An Unexpected Journey & Return I

THE TREE RETURNS TO ITS ROOTS

An Unexpected Journey & Return I

N34pGCr7szXPeYv6f6QZ0ARdHNOT9ksaGZgNh9BVXAydhQSAx0D6bsxuk5TyTRsA6GxsMJ7GiFEYxdYB1LP5kFTkuuJvcJ0JPuVJl5eXaCYtkDeOyL3afvvZeyQnwIKjCaOaTz7J

At sea, the waves clamoured to strike against the bows of sturdy ships. The wind carried the fleet forward at a fast pace its force keeping the ships unsteady yet unbroken. Though it is nothing but the norm even the most seasoned of sailors hold but respect, perhaps even fear for the sea and its monstrous depths, each unrelenting wave a gruesome reminder of this truth.

The largest of the ships at the center of the fleet stuck out like a sore thumb, on its deck sat cargo of varying size, boxes and fastened wood. With the early light of morn came the sailor hands most young to snuff out the candles as to not waste precious wax, save for the captain there was only one other who had been on deck before them. At the very front of the bow, past the masts and most ropes stood a black-haired figure. The early sunlight wrapped around his black hair though the sides were shaven a ponytail dangled at the back. Bound around his waist was a rope tied to the nearby mast and his foot sat perched as to get a better view with his spyglass.

In the far distance, he spied land and its green sea as well as tall mountains. How long had it been he wondered? How long had it been since the Raven and the Crow? How long had it been since the kingdom lay its first stone? While in his thoughts heavy-footed steps came from behind before coming to a quick halt. 

“You’re up early as always Adrian.” With a turn of his head, Adrian brought down the spyglass to reveal his grey eyes, looking over the armoured figure before him. His words came out through a wide set smile “Ah, Manfred! So it was him sneaking up on me he thought to himself while reaching out a hand to point towards land, towards Almaris, towards their future. “We’re not far off now Manfred, we’re not far off.” With wistful words, his gaze followed where he pointed as they gained a spirited glint. 

“I see it…” Manfred spoke with his hand coming to rest beneath his chin while walking closer in the distance he could barely make out the Almaris coastline. “I see it as well just remember to stay true to yourself young Lord a lot has changed since ages past.”

Adrian became thoughtful as he began to think of the past “I wonder how they are doing, how is our King? Is he fair as he was in the past? Does he carry the weight of the crown properly and with the dignity of a crow?” Adrian’s smile grew only wider and warmer as he spoke. “I wonder how they are doing, how are our friend and family? How are the people of Haense? How are the Rutherns we fought side by side with, the Amadors, even those old rival Kovachevs!” Putting the spyglass back into its holder he breathed out deeply before speaking again. “I wonder will they accept us? Will they welcome our return?”

Letting out a slight chuckle the grizzled and brown bearded Manfred rumbled out “May it be so young Lord I don’t doubt a Colborn would be welcomed in Haense. But what are you to say if they ask where you’ve all been? They must also wonder as you do and be uncertain of why it has taken so long.”

Some worry flashed over Adrian’s features his spirited eyes dimming ever so slightly before brightening once again. “I’m certain they’ll understand, we lost too much during the Vaeyl Wars and it has taken us this long to recuperate. It is only natural to return after being able to serve the Crow King properly for what reason are we to live off of past glories and accomplishments? To be a parasite living off of the crown?” With his eyes gazing towards Almaris his confidence found him. “It doesn’t matter how rich one might be or how much power one might have we’ve always regarded Haense as our treasure, its people the gem of our eye. If I die knowing my hands helped my fellow man I will have the pride to carry my head high in the seven skies, that is our pride, the pride of Colborn’s that to serve something larger than the self.”

“Wisely said, young Lord where shall we set course? The men are restless.” Manfred turned to the gathering crowd which had listened in. There were men and women, Scylfing clans the lot of them that had been gathered together from the distant reaches of the land. In Haense awaited their long lost brothers and sisters that remained on Athera since those ancient times. They were a stubborn folk of the earth and soil, daring in death, willful in life, free-spirited and kind to those who’ve earned it.

Turning to greet them Adrian motioned to the captain off in the distance. “Set course for home!” He called out loudly as everyone broke out into laughter returning to their hardy work, Manfred and Adrian gave each other a knowing smile. 

mpdAim68XTs-sf-ssZOZGHJtyOO2hxNEYEnPN_90JiUM0b7iVBj1VANZ2x9OmS268f17ti6zn0C7VbaSmjqwiXUiXQ6BDR7wJVQa24nju4MJGXQVaPx8Myi4TI_S5rDxNOOi-0WT

Travelling along the untended roads of Almaris was a long winding oxen caravan on its sides horses carried forth in a protective guard. They had made a days rest and journey since making landfall near the swamps and if the weather offered it they’d make it into the Haeseni Heartlands shortly.

Two horses came riding past the middle of the caravan the horses were black but one sported a spot of white in between its eyes which was ridden by a brown bearded man. “What did my brother say they called the capital nowadays?” Called a youth from beside Manfred. “Karosgrad, did you not read the letters properly Adrian? Truly what would your father think of you…”

“Don’t be dull Manfred! We’re not a travelling band of entertainers but retainers, there’s a stark difference.” He seemed a little embarrassed as he was caught forgetful by his compatriot, lips becoming terse. Manfred smiled as he spoke dotingly with a slight tease of tone. “Is that so? I thought a good retainer would learn properly as to better serve the crown, no?” With a slight flush, the young Lord became talkative once more. “I’d just forgotten in my excitement, Karosgrad you say? It is a fitting name that befits a capital inhabited by the Crow’s descendants. Karl was always special I suppose it is no surprise our ancestor Carr was always the lesser-known of the two. But his honour is our honour but we can perhaps come off as a little zealous to others. How many cities have we named after him by now? Not to mention the terrain which have borne his name or perhaps even churches.”

By now in the distance, he could see the red walls and the inviting arch of the first gateway of the Kingdom. The young Colborn and the caravan entered with him making it down the city centre street and onto the square, oxen lead carts lined up finely towards the palace. The city was alive and rife with the fair and celebration of independence. “Go on then.” Encouraged Manfred as he noticed his young Lord become nervous but also overwhelmed by the new environment. The oxen caravan filled with goods ready to be given to the crown watched him from behind.

Taking his first steps onto the solid ground of Haense he couldn’t stop himself from looking at the palace with a seriousness only shown during business dealings. We’ve returned father can you see it? We’ve finally made it home after all this time he thought to himself but he could not stop, no it was time to move. Step by step he made his way up towards the grand entrance before coming to a kneel, there he waited, there he waited for a welcoming, there he waited for his Koeng the Crow.