[✓] [Racial Lore] The Wood Elves

PtahWithin

Bird, I saw you were viewing the thread and knew I had a very short time to strike :P

But also, I think the way each race is typically played on the server, it makes most sense the way birdwhisperer described. Wood elves tend to be agile, so they ought to be smaller. The dark elves tend to be most prone to fighting, so they should be a bit taller and more muscular. The high elves aren't prone to fighting or agility, so the combination of their height and thinness makes them less capable for this.

However, given that these are sub-races, it can be argued that most elves can trace back to the ancestors of multiple sub-races, so having somewhat indefinite characteristics doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Also, I just noticed another thing on the wiki. It says that Malin had fair skin. This seems to somewhat conflict with their being the closest to the image of Malin. It might be good to mention that their skin tone is one of the few aspects which do differ.

Overall, this is some awesome lore. I am glad to see you are working on expanding the sub-race lore for wood elves. I look forward to the final version of this lore.

Bird, I saw you were viewing the thread and knew I had a very short time to strike :P

But also, I think the way each race is typically played on the server, it makes most sense the way birdwhisperer described. Wood elves tend to be agile, so they ought to be smaller. The dark elves tend to be most prone to fighting, so they should be a bit taller and more muscular. The high elves aren't prone to fighting or agility, so the combination of their height and thinness makes them less capable for this.

However, given that these are sub-races, it can be argued that most elves can trace back to the ancestors of multiple sub-races, so having somewhat indefinite characteristics doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Also, I just noticed another thing on the wiki. It says that Malin had fair skin. This seems to somewhat conflict with their being the closest to the image of Malin. It might be good to mention that their skin tone is one of the few aspects which do differ.

Overall, this is some awesome lore. I am glad to see you are working on expanding the sub-race lore for wood elves. I look forward to the final version of this lore.

Yeah, perhaps it is best to state that they have a wide height range.

As for Malin's skin, what I meant by closest to Malin was in behavior and ideals, not necessarily looks.

I always thought that the wood elves remained closest to the ideal of Malin, as opposed to how he actually was. He was pale skinned and fought a lot. It is the fathering lots of children and living peaceably with nature aspects of Malin that the wood elves put on a pedestal and they have completely overseen that Malin is actually not altogether fulfilling of their perception.

The idea of Malin was huge in shaping the culture of wood elves, but the huge forests and the living in trees was all because of a druid. I think it is worth a mention anyway, that Malin is perceived to be similar to Native in characteristics, even though it is not how he actually was.

I always thought that the wood elves remained closest to the ideal of Malin, as opposed to how he actually was. He was pale skinned and fought a lot. It is the fathering lots of children and living peaceably with nature aspects of Malin that the wood elves put on a pedestal and they have completely overseen that Malin is actually not altogether fulfilling of their perception.

The idea of Malin was huge in shaping the culture of wood elves, but the huge forests and the living in trees was all because of a druid. I think it is worth a mention anyway, that Malin is perceived to be similar to Native in characteristics, even though it is not how he actually was.

Wait, Malin didn't live in trees and stuff? And I must admit, I did always picture him like Native.

Wait, Malin didn't live in trees and stuff? 

That is exactly my point. There is this belief about who Malin was that is incorrect. And that is an important part of the Lore of Wood Elves. It does not need to be corrected by anyone, it is just the way it is.

And Malin built towns and lived peacefully with his children. But they weren't in trees. That came later.

That is exactly my point. There is this belief about who Malin was that is incorrect. And that is an important part of the Lore of Wood Elves. It does not need to be corrected by anyone, it is just the way it is.

And Malin built towns and lived peacefully with his children. But they weren't in trees. That came later.

Where's this lore? Never heard any of this before.

I dunno. I read it ages ago when there was a lot of history going around. There is that in-game book about the High Prince and the druid growing the forests of Laurelin. Was that Prince Native in the book? Anyway...

I remember reading that Malin and his sons built towns. I also seem to remember something about him leaving for extended periods of time and returning, but I am not sure if that one is accurate.

The wiki and the ancient lore both mention Malin being born in a forest, and living in forests with the elves. While the Ancient Lore does describe him fighting Ibless, it also says that he "feared for the lives of his children and did not leave his forest sanctuary." Even the curses and blessings mention forests: May your forest halls forever be silent, and your hearts heavy with sadness. Malin, may your forests be a sanctuary of peace and your children long lived.

Actually, the ancient lore mentions him being blonde, but doesn't specify skin-tone. It'd make sense if he were pale, though, as it would tie into the high elves claiming to be the most 'pure' descendants.

Alright, so my reading might be out of date. But I imagine that it was 'cleaned up' by the lore team.

Actually, the ancient lore mentions him being blonde, but doesn't specify skin-tone. It'd make sense if he were pale, though, as it would tie into the high elves claiming to be the most 'pure' descendants.

Malin has very little to do with the high-elven perception of "purity." ;)  I won't go into this, due to being about wood elves and such.

Awesome lore, dude. This looks like a real wood-elfy culture, right here. +1 

<3 This

Now that I am not prince, I've all this free time to make a new character. Maybe I'll make one : )

Wood elf Dyn approves. (Only because the mightier Dark Elf Dyn allows it.)