[✓] [Accepted by MAT] Telekinesis/Psychokinesis - The Movement of Object with the mind [Complete]

Supremacy

Should Telekinesis be a new magic type?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Should Telekinesis be a new magic type?

Yes. Just.. yes. I'd love this, and would even like to make a new character and magic app just to use this and learn under a master. (Who WOULD be the master, anyways? The person who made the thread?) It sounds great, a lot of fun, and is a wonderful addition to magic.

I am supposing that anyone who applies will apply with lore for the first while, no one will be able to teach until they master it themselves perhaps since it is a new magic OOC screenshots will be sent to the MAT to balance it more, and check those who start with it are practicing it correctly. Thank you for your support.

----

Still looking to balance weights, limitations and so on.

I could see this being extremely OP and powergamed. I can forsee people silently levitating a dagger behind someone's head and stab them, etc.

That is a fair comment, if they do not notice it, nothing can be done. If they do notice it however merely knocking the dagger out of the way will prevent such a fate as the telekinetic will lose focus.

However, in saying that what is to stop all other forms of magic or other methods of combat from doing a similar thing? A tendril from a shade? A snake from a conjurer? Poison from an Alchemist? Even a swordsman walking up to someone from behind quietly. To this I am simply saying that it is not that difficult to sneak up behind someone and kill them without this, however in all honesty I have never seen someone let themselves be caught off guard in such a way. All I wish to point out is there are many other ways in which someone can be killed while they are not paying attention.

Your point however does retain a great deal of validity. This is something that may need to be fixed, and through this I am not entirely sure how. Perhaps levitating objects give off a sound? It would be slightly out of place, however if it were high pitched and fitting it could make sense.

Any ideas?

That is a fair comment, if they do not notice it, nothing can be done. If they do notice it however merely knocking the dagger out of the way will prevent such a fate as the telekinetic will lose focus.

However, in saying that what is to stop all other forms of magic or other methods of combat from doing a similar thing? A tendril from a shade? A snake from a conjurer? Poison from an Alchemist? Even a swordsman walking up to someone from behind quietly. To this I am simply saying that it is not that difficult to sneak up behind someone and kill them without this, however in all honesty I have never seen someone let themselves be caught off guard in such a way. All I wish to point out is there are many other ways in which someone can be killed while they are not paying attention.

Your point however does retain a great deal of validity. This is something that may need to be fixed, and through this I am not entirely sure how. Perhaps levitating objects give off a sound? It would be slightly out of place, however if it were high pitched and fitting it could make sense.

Any ideas?

That was pretty well said and a fairly balanced response.

Honestly, I think this is pretty good. Everyone complains that something will be easy to powergame for EVERY piece of lore that is suggested. This lore is fine, and no easier to powergame than any other magic or any other lore in general, and it would be safeguarded by the (some would say overly) cautious MAT with the apps and teachers to make sure they don't go astray.

The goal of this is not entirely to be a combat tool. It is more to add an interesting form of magic I feel is missing. In doing this I attempted to make it have very good utilitarian abilities, but also with that came the ability to use it for fighting. In order to balance this however, I do not mind if it is tweaked so that a sound or such is made to make it more balanced if the MAT deems such to be a fitting alteration though personally I do not see the ultimate need as many other things can be used to a similar end. In the end I am perfectly happy to have the MAT balance the magic, in particular things like this and the weights which can be lifted at each level.

I would agree with ski_king3, everything has the potential to be more powerful in some situations than others.

Wordy Explanation:

If you are in a pool with an elementalist, it is obvious the outcome. However if you take that magic user from a favorable environment they also become weak. Another example could be frostwitches who become weakened in intense heat however when not in such heat having shapeshifting man hunting abilities. The same concept can be extended to a telekinetic. Put him in a situation where there is little for him to manipulate, things will not turn out so fine for him, however if you put him in a cluttered room things will be different. My point being different situations are obviously going to lead to different results. If you put a telekinetic in an environment where they can not utilize it as well as those around them (Say a druid in a forest) then they will not be able to fight the druid on nearly the same level. If you are in an empty street and come across a guard who for some reason wants to capture/kill you, there is going to be almost nothing you can manipulate without them noticing and stopping you.

The odds are such a levitating stabbing situation will be incredibly rare as I can not see a mage being capable of being so sneaky they can hide behind people and stab them like that. In order to do that whoever they would be RPing with would have to be completely fine with being snuck up on because at any point they could simply emote seeing whoever is sneaking up behind them.

I could see this being extremely OP and powergamed. I can forsee people silently levitating a dagger behind someone's head and stab them, etc.

^That is basically what I'm thinking.

I'd also like to point out the funny notice of the 3 VATs that currently voted, all voted for No even though this has not been brought up at all in VAT chat. Makes me giggles.

Either way, no, I do not think this Lore would be suitable, and I would not like to see how hard people will powergame this.

Nyx, I'd actually like to point out that this will be magic and will need a Magic App which will help to weed out the powergamers and bad roleplayers.

Should they powergame it, you can report them to the Magic Team and they'll most likely take action. Sorry if I sound mean, I don't mean to. I'm just stating fact(to my knowledge).

On a more constructive note;

I'm really liking how this is turning out, Kalenz. You've done a good job with the core idea and responded well to feedback. I'm really hoping all your hard work won't be in vain. :grin:

Thank you Roxforbraynz/Elwen,

I have very much indeed been trying to make this as balanced as possible.

The only solution I can see is adding sound to telekinesis, wouldn't fit perfectly but would be a solution. Or, alternatively making surprise combat with telekinesis something which requires OOC consent much like Blood Evocation does. This would leave a solution avoiding such an over powered method which I personally can not see it to be used often. However I don't feel like this is too much of an issue that it needs to be adressed, but I will try to incorporate it.

EDIT: That has been included temporarily (and will remain unless another better suggestion is made) as I found it a good idea.

Isn't OOC consent needed for any type of RP killing?

Isn't OOC consent needed for any type of RP killing?

Permanent killing, yes.

You don't need their permission to kill them in role-play, though.

For example, my Frost Witch character has claimed many victims, although I have only ever PvP'd twice.

I think a surprise attack with telekinesis would need both a VA 2A(Murder unprovoked) and OOC consent along with appropriate RP leading up to the surprise attack(Actually lifting the dagger and hovering it behind their head, and if they're good roleplayers then they'll roll with it.)

Alternatively;

A telekinetic is unable to levitate the dagger fast enough to really cause any damage, therefore making it impossible. Basically make a limit to how fast they can move an object, thus making it useless for that situation as they couldn't plunge the dagger in fast enough.

Any final alterations can be debated by the MAT if they desire. Personally I don't see this required in light of Polgrath's comment below.

Since so many polls have been put up on this thread it appears I can not put any more up without the numbers being glitchy, so... If those of you who read this would be able to choose their preferred method:

A ) A telekinetic is unable to levitate the dagger fast enough to really cause any damage, therefore making it impossible. Basically make a limit to how fast they can move an object, thus making it useless for that situation as they couldn't plunge the dagger in fast enough.

B ) A telekinetic requires OOC consent for a surprise attack in addition to a VA 2a/b.

((Voided in light of below.))

Bro, this is such an awesome idea but a brief suggestion. You're sorta bending over backwards to make sure everyone is happy and the cries of OPness are silenced. While a noble goal, don't nerf you're idea too badly. If a telekinecitic wants to throw a dagger with the magic he's accepted with in a justified fight, he should be allowed to. The person at the recieving end of the attack is free to counter emote *dodges, *blocks, *takes dagger to face.. etc much as a knife thrower would RP. I see no need for a VA simply for using the element of surprise. So what if they can hurl objects folks? Anyone can pick up a rock or pointy object and hurl it. They're just doing it without actually picking up the thing. No massive fireballs, mind control, or really anything too OP involved in it. :)

With that - I believe this lore is balanced enough, and has been reviewed enough to be put up for review by the MAT. Any balancing suggestions made by them are welcome such as weights (Increase/Decrease or any other desired change) , speed, anything brought up here or even any other concerns they wish to balance.

A PM has been sent to Mezegura to notify them as such.