[Lotc Official] Rp Vs Rpg: Why Your Character Is Not Perfect

Cyndikate

Nice guide, Cyndi!

Sure, you guys can have your powerful characters, espicially if you've worked up to it, but we also need characters who are different. The world is lacking in cowards and innocents. It makes your heroes and villains look a lot less impressive when they're the default.

This isn't saying to play average, boring characters. Not being a hero doesn't mean bland, they can still have unique quirks and goals. It just means try playing Arwen or Sam instead of always wanting to be Aragorn.

If I was reading this as a new player I would be really demoralised and walk away from this server. Most people come here wanting to be the next epic character or what have you, and telling people they can't do this, can't do that, and that they must be limited to mediocrity all the time is a bad idea, everyone should be ambitious to do cool and epic things, this server was built entirely around this concept.

New players, if you read this post, go for it and be whatever you want to be, try to make a difference and do those cool and epic things.

I don't get it really. You don't have to be this warrior to become a known character in the world of LotC. You can be that awesome tavern owner, a famous writer or paper owner, a baker (Dawn?), etc. etc. etc. This is what Cyndikate is trying to tell you.

It's exhausting to see that people don't read and miss the point of my guide.

I feel with you, I really do. It is kinda sad to be honest.

It's exhausting to see that people don't read and miss the point of my guide.

No. What is exhausting is when someone's response to the community is this. If you want this guide to be taken into account you cannot simply accuse people of not reading it, or not understanding you. This post is really disappointing if I'm honest.

I don't get it really. You don't have to be this warrior to become a known character in the world of LotC. You can be that awesome tavern owner, a famous writer or paper owner, a baker (Dawn?), etc. etc. etc. This is what Cyndikate is trying to tell you.

Close, but not quite.

I'll explain it again.

You can be whatever character you want. The guide explained this at least 3 times. You can be a ninja, or master warrior, as long as you RP realistically, provide enjoyable RP for other players around you, and most importantly, learn to lose. Just don't be the guy who dodges every move and does backflips, and make it a sole mission to win RP and get loot.

Never did I say that you can't play them. 

I just think that many comes to the server with a mindset that is not totally right. A medieval world cannot be filled with only warriors, basically. More players has to have the courage to say they can make a character that is not one of these.

I really think not being a warrior is more fun, when it comes to Roleplaying. 

Close, but not quite.

I'll explain it again.

You can be whatever character you want. The guide explained this at least 3 times. You can be a ninja, or master warrior, as long as you RP realistically, provide enjoyable RP for other players around you, and most importantly, learn to lose. Just don't be the guy who dodges every move and does backflips, and make it a sole mission to win RP and get loot.

Never did I say that you can't play them. 

If I was a ninja I would dodge most every move and do backflips. Never the less I'll give my view on things;

It may be my inability to understand this guide fully, but it did give off the feeling that you were telling new players to just stop what they planned to do and do something else. If a person wants to come into this server with the mindset to become an all powerful God with swords for arms and a master at everything, then good on them. I sure as hell know that I came onto this server striving to be the "main guy", and I think that makes better roleplay than having a conversation with farm animals, or emoting me milking a cow with no one around. 

In short, I did feel that this guide gave the message that they should drop their amazing warrior character in place for a farmer or one of the other things that Tegrof/Possut listed, though that may have been myself not understanding or your own wording not being very clear.

May I ask what points of the guide strikes out at you? What points made you come to the conclusion you made?

What points did you and did you not like and why?

I ask this so I can make the edits that this guide needs. It may need a rewording.

In that case I'll reword my post. -_-

I do agree with Snazzy that it might sound a bit "in your face, do this", but I totally agree with your intentions of the guide. Rewriting it to make it more clear might be a good idea =)

I edited the guide and removed the introductory paragraph. I might agree that it may unintentionally come off as snide.

I'd like to hear your opinions on how to improve this guide so it is more informative for new players. Just let me know which points of the guides strike out at you and caused you to make a conclusion.

Just please no more gorgeously chiselled 6 feet+ humans .-.

I would suggest to point to other guides that talks about character diversity, and especially the two below in particular. Read them and sum them up in a way that would make new players go there and at least think over what a new character can be, along with the famous war hero, that is discussed here. 

I really think the important point of the guide is "Your are also advised to roleplay in a realistic sense which most RPG games lack". In reality, those war heroes and ninjas doesn't come in numbers, not even in fantasy or medieval settings. Keep enhancing this part, and I think you'll have people getting your drift even more.

Meet the-series

100 ways to improve RP

I see where you're coming from in this guide, but like Snazzy, I don't exactly agree with some of the points. It seems like you're just putting newer RPers down. I also do not exactly see the point of the guide. Yes, there will be newer RPers that want to be great and mighty soldiers. But that doesn't really happen anymore in our community. If they RPed a big warrior they'd be completely shunned by other people, which actually is a community problem that needs solving. I feel as if this guide is just meant to tell warriors to stop trying to better themselves, so you might as well name the topic that.