A Guide To Using Shields In Rp.

Minea

Recently I overheard some people discussing the OOC implications of roleplaying with a shield, so as my character uses a shield I thought I should create a guide on the way I roleplay (note this isn't a universal server guide/rule base, this is simply the rules I follow when roleplaying using a shield).

1.0 Awareness of your shield.

One of the biggest thing i've seen players do is randomly change the shape weight and material of their shield in game. The biggest thing you need to know first is the type of shield you have and the limits of said shield. I get really annoyed sometimes when I hear players emote "*lifts shield to protect his face" sure this is fine halfway through a fight, but it is pure roleplay courtesy to let your opposition know the material of your shield and the size, this allows them to deduce whether your are roleplaying your shield correctly and not powergaming. For instance if I were using a steal roundshield it'd be a lot harder for me to wield with speed instead of say an oaken buckler with an iron boss (see 1.1 parts of shields). So first things first, pick your shield and follow the general element of said shield, (See simple types of shields for your combat style).

1.1 Basic components of a shield

I couldn't find any actual diagrams of shields online so i've taken a basic shield and labelled its various components. Note that these parts are subject to change depending on style of shield but the parts are the usual get go for most shields.

SHIELD_zps4fbec56d.png

A- This is known as a "Boss", the idea of this rounded protruding object is simple, it is made for deflecting blows away from the centre (main area of contact) of the shield as well as reinforcing the most hit contact patch. Without a boss a shield bearer would get the full brunt of swings instead of allowing the swings to be deflected and thus lessening the damage. Also the lack of a boss would lessen the general strength of the centre of the shield as most shields are rounded and not purely flat. Note that a boss CAN be used as an offensive weapon, it was custom for warriors to sharpen the boss rather than rounding it, a good shove with a rounded boss can be as effective as a mace swing.

B- The "enarmes" of a shield (unseen) sometimes called simple straps, this component is EXTREMELY important to the shield bearer, it basically allows the shield bearer to strap said shield to his/her arm creating a comfortable fit. This is usually made of treated leather or in some cases banded iron. Without these straps a shield is little more than a tabletop, if  enarmes are slashed in a battle the shield would be unable to be held.

C- The "Cut rim", this part of the shield has a variety of uses. its first and foremost use is to stop the edge of the shield (most times heavy wood) from "fraying' or chipping, it acts as a sturdy reinforcer. The second use which a lot of roleplayers seem to miss is that this metal edge or band was used to "catch" edged weapons, if a broad sword hit that straight on it usually became wedged into the cut rim while biting deep into the hard wood centre, a sharp twist of a skilled shield bearers arm was all it took to disarm said opponent. Note however that this action usually forced the shield bearer to drop the shield as it became unbalanced with his opponents stuck weapon.

D- The "Flat" of a shield, the main structure of a shield, basiclly the self explanatory area, the flat area, usually hit with arrows as the boss provides little protection against ranged weapons, however depending on shield size the flat was usually the second most hit contact patch after the boss. Skilled shield bearers usually could wield their shield in a way that made an opponent almost always hit the boss saving the weaker "flat".

1.2 Basic types of shields

Before I continue I would like to point out that this is a BASIC structure, if I leave out a specific shield created in the thirteenth century by a specific person in europe then dont try and point out that I missed out. This guide is for complete noobs who dont know the mechanical components and uses of a shield, those of you that do are probably perfectly aware of your shield and what it can and cannot do.

A Heater Shield: Typically known as being used to display a family's coat of arms this shield is a shield without the usual boss, it is what some would call a hybrid between a buckler and Scutum. Fairly light weight and typically made out of hard wood with an iron cut rim. Usually  wielded by light cavalry or infantry duelers its design is made to fit the shape of a torso. In roleplay one could use this shield with a bit of agility but note that without its boss this shield (ifmade from typical hard wood) would not last long against a northerner wielding a two handed battleaxe. As I said a light weight shield typically used against ranged weapons.

A Buckler: This is probably one of the most famous shield types of all time with varying ranges in sizes an materials. The characteristics of a buckler are it being circular in shape with a boss and metal cut rim. This form of shield is widely used by infantry ranging from the dinner plate sized shields used by scottish highlanders and desert nomads to the wheel carted round shield used by vikings and heavyily built warriors. Once again guys there is a huge variety of uses and roleplay uses depends on material, character build, size and weight.

A Scutum: Famous as being used by the romans to form one of the most successful infantry formations of all time the tortoise. A very large rectangular shield very very heavy and not ideal for duels but rather infantry formations, offers a very high rate of protection. Usually made out of heavy wood with iron fittings. There are varying names for this shield as well as ranges in sizes and materials, once again roleplay of this shield is subject to  material, character build, size and weight.

A Mantlet Shield: This shield is famous for being used by defenders in a siege, it was far to heavy to be held in one hand and was instead carried on backs until it could be deployed. Basiclly a large shield covering ones whole body and propped in front of the user, really only used as cover in sieges by crossbowmen or archers when they were reloading, you shouldnt really see any of these shields in game unless at a siege or a good old White rose checkpoint melee ;)

Kite Shield: A kite shield is a shield either used by infantry or cavalry depending on size and weight, its shape is either a reverse tear drop or a flat top shape much like a heater shield, in fact historically kite shields were later replaced by the smaller triangular heater shields. Usually made out of heavy wood with a metal cut rim this shield depending on style is without a boss, its enarmes were created in such a way that it allowed the shield to be strapped to the bearers arms in a variety of angles. If used by simple infantry or men at arms the bearers shield possessed their liegelords sigil or coat of arms. If of noble birth then ones own sigil or coat of arms was present on the shield.

The shields above once again are EXTREMELY basic, i've missed a lot of shields out because this is a guide on the rough uses.

1.3 Rough guide on agility of shields.

I cant put it more simpler than this, more durability= less agility. If its completely made of metal expect to roleplay it as being a little cumbersome. Bigger Size/protection= Less agility, its common sense guys go back to step one and outline the pros and cons of your chosen shield before dueling.

1.4 Shields in game

As far as I have seen shields and weapons in game are usually imagined, you cant wield both at the same time, I have seen exceptions where the weapon is imagined and the shield (door/trap door) are seen. Either way you must follow the same mechanics of your shield type. DO NOT power game by carrying around a massive solid steel round shield and wielding it as if its a pinewood buckler the size of a dinner plate.

Anyway I hope this helps some players, any criticism (constructive) is appreciated, I'm sure i've missed some things. 

I'd suggest adding Kite shields and Heater shields, they are the ones most commonly used in my experience, aside from round/buckler shields.

I'd suggest adding Kite shields and Heater shields, they are the ones most commonly used in my experience, aside from round/buckler shields.

Ok very similar to some there but i'll add them now.

EDIT: The heater and the typical Heraldic shield are basiclly the same thing, rephrased Heraldic shield to Heater as its more commonly known.

Very well written.

Lykos used a Mithril Aspis with a sharp outter edge. Quite fun to use the rim of a shield as a blade.

Might I suggest adding tower shields? For those RPLY strong enough to wield one.

Once again mate this was just a very basic guide, the shields there should suffice for those guys who are new to the server and learning certain RP. This isn't an official list of server shields or anything, if your char can use one then s/he should just go for it.

You didn't happen to see my status yesterday did you? 

You didn't happen to see my status yesterday did you? 

Hahaha mate to be COMPLETELY honest thats what inspired me to do this, I have heard people talking about how to RP shields but your status was the thing that pushed me to write this!

Well, you have inspired me to make another char, One that uses a shield. Well done mate.

P.S He will use a wooden heater shield with an iron plate covering the front.

Haha happy to hear it mate!

Well Minea, I definitively have to thank you for this post. It has really cleared a few things up for me! I hope other players get as much use out of this thread as I have!

Well Minea, I definitively have to thank you for this post. It has really cleared a few things up for me! I hope other players get as much use out of this thread as I have!

Honestly happy to help mate, hope all goes good with it!