[Shelved]Improved Household Magic

Supremacy

Household Magic - For Real This Time!

Urara's old domestic magic lore is missing definition so that domestic magic users may know what they are doing with the subtype. It has become evident household magic requires additional lore to be more solid and understood by players wishing to pursue the subtype. It is therefore this has been written.

Before we begin we must note that unlike your general mage a household mage does not specialize in magic. Just like alchemy household magic becomes something of a buffet of things one can do. However, because it is easy to learn and is diverse in what it can do it is not particularly good at anything it can do.

Before we begin, I will note that no arcane mage needs a domestic magic MA. This has always been the case as any mage can learn very low level spells from other subtypes if they wish.

The origional lore by Urara can be found here. We shall now borrow Urara's brilliant formatting so I may suggest the limitations of household magic. Unfortunately her lore gave household magic users T4 illusion, telekinesis and conjuration spells. Thus it has been rewritten.

We shall borrow Urara's introduction:

What Is Household Magic?

Household magic is a strictly NON-COMBAT based magical branch. It's useless in combat! And starting fights using your household magic is extremely silly and not recommended! In fact, it may even get you in trouble with the M-Team if you do that, so please avoid it.

Anyway, in order to explain the purpose and uses of household magic, I will use an example. This is my character, Tanith.

screen3_zps6e11bd9d.png

Isn’t she the cutest?

Tanith has been working for the Order of the White Rose for nearly one OOC year now (first anniversary in August). Tanith has never been very strong or very clever with battle strategies. Her worth lies in her work ethic. You see, Tanith functions as a sort of all-purpose servant for the Order of the White Rose. She cooks, she cleans, she washes, she repairs uniforms, she kisses boo-boos, she works as an amateur psychologist for the more troubled Roses, she babysits children, she runs errands…Tanith is a very busy little dark elf!

screen2_zps9665485e.png

She accepts a lot of responsibilities for the upkeep of the White Rose and she works very hard at what she does. She’s been helping run the Rose smoothly since they first got their start in Rivia, back when they were a little no-name organization that nobody had ever heard of.

But how does one little dark elf manage to complete all these tasks by herself?

screen1_zpsbf37c244.png

The answer:  she doesn’t.

Tanith, you see, is a practitioner of the magical arts. She’s spent years learning to heal under her husband, Baldir Toov, and she once taught herself water evocation in an effort to be like her husband. But while Toov uses magic for combat and slaying heretics, Tanith uses it for a much different purpose. The lovely thing about magic is that it is versatile. A fire mage can melt his enemies in their armor…or he can light a fire in a stove. Magic can be used to make household tasks ten times easier…and much less stressful on the busy dark elf.

Household magic is made up of a variety of different spells from different schools of magic. Rather than studying one branch of magic in depth, Household magicians (or colloquially, “kitchen witches”) may “sample” different spells. They’ll become proficient with one spell that is useful and ignore the rest of the magic in that branch. It would be good for a servant to know a spell to light a torch or start a fire in an oven, but it would be useless and dangerous for them to know the spell for a Fire Nova or a Flamethrower. It’s made up of weak level spells that would be helpful around the house.

What Sort of Spells Can I Learn as a Household Magician?

Spells in the household magic branch are utilitarian and non combat oriented. Furthermore they are only low tier spells from a given subtype. Therefore you may not:

• Conjure a creature of any size effectively.
  • Phantasm illusion (Change emotional states).
  • Summon any form of electricity, compressed fire, ice, water vapor or stone.
  • Transmute or abjure.

So if we give it all those restrictions what can the magic do, Supremacy!? Surely you have made it pointless for my character to learn? Well, no. Thus far we have limited your character from learning T3+ magic spells from each subtype.

Domestic magic ranges from T1 to T3 and can not be taught by a user. It may, however, be taught by any practitioner of the arcane. Do not mistake the classification of T3 as a comparison to say a fire evocationist T3 as domestic magic is easier to learn and far more simple to cast.

Do note that this will not take as many months as it may seem. There is a change coming to the magic system.

Once again, I will borrow Urara's old format:

Tier 1 Household Magic

Light Weak Fire (Evocation) – Lights a small, steady fire that can be used to light a torch, heat up an oven, or warm a fireplace. The fire is typically too small to set anything non-flammable on fire, so it is best used on designated objects.

Puff of Air (Evocation) - The caster summons a light puff of air that can be used to clear dust or cobwebs.

Light Source [Alteration] - The user creates a small and dull light using alteration.

Illusory Writing - The user creates glowing text for writing. This text fades in 2 elven days unless the alteration is refueled.

Tier 2 Household Magic

Light Weak Fire [Multiple] (Evocation) – Allows the caster to light a weak fire in multiple approved locations (in oven, fireplace, on torch.)

Tier 3 Household Magic

Lift Object (Telekinesis) – Lifts one (1) object a few feet off the ground. The object lifted cannot exceed around 2kg in weight.

Command Object (Telekinesis) – The caster commands one (1) object to perform an easy task (ie. Commands a broom to sweep, commands a sponge to wash something). The object will not cease the activity unless released from the command. The command must not be harmful to anyone or the spell will not work. Only works on non-combat items (will not work on swords or other weapons). The object may not surpass 1kg in weight.

Create Water (Evocation) - Creates a half a bucket's worth of water that can be used for washing, bathing, etc. Water vanishes once task is complete. One could also summon a similar amount of earth. Small rocks can be made too. All vanish once focus is lost.

Couple of ideas for Additional spells:

Conjure Plate (Arcane shielding): Conjures a light, floating horizontal disk for setting things on. The diameter varies, but the thickness of said plates is always a half-centimeter. It is brittle, and any sharp force will shatter it. It can, however, hold heat rather well, and is excellent for use in alchemy, in the place of a glass heating-plate. Cannot exceed 6 inches in diameter, nor hold more than 3 pounds.

Megre permanence (alteration): At the cost of a good deal of mana, you can make any one of your Household magic spells, and set in place a light enchantment that makes it last without supervision for a short amount of time. Simple.

Magic Make-up (Illusion): Capable of making scars fade on the skin, or just getting your eye-liner and lip-stick done just right. Cannot be used to alter the color of one’s skin past scarred tissue, change the shape of nor the eye-color of one’s face.

Mini-air nova (air evocation): Make your whole body generate a puff of air. It's hardly strong enough to set a fly off it's course, but it's terrific at getting dry.

Minor light-source (illusion/cognatism): Who needs a candle when you have magic? Create a small ball of light to illuminate a small area. Cannot exceed the brightness of a torch.

Minor Abacus (Cognatism) Imagine any medieval adding device, protractor, or measuring tool for use in your work.

OH! and of course,

Magic Missile: Cast a single, lonely, Arcane missile. Why learn such a useless spell? Because you're worth it.

Couple of ideas for Additional spells:

Conjure Plate (Arcane shielding): Conjures a light, floating horizontal disk for setting things on. The diameter varies, but the thickness of said plates is always a half-centimeter. It is brittle, and any sharp force will shatter it. It can, however, hold heat rather well, and is excellent for use in alchemy, in the place of a glass heating-plate. Cannot exceed 6 inches in diameter, nor hold more than 3 pounds.

----

OH! and of course,

Magic Missile: Cast a single, lonely, Arcane missile. Why learn such a useless spell? Because you're worth it.

Arcane shielding doesn't work like that. Low level mages must keep the "disc" parallel to their hand at all times.

Also :P Arcane Missile is purely offensive. Domestic magic can't be used in combat. Arcane missile serves no purpose xD

I rather liked the Arcane Plate, most domestic magic modifies the original spell. And without the ability to actually shield, well, it gains a little in the flip-floppy department. I see your point on Arcane Missile though.

Yes, yes, point taken with arcane missiles.

A man can dream though! It's actually be a useful utility spell for knocking things off of unseen or unreachable places, but that's my take on it.

Is illusion of a smell inside a house over Tier 3 illusion?

Why can't a domestic mage create a stone of ice to cool some water when ice is a tier 3 water evocation, and ice and snow evocation can be learnt without learning water evocation?

Would a household mage be able to create a paper weight from earth evocation?

What about simple alteration of color of a plate?

What about glowing text from illusion?

What about using telekinises to lift and comand an object of very small weight? (like a needle)

[edit] Right now to me, these spells seem without a lot of imagination, there could be so much one could do. Perhaps give a large list of spells and say that the mage can only choose X spells out of them?

Also, one question. Is the OOC restriction on combat with domestic magic going to remain? The fact that it is largely pointless is besides the question, because lets be fair, it is. I'll be fine with whatever your decision on that is, so long as it's stated very clearly in the magic post.

Also, one question. Is the OOC restriction on combat with domestic magic going to remain? The fact that it is largely pointless is besides the question, because lets be fair, it is. I'll be fine with whatever your decision on that is, so long as it's stated very clearly in the magic post.

I would say the answer to this is probably yes. I hope so. It was the intent of the original lore writer, something which ought to be considered always when making such amendments.

Excellent!

Would love to see one "Defensive" spell.  Not like a single magic missile, but perhaps something akin to a stun or disarm that domestic mages can use in a pinch to try to escape an unfriendly situation. 

If you spend all that time becoming a T3 Domestic Mage, you probably know at least one spell to defend yourself.  Nothing to attack someone, but to defend yourself against an attacker.

But keep the additional spells coming.

Lore has been shelved and moved to the appropriate subforum. If you have questions about why this specific lore has been shelved, please contact me via forum PM or over discord at Flamboyant#8856