[Shelved][Lore] The Ro'ah Tree

Princeton

~The Ro'ah Tree~

AtG2SgK.jpg

The Ro'ah is a coniferous tree, never loosing it's leaves throughout the seasons. This tree is long-lived and extremely slow-growing. The nodules on the roots fix nitrogen, producing a more fertile soil, the leaves provide vital browse for herbivores, and the extensive root system stabilizes the soil. Mature Ro'ah trees, if chopped down and removed, are extremely light weight and durable.

--

The Ro'ah tree is most commonly found surrounded by other tree's in dense forests. A Ro'ah tree can be distinguished by it's almost jet black to dark purple bark. The Ro'ah tree is commonly sought out by wood carvers and also smiths because of it's extremely light weight and durable bark. The Ro'ah tree is considered precious to the elves because it's naturally prone to being used for long bows and hilts and parts of blades.

--

Along with the Ro'ah trees many advantages, there are also disadvantages. The Ro'ah tree is almost impossible to build on, due to the fact that it is incredibly flammable. If the Ro'ah tree is directly confronted with fire, the strong and durable bark will actually begin to melt and then burn completely. This comes as a major disappointment to some because it is such a large tree. Many people do not know this weakness, and build on the tree anyways only to be in for a surprise.

--

Along with being incredibly flammable, the Ro'ah tree is incredibly rare. It is only found in some of the oldest forests, and almost impossible to find because it is completely surround by other dark trees. Some things that point to Ro'ah trees are old oaken trees, and a river is often near if a Ro'ah tree is found.

Glad to see you've added some disadvantages :)

I fully support this idea. It provides roleplay without invoking powergaming, due the fact that there's nothing to powergame upon bar a slightly stronger wood. But of course, the strength advantage is leveled out by the flammability disadvantage. Great work!

Perhaps you want to add detail on how its tightly packed molecular structure (it being stronger than your average tree) results in its incredible flamability?

We need lore for having new trees?  That's stupid.  Why don't you go ahead with RPing this?  It's not like it'd harm anyone, if anything it'll make roleplay better.  Things like new weapon need lore imo.

Well, technically, I would probably attempt to make a weapon out of the bark from the tree. I would hope other people would try to make bows, staves, and sword hilts from them, as I think it would make unique role-play.

You really don't have to make lore for a tree.  Unless you want to try and say it makes particularly strong weapons (which is unlikely, bows from different trees are really measured in quality by durability, they aren't much different in design).  A fine, durable longbow could be crafted from this tree, but there isn't any reason why an arrow fired from this bow would be more powerful than from another bow.  Anyways, with that out of the way, go ahead and start RPing it!  You won't get into trouble.  Add an entry like this to the wiki even-people can learn more from small tidbits of lore like this.  I constantly conjure up new types of weeds, roots, plants, etc to better suit Druidic RP.  You just have to be smart with what you are doing.

Well, It kinda does make particularly strong wood. The bark of the tree, once refined, is close to the strength of stone, but much lighter.

How would that affect a bow?  Only in durability.  Bow strength isn't measured by the strength of its wood.  Go ahead and RP it.

Lore has been shelved and moved to the appropriate subforum. If you have questions about why this specific lore has been shelved, please contact me via forum PM or over discord at Rift#8931.