[Event Creature] The Dark Ones

The Dark Onesminecraft_enderman_again_by_ice_warrior2

The Dark Ones

Also known as Minions of Darkness, Enderfellows, The Tall Ones, Dark Walkers

Appearance

The Dark Ones were originally believed to have been given moniker from their dark skin tone.

The Dark Ones are bi-pedal and walk on upright.  These creatures stand on average 9 to 11 feet tall. 

There have been reports of Dark Ones towering up to 15 feet tall. 

Their lanky appearance is only exacerbated by their long slender arms and legs.

One of their most distinctive features is the unworldly purple glow that radiates from their eyes.

Author's Note: DO NOT LOOK AT THEM IN THE EYES

Origin

Not much is known about the Origins of the Dark Ones of where they came.  Early reports of Dark One sightings have been found as early as the middle ages of Aegis.  Many attempts have been made to study them but very few have provided any useful information.

Theories suggest they are being from another world just here “visiting”.  Many incidents have been reported in the past years of encounters with Dark Ones while only a few times they have been encountered in groups.

rXb87.png

Abilities

One of the first recorded descriptions of Dark Ones from middle
ages of Aegis was described by a tracker named Crowley Falos,

“I witnessed a drunken farmer and his brother attempt to subdue one of these dark creatures north of Winterfell.  The farmer hurled a hatchet at the tall silhouette.  I watched in horror as the dark creature vanished into thin air as the hatchet hit a tree.  The creature re-appeared behind the drunken farmer and his brother.  I have never seen a creature take life so easily.  The two men were dead before they could even turn around.”

The Dark One’s mastery of teleportation could hold answers to why there are here as well.  So far no being has been captured alive for study.  Although relics found on Dark One corpses have been known to hold magical properties.

6kFlPtC.png

Behavior

The Dark Ones show signs of intelligence and communication.  Researchers dedicated to studying the
behavior of the Dark Ones noted many interesting observations.

The Dark Ones seem to be here more on some sort of academic quest.  In a research paper by Balthazar Windheart, it was noted that “many of the Dark Ones have been sampling mineral specimens from our world.”

The Dark Ones are not overtly hostile to beings of our world.  However, Dark Ones have been known to react ultra-violently when a person looks directly at them.

Recent revelations through the magic world have come up with theories of the Dark One's hostility.

The Dark One's sight does not only just see visible light.  They see light and void energy in the world.  Dark Ones can walk toward void rifts that teleport them out of harms way, these rifts are theorized to be sporadic and open and close rapidly.

A less pleasant side effect of them seeing void energy is the horrific way they see people.  The energies of the departed cling to those who took their lives.  Many Dark Ones see a amalgamation of all the things the person has killed.  

This results in the Dark Ones seeing most people as humanoid chopped up pieces of flesh and bone.  

One major instance of Dark One aggressive behavior was known
as the “Invasion Incident” by locals of Hanseti.
(more noted Below)

enderman_by_reinder88-d4juzkn.png

The Invasion Incident

On a sunny winter morning in Hanseti the sounds of machinery
were heard rumbling through the mountain below VonSchlichtenCo Research
Facility.  The workers uncovered a strange
yellow rock.  The team carefully
excavated the foreign material and moved it to a lab.

Within an hour, a strange rift was reported at the location
of the stone.  Soon hundreds of Dark Ones
were pouring out of it, attacking the staff of the workshop.  Survivors attempted to flee to the surface
but were trapped by the Dark Ones. 

The Teutonic Order lead by Hochmeister Mirtok responded to a
distress signal on the mountain and dispatched a sizable force.  His men were able to battle the invaders and
clear a way for the surviving staff of the workshop. 

The Invader’s pushed back even harder, soon encircling the survivors and Teutons in the facility’s library

The Master Wizard Ambros, seeking to collect a debt from Saul VonSchlichten, happened to also arrive on the scene.  The combined strength of the engineers, the Teuton army and the wizard were still not enough to drive back the invaders.

The motley crew blasted a way out of the facility and escaped.  They would rally and army later only to find the rift had collapsed and the facility abandoned.

*Notes from the Invasion*

2013-03-24_224104_zps92935fc9.pngThe Trapped workers

2013-03-24_224400_zps83ac505b.png2013-03-24_224211_zpsf0f9d913.png

2013-03-24_225800_zps7a29ade1.png

The Battle of the Library

mc___enderman_3_by_superkusokao-d49lkam.

Culture

Only one instance of a gathering of Dark Ones has been witnessed in the modern era.  From that, researchers inferred cultural observations.

Dark Ones use light vocalizations to try to communicate.  It is believed they use telepathy as their primary from as communication. 

Leadership

It was initially theorized that the Dark Ones  all acted independently .  This was the generally accepted theory for centuries.

The Invasion Incident in Hanseti changed those perceptions.  Survivors of the initial rift claim they saw a Dark One dressed in flowing violet robes emerge from the rift. The other Dark Ones seemed to react to his movements and vocalizations as commands.   When the Teuton’s returned to the facility shortly after, he along with his followers, were missing

PEw6G.png

An Artist's rendition of the Robed Dark One

It is unknown if the Dark Ones all follow a central leader or are fractured into sects much like the beings of Anthos

Rumors have circulated among soldiers and adventurers of Anthos of a creature matching the description of the one commanding the Dark Ones in Hanseti.  None of these could be confirmed.

New Information infers the robed dark one is a leader referred to as "The Darkness"

What is little information we do have about “The Darkness”
comes from people who have encountered his disciples and those who claim to
have spoken to him.

The only information recorded lies in the tome of wisdom or from tales spun by adventurers claiming to have encountered him.

[From the Tome of Wisdom: The Darkness]

On a cold Hanseti morning, The Darkness led his forces
through a planar rift opened by foolish engineers tinkering with advanced
machines.  The Engineers are not solely to blame as The Darkness had been corrupting the minds of the men and women at the facility for years to make this moment in time happen. 

The start of the Darkness’s campaign was executed flawlessly.  Any opposing force to he and his followers was crushed instantly, the lightly armed engineers could not face the might of the Dark Ones.  As the rift
grew in strength, the Darkness himself emerged. By then his followers had cornered the survivors in a library.  What pleased him even more were reports of Teutonic Order soldiers responding to the invasion.  He wished to test his strength. 

tal-rasha.jpg

A Luskan Sage's Sketch of the Darkness

The forces of Hochmeister Mirtok engaged the Dark Ones, battling room to room in the facility.  They eventually located the trapped Engineers and attempted to fight off the invasion.  However, the combinedmight of the Sariants and Engineers was not enough.  Losses were mounting high while more Dark
Ones entered the battle.

What the Darkness did not expect was to have Master Wizard Ambros appear, and for such petty reason.  The Head Engineer had owed the wizard a large sum of minas from a Salvus potion store.  This lapse in The Engineer’s
judgment would be the end of the Darkness’s campaign. 

When the wizard was inadvertently pulled into the battle
against the Dark ones, the battle seemed already lost.  The mighty wizard, with all his might, attempted to send back the beasts from where they came.  A flash of arcane light filled the library where the survivors were fighting.  The work of the master wizard seemed ineffective. The Hochmeister ordered a full retreat to return with tenfold the force.

What was not known to the brave survivors were the events
unfolding at the Planar rift many levels below them.   

The Darkness was addressing his trusted Lieutenants in the
lowest level of the Engineer’s Facility, keeping a watchful eye on the rift to
his homeworld.   Then a bright arcane flash permeated the lowest reaches of the facility. Instantly, the planar rift started to react violently and close. 

The Darkness rushed up to the closing rift, seeing his dreams, his home,
his destiny, all shrink and disappear before him.  In a final attempt, the Darkness channeled all his arcane energies to stabilize the portal. His efforts only slowed down the decay of the rift, the door to his home grew smaller and smaller.  His lieutenants watched on in horror. 

In a final act of desperation, the Darkness walked into the unstable rift.  The portal began to grow once more… but in a cruel twist of fate the rift collapsed around The Darkness, destroying him mid-cast.  This massive change in
arcane energy caused an enormous explosion in the lower level that killed all
his waiting lieutenants.

With the portal collapsed, and leaderless, the remaining Dark
Ones soon splintered.  Many, knowing they
could not return home, fell into deep despair and began to wander all across Anthos. 

All that was left of the Darkness was a large white stone left where he once stood....

(( Another Writeup http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/90085-the-storming-of-vonhill ))

Servants of Darkness

Servants of Darkness are a vile amalgamation of the Darkness’s
power and the twisted minds of those who follow him.

The Darkness is thought to have between 6 and 12 servants
under his command at any time.  No common connection has been found between known Servants, both dead and alive.    It is not known how the darkness communicates to and influence his followers.  From experience, hunters of the Darkness have theorized he uses the Servants of Darkness as surrogates to accomplish his tasks.

Known Servants of Darkness

Malindrian Aldarrin  -
A young elven apprentice necromancer who served as the Darkness’s most junior
and least trusted agent.  Killed by a regiment of Sariants underneath the old VonSchlichtenCo Estate.

Abbot Heinrick –  [rhcrow] Once a good man and a pinnacle of light. His soul was twisted after years of plague
and the destruction of the society he grew up with.  He now serves the Darkness as the caretaker of
his ancient Monastic Order where he clings to his former life among his monks.

Reinhardt VonSchlichten - [bhamlaxy420]

Captain Sleighter - [APtrotta]

Undiscovered Servants

??? - ???

??? - ???

??? - ???

Im glad someone steps up to do this, been thinking of this for some time.
Awesome that you put it together!

I'd change the name.

The "Dark Ones" isn't very creative and frankly it's a little cliche. I'm sure you can come up with something much cooler. :)

Personally this is far, far too vague to be lore. This feels more like a characters perspective in role play than lore. I would love to see lore for endermen, but something that actually details what they are by all standards. This is more of just a report of what has been seen and some notes. I love it, just my opinion.

Personally this is far, far too vague to be lore. This feels more like a characters perspective in role play than lore. I would love to see lore for endermen, but something that actually details what they are by all standards. This is more of just a report of what has been seen and some notes. I love it, just my opinion.

People kept pestering me that I couldn't RP endermen as some sort of NPC faction or have them be antagonists in my dungeons.  

So I wrote lore to point them to it.  

"Cover your ass" as they say.

I'd change the name.

The "Dark Ones" isn't very creative and frankly it's a little cliche. I'm sure you can come up with something much cooler. :)

The Mages in the Dungeons are named Servants/Messengers/Adepts of Darkness.  Their leader is just known as the darkness.  "Dark Ones" are more just a colloquial name given to them by locals.

Perhaps this is too vague to be "lore" since it is from multiple perspectives via RP.  But I feel if I put too much detail in this it will be unintentionally meta-gamed in my dungeons and RP story arcs.

That's probably why I avoid writing lore all together and prefer to do it in-game.  No surprises if I reveal it all in a forum post! Its like "forgetting" your parents bought you a present for christmas.

People kept pestering me that I couldn't RP endermen as some sort of NPC faction or have them be antagonists in my dungeons.  

So I wrote lore to point them to it.  

"Cover your ass" as they say.

Well in that case this lore is genius ^.^ +1

I approve of this message.

Call 'em the Tall Men. 'Nuff said.

Grim1 out.

- _Grim1_

Agreed.