Event Idea: Monster Board

hex37

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should event be accepted?

• Oh heck yes.
    • No. [Please post why]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feazzptg0ms

Event Planners, MC Names: Any Event Team member willing to pitch in.

Event Type: Hunting and monster killing.

Event Date: Any time after it's implimentation, it will ideally be a constant event resource.

Factions/Nations effected by the event: Arcane Delvers, Marked men, and any group with a taste for monster-hunting.

Event Location: Anywhere, though it will ideally center around Cloud Temple

Summary: Throughout the cloud temple, the sounds of a hammer can be heard, echoing off the mountains of the valley. An old man appears to be setting in the stakes for a rather large, thick, wooden noticeboard. The board in question is laying tilted on a rock nearby, and appears to already have bounties pinned to it. These bounties, strangely, are not for people, but for monsters that are plaguing the landscape. Some are just cries for help from the local villagers, others even have a small reward involved. It is up to the players to organize groups of warriors to go out into Anthos to slay these great beasts.

The posters are of all shape and sizes, and they plaster the board, unto the point where they begin to overlap one another. Deep, underneath some of the newer postings, you find one or two jobs that no one dares touch. Some beasts are great, but one or two are legendary. The creator save the few individuals reckless enough to participate on these quests.

Concept Images/Screenshots:

monster-hunter.jpg

2013-06-20_195751_zps88ab8c3a.png
Credit: Voidsoldier
Other Information:
((Ideally, I'd like the ET to set up a board in cloud-temple that lists monsters that can be fought. The monsters themselves are ET actors, who will post bounties for the monsters that they'd like to play in the fight. Groups of players will apply to take on any given contract, and if the ET actor accepts them, a time will be arranged for hunting the monster down the monster where it was reported, and fighting them in a battle to the death.

Two things must be done to Organize this medley of monsters and Mayhem to make matters organized.

First, Hunter registrations. Groups of 5 players can apply for a hunter permit, by, ideally, sending me a PM. These groups of 5 will be headed by 1 leader, who will decide who will be on the team itself, in the case of absences. I think it would be acceptable to never let it raise beyond 5 groups of 5. If there is more than that, the bounty board will look quite empty indeed! However, if this event Idea becomes successful and we have many actors helping, I could even raise it to 10 groups of 5.

If any group is inactive for more than, say, a month, their registration will be removed.

Second, a spreadsheet will be kept, recording the activity of hunting groups. Newer groups will be given preference on easier hunts. Older and more successful groups will be given preference on harder hunts. Who will hunt will be decided on by the ET ultimately, though it will be encouraged that they give preference to active groups who were denied a hunts in the past.

"Legendary beasts" can be added at the ET's own leisure. By nature, monsters that are harder to kill will eventually make themselves known to be mighty, growing in strength with every failed hunt.))

Sample Hunting Registration Application:

Group Name:

Group leader (IC name and MC Username):

Group Members (List 4, IC name and MC Username):

Describe your group. What is your group's experience with killing Monsters? How were you founded? Etc. Detail is preferred.

Who will be organizing this?

Either the ET can keep track of this, or if they are ever pressed for helpers, I can keep track of it myself. Either way is entirely fine by me.

Do you need the Event Team's assistance?: Yes, I'll need all the support and people the event team can supply. Yes, all of them, because the more monsters and quests are on the board, the more questing can be done!

If so, do you require actors and/or builders?: Actors. Just actors.

I will add more to this post later, stay tuned and tell me what you think!

Yes please! I did this once in an alchemy expedition where some GM's helped us by RP'ing monsters, and it became a truly fearful thing. We sent out a scout and he didn't come back, only to notice that he was done for, the ologs had taken him. We wound up in front of their cave when everyone was fearful and shaking in tremor but we didn't stop there. We were ready to avenge that scout who was our friend and companion and though many more died down there, it became a victory for the expedition.

This type of RP should not have to be so exclusive/rare. I would really like a system like this to come out.

I really like this idea.  It gives everyone an equal chance to get out an have some fun RP, and could be easily moderated by only ET members.

This is an absolutely brilliant idea. Nothing to be said otherwise.

Poll added. Not sure why I didn't do that earlier.

Also, a big thanks to everyone for the support! I'll make it more fleshed out as I go along.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYE-...

I will bring this up with the team and Viper. Dear goodness, yes, a thousand times, yes.

It's a nice idea! You could have a section where players post what kinds of monsters they'd like to fight, and a section where ET/GM's can post what they'd like to RP as, and people could pick and choose.

Too much conflict these days- perhaps a festival would be necessary event type rather than more combat-oriented things.

Too much conflict these days- perhaps a festival would be necessary event type rather than more combat-oriented things.

There is a difference between player vs. player conflict and player vs. environment.

The latter is actively engaging the player. Festivals are nice but it can't be that players get all their "conflict" from PvP. PvE offers a much less stressful alternative that promotes both team building and imagination. :D

Good idea in general. As to the above, swgr, I don't feel this is about "violence" persay. This is a chance to get away from the constant nation conflict and team up for some good old hunting of foreign beasties. I like it a lot. I have an idea for it myself. Better to be shown.

2013-06-20_195751_zps88ab8c3a.png

The basics of the idea seen above (Plus put myself in the picture because I'm sexy.)

Basically, when a event team member, GM, or anyone who can organize events feel the urge to put out a public event, they put a contact (plus their mc name) onto the board, indicating they are free to do the event. People seeking to fight a dragon, or a necromancer, or what have it could compile a group. I would suggest putting "minimum number of players:" section on the sign board. You get in contact with them oocly, and set it up from there. Not sure how well it would work.

A physical RP sign sounds awesome, and a minimum (And maximum, have pity on the poor ETs) player amount sounds swell.

Don't think of it as conflict! Think of it as... Stress-relief. The only enemies you can make here are with dumb, mindless beasts who don't mock you or anything when you lose, aside from Om-Nom you.

I have to say... I love this idea.  I always thought that you would have to make an event for any sort of monster hunting activity but this works just as well.  My only concern is how distribute some events and how people get a contract accepted.  Is it first come first serve?  Are groups and/or individuals who wish to participate chosen at random?  Just some things to consider as we want to distribute these events evenly, not have one person and/or group laying claim to the monster contracts again and again. 

Also, I think it is important to consider the potential consequences when a group hunts a monster.  When the players win (i.e. killing the monster or driving it off) it is rather straightforward, you get the reward and loot the body.  However if the players fail, what becomes of the monster?   It could lead up to follow up events that can effect environment.  For example, a group of ill prepared adventurers go to hunt a drake in a nearby cave but are easily driven back.  A potential follow up event could be that the angered drake attacks Kingson and damages the plaza area before flying off from once it came.  Of course it could just go back to sleep as if nothing happened but I think adverse effects because of failure should play some sort of role when monster hunting.

Anyway, I overall love the idea and hope it is implemented in some form or another (maybe have a bounty board under the Economy section?).