[✓] [Awaiting MAT Review] Electrical Evocation [Magic]

Supremacy

70 members have voted

1. 1. Should this lore be implemented?

• Yes
    • No (Give reason)
    • If it is altered (Give reason)

Did you just refute his argument based on the fact he cited wikipedia? We aren't a peer editing scientific journal. I can't even fathom why you would bother to make that point.

Google it yourself... Seriously now... http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/home/F_What_Causes_Lightning_Flash.html

The negativity charged particles, are created by heat, the heat draws them closer together so they form a negatively charged cloud, <-- this is the basics of it, even if it only says in the lightning Wikipedia page, this is how negative charged particles occur. Remember Wikipedia is a sharing website anyone can change or add wrong facts, try to use an appropriated science website next time.

No, you are incorrect.

If you're really going to protest about sourcing Wikipedia, I will use another source.

Edit:

Did you just refute his argument based on the fact he cited wikipedia? We aren't a peer editing scientific journal. I can't even fathom why you would bother to make that point.

This ^

Thunderstorms have very turbulent environments - strong updrafts and downdrafts occur often and close together. The updrafts carry small liquid water droplets from the lower regions of the storm to heights between 35,000 and 70,000 feet - miles above the freezing level. At the same time, downdrafts are transporting hail and ice from the frozen upper parts of the storm. When these particles collide, the water droplets freeze and release heat. This heat keeps the surface of the hail and ice slightly warmer than its surrounding environment, and a soft hail, or graupel forms.

When this graupel collides with additional water droplets and ice particles, a key process occurs involving electrical charge: negatively charged electrons are sheared off the rising particles and collect on the falling particles. The result is a storm cloud that is negatively charged at its base, and positively charged at the top.

Opposite charges attract one another. As the positive and negative areas grow more distinct within the cloud, an electric field is created between the oppositely-charged thunderstorm base and its top. The farther apart these regions are, the stronger the field and the stronger the attraction between the charges. But we cannot forget that the atmosphere is a very good insulator that inhibits electric flow. So, a HUGE amount of charge has to build up before the strength of the electric field overpowers the atmosphere's insulating properties. A current of electricity forces a path through the air until it encounters something that makes a good connection. The current is discharged as a stroke of lightning.

While all this is happening inside the storm, beneath the storm, positive charge begins to pool within the surface of the earth. This positive charge will shadow the storm wherever it goes, and is responsible for cloud-to-ground lightning. However, the electric field within the storm is much stronger than the one between the storm base and the earth 's surface, so about 75-80% of lightning occurs within the storm cloud.

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/primer/lightning/ltg_basics.html

I did not "refute?" His argument due to him using Wikipedia, I did it since he was wrong and right about the negatively charged particles, They form due to the heat and ice crystals, rubbing together, as why fire evocation is needed, to form the electric field, then form the two points positive charged and a negative charge points. from that the heat in the negative particles still roaming around the negative field need to compress together as with the crystal particles with air pushing at a force which then starts the spark, then that small spark generates the lightning, from that it in a instant goes towards the ground in a zigzagging formation pinpointing the right position towards the positive charged ground, from that Thunder is formed from the sonic shock wave given from the lightning.

I did not "refute?" His argument due to him using Wikipedia, I did it since he was wrong and right about the negatively charged particles, They form due to the heat and ice crystals, rubbing together, as why fire evocation is needed, to form the electric field, then form the two points positive charged and a negative charge points. from that the heat in the negative particles still roaming around the negative field need to compress together as with the crystal particles with air pushing at a force which then starts the spark, then that small spark generates the lightning, from that it in a instant goes towards the ground in a zigzagging formation pinpointing the right position towards the positive charged ground, from that Thunder is formed from the sonic shock wave given from the lightning.

Please go back and read both my posts again. You are wrong.

Heat is generated as a by-product of the friction of particles rubbing together and has nothing further to do with lightning.

If I might just say; it is my current understanding of biology that leads me to believe that our hands are not made out of kilometer-wide cumulonimbus clouds. The points about the creation of lightning through tales of ice and fire can actually be considered irrelevent.

I feel this is more about electricity rather than lightning. Perhaps conjuring down a lightning bolt from the sky would be a different subject all-together?

Woah, woah, woah, woah guys.

You guys are getting into the knitty gritty with sciences now. We're already shooting lightning bolts out of our hands like we're Emperor Palpatine. Why should we strive for such realism? If we wanted to debate on the realism of electricity shooting out of our hands, then I could say that we couldn't physically generate enough friction to start a fire with our hands either.

Anyways, the point is. It's maaaaaaaaaaaaagic~

After much discussion it was determined they wanted Lightning bolts -> Electrical bolts to avoid confusion.

This is Electrical evocation, we do not summon bolts from the sky all the time (Though it is possible to make a lightning like effect as detailed in the progression section).

I hope this makes everyone happy.

I feel the only reason the word "lightning" was used in this lore is because "electricity" is a term unlikely to be used in-game.

Lightning is just a stand-in word that makes it sound more magical. Similar names would be "thunder evocationist" or "storm evocationist"; they aren't accurate in terms of defining the actual magic, but they point in their general direction. Being as the magic has nothing to do with pulling down genuine lightning from the sky, I don't see how it matters.

If the word "lightning evocation" was changed to "electrical evocation" it would still not conflict with anything lore-wise, other than suddenly create the word "electricity" in Asulon.

Cappy every time I thought of something to post, you posted it first. All I can do is standby and +1 your posts rather than repeat what you have alread said lol.

Cappy is indeed awesome. <3

Uuuuh, isn't electricity an energy source? Not an element? Last time I checked lightning is an element... Pardon my lack of basic science...

Or maybe I should just read the lore....

But electricity also acts like more of a force than a physical substance... right?!

Plush one! (+1!) if this lore of yours is considered to be accepted, I will forever love you man... changing the magic world liek... wow...!

Plush one! (+1!) if this lore of yours is considered to be accepted, I will forever love you man... changing the magic world liek... wow...!

But electricity also acts like more of a force than a physical substance... right?!

Electricity is energy, not a force.

But fire ain't physical either.

Yes, electricity has to do with the movement of electrons between atoms.

Edit:

I'll ask again, how much about electrons and charged ions would a mage need to know (no matter how basic) before they are capable of electrical evocation? Just like the other 'elements', they'd need to learn how it is created.

But fire ain't physical either.

Then how do we buuuuurn if the fire makes contact with the entity if it's not physical!?

Edit: Sowy for making this sound like a science lesson...