Gy'waka Bird

Wretched

I don't think you understand how insanely impossible it would be for this bird to exist practically speaking. Dropping 5mph does nothing to change that, nor do "Super Strong Legs" Compensate for foliage density and the need for agility.

First, bird based beings are generally not heavy, and therefore do not need "Super Strong Legs" to carry itself with ease. The ostrich (another plains creature and not dissimilar to your own flightless bird) runs with the aided effort of it's wings, using the wings in a flapping motion to propel itself along even as it runs. That being said: Lets assume your creatures legs are somehow super strong and can just ignore the ridiculously thick foliage of the jungle (an adaptation that is shared with no other creature in history except perhaps a few limited cases like the elephant and the rhino, depending on how you view it). Your bird is still going to die from trees. Take you on a motorcycle. Now, say you were cruising along a highway at 45mph. Suddenly, trees. Trees everywhere. You are in a rainforest. I am guessing you aren't dumb enough to run into a tree, however unless you slow your cycle way down, you are going to die in this rainforest. It's not about intelligence level, it's about the ability to 1. Process the information of literally hundreds of trees all hurtling at you at 45 mph 2. Registering a safe path which may not even exist and may require a complete course adjustment 3. Acting with enough agility that you can shift your 45 mph mass several times completely adjusting course constantly throughout your run, regularly fighting your own body's momentum to avoid every tree, all while never once slowing down or dropping pace.

Having super strong legs with a lot of muscle mass, actually makes it worse in this case, as that is just more momentum that needs to be shifted. Horses and Cheetah could not accomplish the agility necessary to move at such a rapid pace through a dense jungle, that's why they live in plains environments.

I'm not saying your bird has to be totally realistic. We are in a fantasy world after all. I am just saying that A] You are really stretching the realm of imagination with this animal and B] A bird capable of traveling 45mph, and predatory (meaning it help in combat) gives the Kha a huge advantage, and in theory they could win virtually any war through cavalry alone. An Orc might be able to face a charging Gy'waka, but a Kha on it's back with a sturdy spear would make such a feat impossible. And since your bird has such ridiculously strong legs and crazy unreasonable agility, traditional trapping methods used to box in charging cavalry in our RL wars of the past, are virtually useless against your bird. For example, there was a trap where spearmen would stand to either side of an opening against a charging horse. The horse, not wanting to be skewered, goes between the two spearmen groups. It is then met by a wall of shields, halting it's advance, and surrounded. The method was used to take down countless charging chariots in the past. Your bird cloud literally stop and turn on a dime, never missing a beat and never coming close to being trapped.

An awful lot of assuming going on...

Quite simply, I disagree. You're comparing everything to IRL stating this and that can't happen because of this IRL. I know you're completely aware that LoTC and IRL are two very different places as you've stated this yourself, but to change the creature we've made to fit an IRL standpoint would destroy what we want to see from it.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated but I'm not willing to change the lore any further.

kZMmR.jpg

Having super strong legs with a lot of muscle mass, actually makes it worse in this case, as that is just more momentum that needs to be shifted. Horses and Cheetah could not accomplish the agility necessary to move at such a rapid pace through a dense jungle, that's why they live in plains environments.

I would also like to rebuttal this. A quarter horse is capable of hitting 45mph, and there is a couple sports that focus on going at high speeds while hitting sharp turns. These sports are barrel racing and pole weaving. Cheetah are also able to make some DECENTLY sharp turns while going 70mph after their prey. Which usually consists of Thomson's Gazelle [Who hit about 50mph] that zig zag like a mofo to escape these big cats.

I would direct you to this video, that shows both barrel racing and pole weaving. As well as possible accidents that are plausible with these large birds.

I would ALSO also like to add, as you said yourself, this is a fantasy world. Real logic does not apply for the most part. However, these creatures already SORT OF exist in the real world. Ostriches, emu, and the lovely cassowary. All of these birds can go at high speeds and ostrich can even be ridden and are raced. Also all of these animals can stomp your face in with little to no effort.

Something to be said about mother nature. It doesn't like you and will invent all kinds of critters to wreck you.

I stand corrected. Deco's evidence has undermined my argument. I concede that the cassoway is proof that a being can travel at 32 mph and not clip trees in a jungle atmosphere.

To begin, a Gy'waka must first be trained to register a Kha's voice. The training Kha' will first produce soft clicking sounds with his or her mouth while gently pulling on the reins to direct the bird's head in the direction of which way you wish it to turn and face.

Assuming that the Kha are akin to humanoid cats and share their rough, thin tongues, would they be capable of making clicking sounds? It's not a vitally important detail, just seemed a little odd to me. Growl or purr sounds perhaps?

Assuming that the Kha are akin to humanoid cats and share their rough, thin tongues, would they be capable of making clicking sounds? It's not a vitally important detail, just seemed a little odd to me. Growl or purr sounds perhaps?

Yeah have to agree with that one, think our purrs are nice smoothing sound to calm the bird down and growl to pace up.

Also if only: (animal bike mod)

chocobo.jpg

Kha' are more than humanoid cats. If they had the tounge of your common house cat, speaking itself would become a major challange. They're extremely similar to IRL cats, but not completely. And since Kharajyr were made by the Daemon Metztli via combining genetics of other creatures to form this 'perfect' creation, I see no reason why they can't have your normal humanoid tounge much like the other races of Asulon.

Hrm, I think you have some things about bird biology to learn ;)

First off, if everything it needed was on the ground, it would retain a huge advantage by having wings. It wouldn't lose them.

Second, these birds are birds of prey. You state that they have a poor sense of eyesight. If birds of prey, who evolved to catch prey from the air while on the wing, they would rely heavily on eyesight to catch meals. Just like real life raptors.

What would hunt these birds? Predatorial themselves, they would scarcely provide enough meat for anything that hunts them. And what would be able to hunt an 11 foot tall bird? Why did they all collectively move to the kha island?

Haha mate, I think you may need to learn, I'm from New Zealand and we have many species of flightless birds, that were once birds that could fly. The kiwi, the Kakapo and the southern spotted heron. And do you know why they are flightless, because everything they needed (a vast collection of berries and such) was found on the forest floor, also the lack of predators resulted in them having literally no need for their wings. the birds I mentioned are endangered now because colonisation brought predators, (Thats the reason I know this, at an early age we're told to respect endangered species, and don't take your dog for a walk in national parks ETC ETC). What I'm saying is that the biology behind this lore is extremely thought out, and completely accurate.

Ok I love this idea, cats riding horses are strange, heres my question, this will be pure RP right? I kn ow its a dumb question, but there isn't any plan to allow people to mount chickens? ((There is a plugin that can do that :P). Also just one little thing I picked up, (Sorry for being fussy) was that you said they ave very bad hearing, yet their sense of intelligence/memory allows them to know to runh and hide when they hear hunters coming through the bush. (those weren't the exact words but you get my drift).

Anyway great lore there, good on ya!

Ok I love this idea, cats riding horses are strange, heres my question, this will be pure RP right? I kn ow its a dumb question, but there isn't any plan to allow people to mount chickens? ((There is a plugin that can do that ). Also just one little thing I picked up, (Sorry for being fussy) was that you said they ave very bad hearing, yet their sense of intelligence/memory allows them to know to runh and hide when they hear hunters coming through the bush. (those weren't the exact words but you get my drift).

Anyway great lore there, good on ya!

Yeah, it'd be pure RP. They'd act as mounts too, for things like fast travel and having them present in seiges, but you'd never be able to ride one forward by MC mechanics and perform mass murder via a giant chicken. The main reason we want them, is for the RP they'll bring. And yes, usually if hunters were sneaking their way over to them, they'd have no problem in getting near enough to attack as long as they hadn't been seen. But although their sense of hearing is poor, that doesn't mean it's not present at all. They will easily hear shouting as I've said in the main post.

For example, if they hear the shouting of a race that commonly hunts their kind in the distance, they will of remembered this and they'll flee.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I love it Ben. You've done it again.

But.. i think your model is too big and if we are going to use them for fast travel i think it needs to be smaller. here look at mine.

t7xrw3.png

vsdetc.png

d7cie.png

This lore has been somewhat agree'd upon with some changes that would like to be seen such as:

Changes in senses:

-Eyesight: Have very good vision as stated, but suffered from blind spots since it's eyes are located on the sides of it's head. So large blind spot behind the bird still allows for easy sneaking up on. Directly above, and directly in front, give a bird a disadvantage. It would have to cock and tilt it's head about like most birds to see. Cannot see well at night.

-Hearing: Front living in a jungle it's vision would be absurd by but dense forest, and plant life. Hearing would be necessary for it's survival. Specially when trying to ambush small pray.

-Sense of Smell: None

-Taste: Poor, their tongue lacks taste buds, but the roof of their mouth carries a few receptors.

Update Regional:

-Resides in Jungle only, will not leave by choice.

-If removed it'll have to be bound and dragged, often acting depressed away from it's home.

-May have excellent sight, but bright lighting hurts their sensitive eyes.

-Does no look up, since it considers itself a top predator. Kha could easily drop in from above then.

This lore has been somewhat agree'd upon with some changes that would like to be seen such as:

Changes in senses:

-Eyesight: Have very good vision as stated, but suffered from blind spots since it's eyes are located on the sides of it's head. So large blind spot behind the bird still allows for easy sneaking up on. Directly above, and directly in front, give a bird a disadvantage. It would have to cock and tilt it's head about like most birds to see. Cannot see well at night.

-Hearing: Front living in a jungle it's vision would be absurd by but dense forest, and plant life. Hearing would be necessary for it's survival. Specially when trying to ambush small pray.

-Sense of Smell: None

-Taste: Poor, their tongue lacks taste buds, but the roof of their mouth carries a few receptors.

Update Regional:

-Resides in Jungle only.

-May have excellent sight, but bright lighting hurts their sensitive eyes.

-Does no look up, since it considers itself a top predator. Kha could easily drop in from above then.

-

I'm quite happy with these changes, it doesn't de-rail the Gy'waka from what we sought it to be and could in fact invoke some amazing roleplay.

These changes will still be able to adapt into what we had planned for our role-play, perhaps even better in fact.