to a fireball from a fire evocationist in how they operate, thereby giving a baseline on what is OP and what is not.

Taking in freddy Kruger's point I would say that he is correct in that it is really 2 different things put together, however I feel that they do fit the overall feel of a telekinetic. In saying that however, I do realize that two branches could come about from this and that it is all about balancing the two. So perhaps a Direct Telekinetic could redirect faster objects as he said, but not grab onto them as easily, and another type could be the barriers and so on.

I would also like to point out perhaps it was not clear but I don't believe the shields should be quite to malleable like he believes them in his post, as that again appears to be overpowered in my opinion. Reflecting every attack would be overpowered on it's own (Hence why the break), but being able to send them back would be even more unfair.

As for Djinne's question: Yes... They do... Otherwise someone could make it and sit there forever.

So - Then comes the decision of if it should be split into two forms? And if so how should it be balanced. Perhaps if you have ideas you can post them below and it could be split into two types, perhaps you think it is fair and balanced the way it is. (Poll Added)

I would also like to note I have never played skyrim (Gasp) and so I actually have no clue how it worked in Oblivion (I hope that is a skyrim game) and so I'll check up on that.

One thing: if a telekinetic can't focus on anything moving, how does he/she continue to move the object? If I move a shield, and I can't focus on it while it's moving, how am I moving it at all? It just moves, I lose focus, falls, repeat.

~

Now - For this, you must realize a telekinetic can not focus on something which is moving before he grabs hold of it. Once he grabs it, he can manipulate the object. The idea is if it is in motion before you grab it, it is difficult to focus on and therefore you can not go taking arrows out of the air, swords out of hands and so on. Djinne is totally correct in what he said. Otherwise telekinetic magic would allow people to pick people up and send them anywhere, which is not balanced.

Odds are we will do some reviewing of the magic prior to it's completion and return feedback to you as you work on it. Though, noting this is still WIP we will step lightly until we know what you are doing with the lore.

That is fine. I just wanted to avoid an instant review before it had the chance to be improved, in fact MAT feedback would probably be very helpful to improving it. I'm not interested in passing it as fast as possible, more in making it interesting and workable (and perhaps an opinion on if it should be split). That being said if it will be rejected almost no matter what, being told that before it is worked on for a long time would be nice.

I disagree, because I see no difference in removing a chunk of the earth, than picking a shield off the ground with your mind. Sure the mage might have to expend more energy carving out the earth before using it as a shield. But it would also allow the attacker to gain a slight edge when attacking. It also would cause the mage to get more drained, than supposing to pick up a decent sized rock, and not carve it out.

The issue with this, is that if it can pick up these 4 elements, what makes it different from Elementalism?

I really like the first part of the magic. But as mentioned beforehand don't feel the second part of the magic really fits it. If I had asuggestion I would mak the direct telekineises more powerful and eliminate the barriers. I understand the reasoning it just doesn't seem to fit the magic.

Version number 2.

Still unsure if the two should be separated, but on the principal of keeping it distinct from elementalism (And from the poll votes in favor of keeping them together) I have decided not to at this point. Haelphons queries were particularly helpful and hopefully I answered them in the new version.

This looks very interesting, and could cause some great RP. Noted is that of course the rock-evocation overlap might always be there, but it has to be noted that using telekinetic magic wouldn't allow one to simply pull rocks out of solid mountains. There's a certain difference. Moving keys etc. with magic sounds like the best thing to me ;) Try to capture a telekinetic mage, see him escape using only his mind.

The Sythaerin supports this.

That is a good point. Something should be added about perhaps the strength of bonds allowing motion. That would make the two even more distinct. Next time I update I will be sure to add something along the lines of:

"Telekinesis has difficulty breaking bonds in larger things as they have no set area and therefore the mind has difficulty finding a set barrier to pull at"

I really love the idea of telekinesis. It seems like it would fit magic pretty well, especially for those more intellectual characters. I know it would fit Elwen well.

A good outlined learning process and if handled well it's not too overpowered. I'd love to see Kalenz and the Magic Team to work together to get this ironed out and accepted.

Although, my input is this;

The idea of barriers, while having good intentions, does seem to be making it a little too spread out. Why not pick up a second subtype with which you can use to fight/defend yourself as well and have Telekinesis be a more passive magic like Illusion or Priest?

I think it would make more sense to have Telekinesis as a passive magic rather than a weapon/shield. Not all magic has to be a weapon.

Also, a little note here; Telekinesis plus Illusion equals awesome. :grin:

I like your suggestion - But how would you suggest this is done? I am all for making it a non-combat / more passive. The telekinesis part is the one I was more interested in from the beginning and had to balance it out to avoid it being to similar to elementalism and the goal was not combat magic in the first place.

But there has to be a way which separates it from 'household magic' and 'elementalism'. If you are willing to outline some ideas how it would work I would be very much appreciative as I am not 100% sure how to do this.

----

I suppose it could be done in the following method:

- Remove shields

- Keep the restrictions on lifting liquids, gasses and energy as it is currently.

- Allow for the movement of moving objects but add in something regarding to a changing surface area being impossible to manipulate and that force in a suddenly changing direction not induced by the telekinetic (i.e. a Swordsman moving his sword) immediately causes an mage to break focus. As freddyKruger suggested fast moving objects are still hard to manipulate however can be more easily redirected instead of impossible to manipulate.

- Allow for increased technical control of objects (Dexterity with manipulation).

By this a telekinetic is not moving objects like an elementalist, doesn't have the non congruent barriers and telekinesis becomes viable.

So essentially Telekinesis becomes the mage equivalent of manipulating objects which are not of an element.

It seems viable. Remove shields yet lift some of the restrictions of telekinesis. Possibly being able to focus on a slightly increased number of objects and allow you to grab moving objects but not objects moving fast such as a sword being swung or a rock rolling after you.

The more kinetic energy in the object, the more energy it takes to grab said object. You cannot grab something if you lack the amount of energy needed to grab it.

Starting to rewrite the lore to remove barriers and add a more traditional form of telekinesis.

Edit: The beginnings of the revision are complete and can be seen now.

Mhmmm.. I'm not sure on what to think really.

But keep writing, the lore looks good so far at least.

But just one thing.

CREDIT THE ARTWORK YOU HAVE TAKEN.

I'm nearly 100% sure that you don't own both of the Deviantart accounts "babyphire and Kelume."

So credit them! Since they used many hours to create artwork that you just "steal."

:P Always credit the ones that makes everything a beauty. ;)

Fair enough. Done.

If anyone has any suggestions for new sections to be added to better define the lore, please feel free to post below to help me work out what needs to be improved.

But just one thing.

CREDIT THE ARTWORK YOU HAVE TAKEN.

I'm nearly 100% sure that you don't own both of the Deviantart accounts "babyphire and Kelume."

So credit them! Since they used many hours to create artwork that you just "steal."

:P Always credit the ones that makes everything a beauty. ;)

I'm not sure it's possible to credit every single picture on the internet. I like the thought though, you're absolutely right that we should credit what we can.