First of all I wanna say that this post doesn’t target any specific person. Mystery’s post that went up today simply reminded me that I wanted to put this up. Most of the ET who’ve done world events or written them up I really like, such as Xarkly and Mystery.
Anyway, world events haven’t really worked on LotC for the past couple years and I don’t think they should become the precedent for quality event lines. Although they catter to the entire playerbase and give everyone a fair shot, it doesn’t really work in an LotC environment in the sense that smaller events do. This results in the several cons that result in running a world event, including, but not limited to:
- getting pm’d every day about “can i do x with this event artifact??”
- delays to events and polls in discords on when the event should be, excluding entire timezones of players because the event that was suppose to happen at 6pm EST cucks most of the GMT community.
- macguffins (items that are critical to the plot) being handed out to certain playerbases and people that make the rest of the event-goers essentially useless
- several pms mid-event as to why your tier 5 fire ball didn’t hit the epic event creature and one shot it
- particular archetypes of players begin fighting RPly (and OOCly in some cases) for a protagonist-esque position, which brings down the experience for everyone.
- have little effect on the current global narrative, being almost meaningless and not really inhibiting any rp (ex: trade getting shut down in Sutica because voidal corruption has made them prone to frequent attacks on the roads)
- often lead to forgettable experiences rather than more remembered smaller event lines
- result in large clean ups for staff to handle be it lore related or build related
- result in confusing event CRP or largescale event pve that the server can’t handle
- includes all of the playerbase and (usually) doesn’t discriminate
- gives players the chance to use siege weaponry or event-only restricted spells in magic
- allows the playerbase to explore large-scale ET builds that have (usually) had time and dedication put into
Now, you could sit here and probably come up with a list of several more pros, but this was all that I could really note that isn’t immediately cancelled out in the cons. I just think that the drawbacks immensely outweigh the good bits that come up with bigger events.
Instead of senselessly complaining about the problem, I’m gonna offer a solution to the problem that could potentially take the place of world events. Dispering ET actors from nation to nation and some to larger charters would include most of the server and provide anybody the chance to step in to their local event line(s), rather than slapping more than eighty people on a single ET or two who’s controlling four different creatures and responding to thirty emotes per turn. As I said before, world events shouldn’t be the precedent for the ET and I think that it’s more detrimental to the server rather than beneficial.