Roleplaying And Other Tips For Newbies

mmat

I got bored so I wrote a small guide, but I’m terrible at writing introductions, so I’ll get right into it. I’ll be going through some easily rectified mistakes which I feel that some new players make to allow new-new players to avoid the same mistake. There are also some of my personal tips which I have included in order to make your RP experience (hopefully) as enjoyable as possible. I'll add more to this as I go, just PM me any additions you'd like me to make or reply to this.

Easy Mistakes to Make

Bows and Crossbows - Use more than one emote

I’ll start with this one because I’ve seen this become more prevalent because of the increase in crossbow popularity. There are times where I have been in a combat situation with a player who is not as experienced with role-play as other people might be and are unaware of this, and have roleplay a ranged weapon such as a bow or crossbow in this manner.

The Good

Jack reaches to his back and unslings his bow, testing the string.

Jack then proceeds to notch an arrow and closes one eye, aiming for Pete’s head.

Jack shoots the arrow at Pete, attempting to fire it at his head.

The Bad

Jack unslings his bow and notches an arrow, firing at Pete’s head.

The Ugly

Jack unslings his bow and notches an arrow, firing at Pete’s head, piercing his skull and killing him.

The latter two are not good ways of roleplaying ranged weaponry due to the precision which is needed with these weapons in comparison to melee weapons such as longswords or hammers and could even be considered powergaming which is, of course, against the rules.

RP Fighting - Consider your character’s relative experiences

Something which I see all too often in roleplay fights is the renowned, experienced warrior being matched by someone who just began roleplaying their character a couple of days ago, this should not be. You should improve your character’s skill in swordsmanship or axe mastery on the actual server by training roleplay and gaining experience in battles. You should not really be adding your character’s amazing skills with certain types of weaponry in your biography as this is just seen as lazy and can undermine the individuals who have actually worked in roleplay for the talents that their character possesses. This means that a player who has actually worked to train their character’s archery skills on the server, for example, would be greater than one who has not.

The Good

As a child, jack began training with a bow and arrow with his father in the northern woods near Hanseti at a basic level, trying to shoot forest game, he seeks to learn more through his adventures.

The Bad

Throughout his childhood, Jack has trained with a bow and arrow, becoming an expert in his trade, able to hit almost any target.

The Ugly

Jack was born with a natural talent in archery and continued through his childhood, being more gifted than many children his age, becoming a master archer by the time he was a teenager.

A Good LoTC Experience

Friends!

Friends are a nice thing to have in any walk of life, not excluding LoTC. Even if players in Lord of the Craft wish to leave the server due to other reasons, I have experienced them not wanting to leave due to the friends they have made and bonds that they have formed on the server. Being involved in a group of friends allows for you to always have a group of people with whom you can roleplay and chat to both in character, and out of character! Speaking from experience, it can be daunting when starting on a server the size of LoTC to approach a group of people, seeking to gain entrance to their group, however the people of the server aren’t as menacing as they look and will probably open their arms to your arrival. Teamspeak is the primary method of making OOC friends on the server as you can get to know somebody more on that service, while roleplaying on the server is also good for forming bonds due to the actual roleplay itself.

Connect to ‘ts.lotc.co’ on Teamspeak 3 and get connected!

PSy00eh.png

Join a Group!

If you find yourself in a situation where your roleplay has dried up and you do not have much to do in game, look on the forums in the ‘Guilds and Organisations’ section and see if there any organisations which your character would be well suited to join in order to gain a group of people to regularly roleplay with. There are many types of guild which are available, from military order to slaving company, there is something for everyone to get involved with. Joining a guild can really reinvigorate the roleplay experience of a player due to the unified nature of these organisations and the common goal which they usually work towards.

jytVteT.png

8gM6XmY.png