[Lotc Official] Rp Vs Rpg: Why Your Character Is Not Perfect

Cyndikate

The differences between RP and RPG

RPG(Or Roleplaying games):

The player plays the role of the main character in a linear storyline, the hero, the dohvakin, the chosen one. Over the course of the RPG the player gains new items and new spells, to make his character stronger. In RPGs the main character is destined to be a hero that slays powerful bosses, such as dragons, giants, and powerful wizards. In order to progress and “beat the game”, the hero must defeat these powerful bosses. Many players who migrated from RPGs such as Skyrim, Devil May Cry, and Far Cry are under the mindset that they are the heroes, the chosen ones, and find themselves creating badass uber characters based on the RPGs they’ve played, and also making it their sole mission to win the RP. They created their characters in a way that their characters are unstoppable, and can never lose no matter the circumstances. These characters make the RP experience frustrating for the other players around them.

In RPGs, players tend to progress, and sometimes grind their way to reaching their goal.

RP(Or Role Play)

Roleplaying is creating any character the player wishes, and setting out in another world through their eyes. A roleplayer’s job is to create their own story and enhance the story and experience of other roleplayers around them. Unlike most RPGs, players can create any character they want to play and choose their own path. In RP, realism is more emphasized of that of RPGs. In a roleplay setting, there is no main character. There is no hero, chosen one, or invincible player. There is less point in winning, getting the loot, or slaying powerful dragons. In a roleplay setting, each player plays a special role in changing the storyline. They work together and cooperate to make each other’s experience enjoyable. Even a farmer or a peasant plays an influential part of the server and the players around them. In Roleplay, losing is less punishing and can in fact gain you more respect from the playerbase. Whether you win or lose, you have played a part in a cooperative roleplay environment. When you lose in RP, you just made another player’s experience much more enjoyable and that in itself should grant you a good feeling inside. Even if you lose in RP, you win by making sure that both sides have fun. In roleplay, power and items aren’t everything, and a fun and enjoyable roleplay experience should be prioritized. In roleplay, players should understand that even the most powerful or perfect character can at some point falter.

Conclusion:

Lord of the Craft is an Roleplay server, not an RPG server. If you come to play the character that you want to play, and you wish to make a contribution to the cooperative roleplay experience, and enhance the server’s storyline, you are encouraged to play on this server. Granted, you are free to play whatever character you see fit, but do not make it your sole mission to be the most OP character and win every RP fight thrown at you. Your are also advised to roleplay in a realistic sense which most RPG games lack.

Many players that have migrated from RPGs are under the mindset that they must win, get items and obtain power. In a roleplay setting, you are not the chosen one, or the ultimate main character, nor will you ever be. In roleplay, winning doesn’t matter. Being the most powerful character on the server may or may not gain you as much respect as playing a peasant. You can win every single fight in RP, and the only person who would really care is you. Always keep in mind that even the most powerful hero will at some point falter. No one is perfect and your character shouldn’t be the exception. He will make mistakes, be scared, and will lose. One should not make every attempt to win or be the best, but instead focus on having fun and making sure other players have fun in the process. 

Regardless of what character you play, again, you still play a role and contribute to influencing the storylines of other players and perhaps the server itself.

I thank you for taking a time to read this guide, and if you have any questions or concerns please make a reply.

People that put a substancial amount of time into their characters to achieve the strength they have that may seem on the borderline of Powergaming have every right to RP their character the way they want. If they're prepared to spend the time learning, training and spending their time to achieve these 'OP' capabilities there should be no worries.  

There is a differnce between OP and PG. OP characters have substancial training, and thus are far beyond the capabilites of the mediocre characters. PG characters have these capabilities from the inital get-go, with no background, no rp training nothing.

Fact of the matter is; people can, and should be allowed to RP theses characters if they're prepared to put the time and effort in.

If I was reading this as a new player I would be really demoralised and walk away from this server. Most people come here wanting to be the next epic character or what have you, and telling people they can't do this, can't do that, and that they must be limited to mediocrity all the time is a bad idea, everyone should be ambitious to do cool and epic things, this server was built entirely around this concept.

New players, if you read this post, go for it and be whatever you want to be, try to make a difference and do those cool and epic things.

You can't try to force or push players to do as you and a select few wish, fact of the matter is, most people want to play a character that is a hero, recognizable to everyone in the realm, you even said this yourself 'The thing is here that 90% of the server consists of master warriors, super ninjas and heroic players who want to be the main character.', so why is it they must conform? Why don't the other 10%... the minority.

If I was reading this as a new player I would be really demoralised and walk away from this server. Most people come here wanting to be the next epic character or what have you, and telling people they can't do this, can't do that, and that they must be limited to mediocrity all the time is a bad idea, everyone should be ambitious to do cool and epic things, this server was built entirely around this concept.

New players, if you read this post, go for it and be whatever you want to be, try to make a difference and do those cool and epic things.

The point isn't to discourage players into playing what they want, but to discourage them from playing overly perfect characters that try to win every single piece of RP, prioritize items and being the best over providing engaging roleplay.

Players like the guide says can play whatever they wish, as long as they learn to lose and provide roleplay for others as well.

The fact of the matter is if they want to be the new Ezio and don't break any rules doing it, they can be the next Ezio.

I mean if we are going to start telling people how they need to make a character (Again, so long as its not rule breaking character to begin with) then why make them apply at all? Why not just make a character for them and say "Here, you are this guy now."

So in other words: No Gary/Mary Stue?

Sighs...surprisingly, this sums up the guide.

My character is a Grandsariant and Knight Commander from being a peasant.

I think I have a right to be above average.

This guide seems to give off the impression that 'mediocrity is good'. My policy is that your character can be powerful if you work for it, and if you want to you should be able to.

This 10%... Would that not be the majority of Malinor? I think this is a slight exageration, on your part Cydi. Apart from this however, I do see and understand your point. Yes it gets a little tiring when a lot of the new players join and want to be the greatest hero that has ever lived, but that does not give you the right to tell them they should do otherwise. I myself believe it or not started that way, but over time my own perceptions oon what is enjoyable and relaxing have altered until now, I am spending the majority of my time rp-ing a Dryad ^.^. But like I said, I have grown out of it, and I expect that numerous other player have too. Let the new's play as they want and if they are doing something that you think is not interesting, or you find their rp boring, give them a quiet word, and a helping hand. Believe me when I say I know that it can get exasperating, but just bare with them, and you might find you have more in common with them than you first thought.

levi~