[Racial Lore] The Forest Dwarves

cmack1028

2ptb3tk.jpg

Creation

radagast-_hoover.jpg

The Forest Dwarves weren't really created, as many have thought. The Forest Dwarves came to be over many centuries in the time of Aegis. Evolution and natural selection can awarded, as they are truly responsible for how Forest Dwarves came to be.

Long ago, the seventh son of Urguan, Gloin as his father had named him, decided it was time to take on a proper a name for him and his clan. Unlike his Dwarven brethren, this son was particularly interested in nature - fascinated with the outside world and life of other beings and animals. Gloin had thought of how his brethren had named their clans, for example the Ironguts for being excellent drinkers, or the Grandaxes for being a phenomenal axe wielders. It was then when one named popped into his head - Treebeard.

Over the years, Gloin's brothers noticed his general lack of interest in life in the mountain. They were worried when he spent more time outside then in, when he chose to study an animal that was new to him rather than feast and drink with his family. His brothers mistook this for him being disinterested in the betterment of their race as a whole. Deeply angered, his brothers decided that exile was the only fitting punishment for his disloyalty.

The Treebeards were distraught with their punishment. They had nothing, and nowhere to go. Under their determined leader, they took to the forests. They learned that bows were the proper tools for hunting game. They learned that with a little effort, a wooden hut could easily be built with a few trees-worth of lumber. They learned that plants and berries are editable too, and that meat wasn't necessary for each and every meal. They learned they could survive on fresh spring water, and ale wasn't a necessary thing in their lives...

Gloin then decided on one more thing - the Treebeards were no longer Mountain or Cave Dwarves. They were to be proud of what they became - of what they are. They proved that not all Dwarves need a mountain to live in. They are the Forest Dwarves.

Then & Now - Traits & Appearance

The Forest Dwarves, in the beginning at least, resembled regular Cave and Mountain Dwarves. It wasn't until later on that they noticed their skin tanned from the sun. Over the centuries, their skin's pigments changed greatly. Their skin tone generally looked much darker, in the elders of the clan and children.

They also noticed that slowly, the males' beard growth seemed stunted, due to the lack of protein in their new diets that consisted of more fish and berries than meat. Their hair, however, continued to grow long and thick.

Lastly, they noticed that since they didn't consume nearly as much fat from the meats they used to eat and with extra exercise of living in the forest, they slimmed down a bit.

One example:

jq2mbd.png

Thudrin, my Forest Dwarf character

Clans

Throughout the years, many Forest Dwarf families have popped up, but only two Forest Dwarf families seem to actually be regarded as Forest Dwarven 'clans', these being the pure Treebeards who are direct descendants from the first Forest Dwarves, and the Dawnsworn, rumored to be created by the mingling of one Forest Dwarf and a Dwarf of clan Irongut.

Beliefs & Ideals

Although no official religion has been set for the Forest Dwarves, the most common beliefs seem to be those of the Druids - worshiping the Aspects, two god-like beings responsible for keeping a natural balance in the world, and those of the Dwarves - worshiping Yemekar who created their forefather Urguan and the entire Dwarven race.

When the first Forest Dwarves were exiled, they made a set of rules to live by that helped them prosper and survive. Over the years, these rules still seem to be known in most Forest Dwarf societies, them being:

• Honor

The Forest Dwarves believe that if you help them in a time of need, they will be forever grateful to you, but at the same time if somebody didn't help them when they could have, that individual might be hated for the rest of the Dwarf's life, or until forgiven.

• Communal Greed

Like all Dwarves, the Forest Dwarves never really outgrew their curse of greed, however they tend to deal with it better than most, often striving to make each individual's community or society better or richer than the next, also sometimes causing competition between communities.

• Respect

The Forest Dwarves believe in treating each individual fairly unless given a reason not to. This helped them when natural selection was taking its toll on those with abnormally dark skin during their period of changes, some would get picked on or made fun of. Gloin made it clear that this would not be tolerated.

Cultural Arts

zmifxf.jpg

After taking to the forests, Forest Dwarves developed some key skills to help them survive.

• Farming & Brewing

After living in the forests for so long, Forest Dwarves learnt how to sow crops into the earth, most commonly potatoes and wheat. They also have been regarded as some of the best brewers because of how fresh and crisp their ales taste from using only the finest grown ingredients.

• Lumberjacking & Woodworking

After spending so much time felling, climbing and falling out of trees, the Forest Dwarves learnt how to be true lumberjacks and craftsmen. Some wooden furniture carved by Forest Dwarves has been regarded as the best in the land.

• Drumming

While walking through the forests, the Forest Dwarves took to the soft sound of beating drums. They found even the softest rhythm could become an inspiration, the reason why many Forest Dwarves are excellent bards.

Writers & Contributors

• Saviordude
  • Tethras/Dave
  • Doom6153
  • Zezimus
  • Cmack1028

Well, this is our second attempt at writing some good lore for the Forest Dwarves! If you find that there are any issues with this lore please say so below or in a PM. Thanks for reading!

Comments? Questions? Ideas? Spelling or formatting? Let me know!

The music was great..oh, the nostalgia. But anyways, I liked this lore. It'd be interesting to see these kind of Dwarves implemented and open to all. I'd like to see how they eventually progress.

The music was great..oh, the nostalgia. But anyways, I liked this lore. It'd be interesting to see these kind of Dwarves implemented and open to all. I'd like to see how they eventually progress.

'preciate it! Glad you liked the music too. 

I found this quite refreshing, I'd like to see it implemented myself!

Just to address the issue with the seventh son that some dwarves gave as a reason to deny cmack's last piece of origin lore. When the original sons of Urguan were established, not once did we ever take into consideration the forest dwarves in our lore, nor had we thought of how they came to be. As per our current lore, three clans evolved into what we now know as mountain dwarves, one clan became the forest dwarves, while the rest became the cave dwarven families, thus making them the majority. 

Now as a possible reason for which we might disregard them from our history books is simply that they were different and were never truly considered to be true dwarves. For that reason, this lore has my personal support and I believe if there are any conflicts that arise, we can quite easily begin to work around them and ensure everything is consistent. 

I cannot support this as it would require me tracking down all my books and rewriting them. And trust me, that is a lot of books. Also, you seem to be playing the victim card again - I can not fathom why Mr. Treebeard would be exiled for spending time with plants - there was a reason that in most previous forest dwarf lore they were outcast criminals.

Most dwarves value family ties, Gloins' brothers would not exile him simply for being a hippie. Maybe if he kinslayed or turned his back on the Brathmordakin, but for being an absolute pansy? He'd get laughed at, not exiled (which is in the top two of dwarven punishments). Also I'm not sure I am entirely comfortable with the entire forest dwarf population being traced back to a single individual.

I cannot support this as it would require me tracking down all my books and rewriting them. And trust me, that is a lot of books. Also, you seem to be playing the victim card again - I can not fathom why Mr. Treebeard would be exiled for spending time with plants - there was a reason that in most previous forest dwarf lore they were outcast criminals.

Most dwarves value family ties, Gloins' brothers would not exile him simply for being a hippie. Maybe if he kinslayed or turned his back on the Brathmordakin, but for being an absolute pansy? He'd get laughed at, not exiled (which is in the top two of dwarven punishments). Also I'm not sure I am entirely comfortable with the entire forest dwarf population being traced back to a single individual.

They're traced back to one clan - the Treebeards. Gloin was the first Forest Dwarf, but he had several others that all changed alongside him. And I don't really see why we couldn't bend - I don't think somebody or a group of people who are supposed to love nature would murder... I mean things can be changed, I could say the Treebeards were framed for murder or something, but does it really matter that much?

I'd rather there was no victim card at all. I can say from personal experience that it doesn't matter what you're accused with the dwarves will investigate thoroughly before convicting you. If you're going to be exiled, at least make it for something severe, because that is all you would get exiled for. Also if I am correct in believing, I believe Saviticus was an Irongut prior to taking the monkier of Treebreard.

I'd rather there was no victim card at all. I can say from personal experience that it doesn't matter what you're accused with the dwarves will investigate thoroughly before convicting you. If you're going to be exiled, at least make it for something severe, because that is all you would get exiled for. Also if I am correct in believing, I believe Saviticus was an Irongut prior to taking the monkier of Treebreard.

The name "Treebeards" is merely a name. The thing is  to make sense there needs to be a son of Urguan who was a Forest Dwarf. But I'm merely echoing what Zezimus already said in his post.

BWAAAAARLG!!!! I HAVE BEEN AWAKENED FROM MY SLUMBER!!!!

SAVITICUS WAS CREATED A TREEBEARD, AND BECAME AN IRONGUT LATER. GIT YER GRUBBY CAVE DWARF HANDS OFF HIS HISTORY!!!!

BWAAAAAAAARLG!!!

*Returns to his vacation*

BWAAAAARLG!!!! I HAVE BEEN AWAKENED FROM MY SLUMBER!!!!

SAVITICUS WAS CREATED A TREEBEARD, AND BECAME AN IRONGUT LATER. GIT YER GRUBBY CAVE DWARF HANDS OFF HIS HISTORY!!!!

BWAAAAAAAARLG!!!

*Returns to his vacation*

tumblr_mmrfpbW0Ey1sqqdgdo1_250.gif

Hehe. We'd like some more opinions on the lore, please!

+1 For writing great lore, +1 for perseverance.

Luvya, Cmack and company, keep up the good work.

Wait, aren't there already Forest Dwarves?

Yes, yes! But there isn't really any lore of their origin and how they developed their unique traits, that being the reason why we wrote this!

Thank you very much Ion and Gavin!