Gy'waka Bird

Wretched

This has my absolute and utmost support. The Kharajyr need this style of thing to distinguish themselves other than having; fur, tails and claws. Well done Ben, wonderful.

I can't stress enough, that this is purely a Kha' mount. Not something that every other person in the world will be riding because it's the new thing. The Kha' need something like this to spice up their already pretty stale RP.

Also considering they are flightless and native to the said island it would be rather powergame for random players to claim they have a 'pet' Gy'Waka of their own. It would be an absolute mission to smuggle one of these massive things back to the mainland as well as included deaths and damage that may occur.

Just kidding, I love this lore. Should see that the Kha get some unique RP, especially in regards to discovering and taming these creatures.

I'm seriously considering using my Kha alt (who was implemented but never played) in 3.0 ... dreams for the future, perhaps.

Brilliant idea, it would certainly make the Kha even more unique than they already are.

Also considering they are flightless and native to the said island it would be rather powergame for random players to claim they have a 'pet' Gy'Waka of their own. It would be an absolute mission to smuggle one of these massive things back to the mainland as well as included deaths and damage that may occur.

Challenge Accepted

Also seriously, this is literally the best most amazing thing ever. I love it. A lot. This will make the kha so awesome, and hopefully people won't continue to whine about them and ignore their unique RP and positive presence in our imaginary world of RP.

Your bird is capable of running at 50 mph? To put that into perspective, that is about four times faster than a horse, and almost as fast as a cheetah can sprint. The Horse and Cheetah are both animals adapted to large open environments, where speed is a necessity. Your bird is a jungle bird, where 50 mph travel + Poor eyesight = George of the Jungle tree-smash. Maybe ten mph for a very agile bird, but it still needs that sight in there or trees are going to be a huge problem. Unless you mean to imply that your bird can "hear" the individual trees in an environment filled with leaves, life, and other objects to interfere with their sensory perception. I'm guessing it can't, considering:

Nope, because the Kha' ride and direct them. Hence why without Kha', they're pretty useless.

That tells me they should have died off a long time ago from 50 mph tree collisions and inability to find food (you are not going to "hear" your way to food in a jungle teaming with life. And if you could, your hearing perception is so great that it far surpasses any animal present in the world today and would make the bird a monstrous power that could virtually never be approached, simply because it would have zero difficult evading you. Such incredible hearing prowess is arguable better than an animals elevated sense of smell, as the limitations of hearing are tossed out the window, while animal's smell is still subjected to limitations such as being wind direction ect.)

It seems as if a lot of time and effort was put into it. And after reading the lore, it sounds interesting and it would be great if it was implemented, My one complaint is that the bird might be a bit too big. I hope this is implemented.

Your bird is capable of running at 50 mph? To put that into perspective, that is about four times faster than a horse, and almost as fast as a cheetah can sprint. The Horse and Cheetah are both animals adapted to large open environments, where speed is a necessity. Your bird is a jungle bird, where 50 mph travel + Poor eyesight = George of the Jungle tree-smash. Maybe ten mph for a very agile bird, but it still needs that sight in there or trees are going to be a huge problem. Unless you mean to imply that your bird can "hear" the individual trees in an environment filled with leaves, life, and other objects to interfere with their sensory perception. I'm guessing it can't, considering:

That tells me they should have died off a long time ago from 50 mph tree collisions and inability to find food (you are not going to "hear" your way to food in a jungle teaming with life. And if you could, your hearing perception is so great that it far surpasses any animal present in the world today and would make the bird a monstrous power that could virtually never be approached, simply because it would have zero difficult evading you. Such incredible hearing prowess is arguable better than an animals elevated sense of smell, as the limitations of hearing are tossed out the window, while animal's smell is still subjected to limitations such as being wind direction ect.)

A horse is usually able to run at a speed ranging from 30 to 35 mph, so it's not actually that big of a jump. And why would their speeds need to be lower anyway? It's simply a different type of creature and is never going to share any of it's qualities with your common horse. It'd be unrealistic for all mounted animals to run at the same speed.

But I agree with you on the hearing part. I did this in an attempt to create a more unique creature, as usually birds have good eyesight over their hearing, and I felt this would change that a little to encourage a 'fantasy' experience, knowing how seperate these birds are to your common bird. I will probably edit this lore though, as you do make a fair point that I had failed to consider.

EDIT: I have now done so. Thank you for the enlightening feedback :lol: I honestly hadn't though about that.

The Gy'waka birds will never hunt the more dangerous humanoid creatures unless they are so desperate for food that there simply is no other choice, however they will happily kill and consume children that wouldn't usually pose a threat, on a daily basis.

Damn straight.

I find while this may be great, It also gives an unfair advantage to the kharajyr. Also many players may unfairly acquire a Gy'waka and or abuse it in warfare as well as many other situations. Though I love every single bit of this, If it were to be added, I would advise strict rules concerning gy'waka use.

The thing is, the use of this bird in war for the Kharajyr would included a mass amount of transport via ships as they are stationed on an island. So using them as war machines of sorts would be a massive pain in the rear end :P Also, these birds are MASSIVE, so pretty easy targets for a cannon or even an archer to take on. Granted, a single archer would probably be eaten before taking it out on ground level.

Edit: Also, for a foreign man/women to take one of these birds it would require both a ship, a way of sedating/containing the creature and also the man power to drag it to said ship.

Not to mention that as stated in the lore, these bird take years to train and are also volatile to non-Kharajyr.

Basically, if you can wrangle one off of the island and tame it. I owe you a drink.

I like this idea very much. Not really something that harms anyone in particular and has a good set up weaknesses. Most people besides Kha will never see them since how oils a flightless bird get off the island? Anyway, I say have your birds!

I would say its a good idea and something different. Not only for the Kharajyr but for other races trying to get near one. I can see it now, orcs going to our island to try to grab one for a big fest. Giant chicken to eat, lol.

A horse is usually able to run at a speed ranging from 30 to 35 mph, so it's not actually that big of a jump. And why would their speeds need to be lower anyway? It's simply a different type of creature and is never going to share any of it's qualities with your common horse. It'd be unrealistic for all mounted animals to run at the same speed.

Assuming 35mph, your forest bird is still moving at twice the pace of a plains animal. It is fine for an animal to be faster than another animal, what isn't so understandable is how a jungle creature evolved to be faster than a plains creature. The cheetah, a plains creature who's body specifically evolved to be the fastest animal alive in a dead sprint over a very, very short distance, can barely outpace your bird. And your bird lives in the jungle. As a rule, creatures that live on the plains develop to be faster than those living in the jungle. For one, less obstacles to deal with (I don't just mean trees) and secondarily a lack of options to escape predators necessitates speed as an escape method, or else a pack to protect you. Often times both. The Horse, an animal bred by humans to hold speed over flat lengths for extended periods of time, cannot outpace your rookie jungle bird. It's horrible unrealistic. Even assuming your bird was agile enough to avoid the trees, it would have to lift its legs to nearly its body with every step in order to avoid tripping or being injured by ground cover, an act which would be fatal at 60 mph.

Assuming 35mph, your forest bird is still moving at twice the pace of a plains animal. It is fine for an animal to be faster than another animal, what isn't so understandable is how a jungle creature evolved to be faster than a plains creature. The cheetah, a plains creature who's body specifically evolved to be the fastest animal alive in a dead sprint over a very, very short distance, can barely outpace your bird. And your bird lives in the jungle. As a rule, creatures that live on the plains develop to be faster than those living in the jungle. For one, less obstacles to deal with (I don't just mean trees) and secondarily a lack of options to escape predators necessitates speed as an escape method, or else a pack to protect you. Often times both. The Horse, an animal bred by humans to hold speed over flat lengths for extended periods of time, cannot outpace your rookie jungle bird. It's horrible unrealistic. Even assuming your bird was agile enough to avoid the trees, it would have to lift its legs to nearly its body with every step in order to avoid tripping or being injured by ground cover, an act which would be fatal at 60 mph.

Then I'll say say 45mph rather than 50... The reason they're faster than a horse designed to run across flat distances is quite simple: They have very large, strong legs that are designed to be able to carry them through the jungle floor with very little effort. If anything gets in the way of their massive feet, then it'll get crushed as it strides through it. These strong legs also mean they can run fast, although that's not their original purpose, it's what happens when the jungle is moved away from them. By taking away the jungle, the bird can remove the one factor that holds it's speed back and it can focus it's massive legs into the one thing that matters: Speed.

And as stated before, it's a smart bird. It knows that running into a tree is going to hurt... So it simply won't do that. It'll keep it's pace down while keeping it's legs strong by weaving about the jungle enviroment. And I should also mention that the spacings between trees in the Kha' jungle are large enough for two of these birds to fit through (perhaps if they suck in :P), and there are large natural walkways riddled about the jungle where the birds can move back and forth with moderate ease and very few obstacles.