[✓] [Awaiting MAT Review] Electrical Evocation [Magic]

Supremacy

70 members have voted

1. 1. Should this lore be implemented?

• Yes
    • No (Give reason)
    • If it is altered (Give reason)

I say just get off of that topic. It's not even important. This is MAGIC. Not SCIENCE, so it does not require the most scientifically correct reasoning. [Or something like that.]

I say just get off of that topic. It's not even important. This is MAGIC. Not SCIENCE, so it does not require the most scientifically correct reasoning. [Or something like that.]

Arcane magic is magic of the MIND, therefore a mage must understand their element before they can create it. If you just ignore realism and think, "MAGIC IS THE REASON!" then we'd be refuting all common ideas of arcane evocation that had been established beforehand.

I'll ask again, how much about electrons and charged ions would a mage need to know (no matter how basic) before they are capable of electrical evocation? Just like the other 'elements', they'd need to learn how it is created.

Wait, really? o_o My character might have a chance of learning it then...

I'll ask again, how much about electrons and charged ions would a mage need to know (no matter how basic) before they are capable of electrical evocation? Just like the other 'elements', they'd need to learn how it is created.

It would be possible to learn about static electricity, observe lightning and so on in Asulon. The mage would know they are having charges which cause the electrical bolt.

It would be possible to learn about static electricity, observe lightning and so on in Asulon. The mage would know they are having charges which cause the electrical bolt.

Yes, thank you.

However, I feel I was not clear enough. I'm not sure if there is enough proof in the world of Asulon to help mages truly understand lightning. As far as most people know, it is pure energy, thus their initial idea would probably be to exert as much of their energy as possible. This is far from the case of understanding the sharing of electrons between ions. Simply seeing a bolt of lightning could not tell someone how it is created. My point is, what do you think might give a mage an idea of how it works.

Actually one of the reasons I wrote this is because I actually know two characters who have taken it upon themselves to study lightning. Both of which now have lightning rods protruding off some building near where they live. So I would assume one could base their know-how on electrical evocation from:

- Redstone

- Static Electricity

- Lightning Rods

Essentially the mage is copying static electricity on a larger scale than a small shock you might get, but on a smaller scale than a lightning bolt.

Then how do we buuuuurn if the fire makes contact with the entity if it's not physical!?

Edit: Sowy for making this sound like a science lesson...

Fire is a way we see heat, and particules in combustion. It it not physical in a way that, it is a sort of energy giving signs of existing. But yes, it is kind of physical, it is the location where the combustion takes place. By physical I mean you can grab it, you can't analize it in detail like you can solid matter and air. Electricity goes a little more than that. It is still physical, it exists and the reasons why are known, but it's like light, you can only see the effects, but not the physical happenings.

How would someone even look down into the Atoms, or electrons?. . . . a positive and negative field?. From my understandings no one was able till 1945, That or a little down, A mage does not have super good eye sight to see that low so they would not be able to find or even understand this, A new way must be found as this is different from RealLife maybe it can change, of some sorts.

Allow me to say something about Fire Evocation, when a pyromancer is evoking his magic he must know how heat of any form is created, which is friction. That is the basis of ALL fire evocation, but what else is made with friction? Electricity? (ie: That little spinny thing that makes little electrical sparks) So, if one REALLY thinks about, one could say that electrical evocation would simply be an extended and more advanced form of fire evocation.

Of course, only certain metals will allow this to occur

Ah yes Ambros, that is what I know and understand how electricity is a higher form of fire evocation but when I was talking towards a MagicTeam member about it through skype they shut me down, since it wouldn't indicate it as much, since the necromancy lightning is one of the reasons, but I am glad for this lore, Maybe if a fire evocationist was able to learn this slightly faster and maybe more powerful then if just learning electric evocation of scratch?.

Allow me to say something about Fire Evocation, when a pyromancer is evoking his magic he must know how heat of any form is created, which is friction. That is the basis of ALL fire evocation, but what else is made with friction? Electricity? (ie: That little spinny thing that makes little electrical sparks) So, if one REALLY thinks about, one could say that electrical evocation would simply be an extended and more advanced form of fire evocation.

Of course, only certain metals will allow this to occur

As far as I know, electricity is not created by friction... Kinetic energy is able to be converted into electricity if it causes a metal coil to spin within a magnet... Creating an electromagnetic field.

Bear in mind that one does not necessarily need to know the molecular physics of electricity to create it through the void and project it into reality. The more you know and account for, the easier/more practical it is, but you could realistically expect a mage to create electricity just by know more basic properties of electricity than those of the molecular level.

Such observations of static electricity and the properties of such, how electricity affects the world around it, how it interacts with various objects and lifeforms, ect. could all go towards formulating the spell.

Understanding electricity on a molecular level would require scientific observational methods that escape medieval era ability. And such advanced knowledge would probably allow one to manipulate electricity with little to no effort as well, since you are faking virtually nothing at that point.

One must understand that in LotC's Arcane magics, parts of the science are deliberately fudged. It is understood that mages cannot fully realize the scientific processes behind each and every spell. Mana is burned to make up for what must be forced into reality. Understanding as much science as possible allows the mage to make the summon less "fake" or "forced" into reality. The less forced it is, the less Mana that needs to be donated to keep it in place.

So you do not need to perfectly understand lightning on a scientific level, but there does have to be a firm base in science.

I concur, the point of the matter is: don't think so hard. Do you know what electricity is? Do you know a basic idea of how it comes about? Do you know what it does?

Also, perhaps this is an example as to why electrical magic should be bound to necromancy for it might be far to complex for minds such as Lotc mages to understand. As necromancers do not need to know how their magic works with science as they are a form of Divine magic.

Bear in mind that one does not necessarily need to know the molecular physics of electricity to create it through the void and project it into reality. The more you know and account for, the easier/more practical it is, but you could realistically expect a mage to create electricity just by know more basic properties of electricity than those of the molecular level.

Such observations of static electricity and the properties of such, how electricity affects the world around it, how it interacts with various objects and lifeforms, ect. could all go towards formulating the spell.

Understanding electricity on a molecular level would require scientific observational methods that escape medieval era ability. And such advanced knowledge would probably allow one to manipulate electricity with little to no effort as well, since you are faking virtually nothing at that point.

One must understand that in LotC's Arcane magics, parts of the science are deliberately fudged. It is understood that mages cannot fully realize the scientific processes behind each and every spell. Mana is burned to make up for what must be forced into reality. Understanding as much science as possible allows the mage to make the summon less "fake" or "forced" into reality. The less forced it is, the less Mana that needs to be donated to keep it in place.

So you do not need to perfectly understand lightning on a scientific level, but there does have to be a firm base in science.

Thank you, that was quite clear and it makes more sense to me. :)

I concur, the point of the matter is: don't think so hard. Do you know what electricity is? Do you know a basic idea of how it comes about? Do you know what it does?

Also, perhaps this is an example as to why electrical magic should be bound to necromancy for it might be far to complex for minds such as Lotc mages to understand. As necromancers do not need to know how their magic works with science as they are a form of Divine magic.

I disagree, although the science behind lightning might be too complicated to be in the reach of LotC mages, going off of what Blaw said, I do believe it is pheesible... Although, it would require a mage to understand much more of how lightning works yet they would have to make up a large portion of it, thus using more mana and making it more physically exhausting to cast for a mage than a necromancer. :)