THE MARIUS CONSPIRACY FILES

Drew2_dude

“Ea byk zwem zanyotsk ter ea byk denpetravesk”

Motto of the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska

‘I would have perished had I not persisted’

voR6qEyg7g-4jvqmSxGhCojbenyLjY4uFdmqi84IrXP2mQVQoZEv7DsD0VONzeRPUjolESOhqm4lDsRD48fdzPYK7QDtHmbGPZhE4lbXiSpzrxv9aykF5HmP5Mm--W25iNqYHBnMrDglVmWiBZIGTaA

THE MARIUS FILES

orig. 372 E.S., 373 E.S.| pub. 484 E.S.

Or, ENTRIES FROM THE JOURNALS

OF

DUNCAN KORTREVICH

&

PRINCE OTTO SIGMAR

&

PRINCE GODFRIC BRANIMAR

DECLASSIFIED BY

THE GANT COMMISSION

FOREWORD FROM LORD PALATINE OTTO GANT

The Marius Files, aptly named after King Marius II who led the Kingdom of Haense in the War of Two Emperors, shall be the last of the released files by the Gant Commission, and possibly the most disturbing. These files provide not only an account of conspiring to murder the Crown, but confirmation of the parties involved in the plot and successful assassination of King Marius II. It is important to note the context of this assassination, which took place after the loss at the Siege of Helena, and the bending of the knee by Haense’s allies, Curon and Ves, after the Marnan cause began to collapse following a string of losses.

---

ENTRY FROM THE JOURNAL OF LORD DUNCAN KORTREVICH

272 E.S.

Today we have learned of our ally’s cowardice in the face of adversity. The Republic of Ves has once again bent their knee to tyranny, pleading for their lives in exchange for the previous status quo of constant raids and harassment of their citizenry. It did not surprise me when Curon turned their back on us, the renowned rats have never known loyalty or honour, merely opportunism and exploitation but what else can you expect from a heartlander. I cannot deny my surprise and displeasure with our Raevir kin however, the people of Ves received the brunt of the Renatian wrath for many years before this devastating war, and even saw their city go up in flames by the Emperor’s hand. 

The “Golden Republic '' has turned out to be just another Gilded Oligarchy promising to fight for freedom and rights while making backroom deals for their own self-interests and personal wealth. This unfortunate news leads me to my other more troubling thought; what now? Emperor Joseph resided in Ves, and if they have turned their backs on the Marnan cause, where has our leader gone?

King Marius seems determined and set in his ways to continue to support Emperor Joseph but when will he realize the cause is all but dead? The only one still fighting this war is us, and why should we support another Heartlander Emperor when they’ve all left us to clean up their mess? It is high time we blaze our own trail, and I am not the only one who believes it. Prince Otto Alimar has talked with me many times about how he and his brothers have tried to convince the King to declare Haense independent from any Empire or Emperors, yet he continues to fight for another man’s banner and pledge fealty to someone who offers us no aid or protection. Lord Regent Marius Baruch is inclined to the same way of thinking, as is the young Lord Erich Stafyr.  The other noble houses grow weary of fighting for another man’s cause instead of our own, even my own kin the Lord Marshal and Knight Paramount show glimpses of their displeasure and frustration, although they would never say it outright. If King Marius does not change our course soon, I fear the worst not only for us, but for him.

---

ENTRY FROM THE JOURNAL OF PRINCE OTTO SIGMAR

272 E.S.

I tire of my words falling on deaf ears. My royal cousin Marius believes he knows best, that his policy will save this Kingdom and its people. What does he know? What has his policy given us so far? Some thousands dead of soldiers and citizenry alike, an Emperor in exile fleeing from his former vassals, a capital starved of food and dying of illness, and a rejuvenated enemy marching to finish us off. I fear what would happen if the people decide to take matters into their own hands. God knows morale is low enough that anything could happen!

My one solace is the knowledge that I am not alone in these thoughts. My brother Godfric, Lord Duncan Kortrevich, and Ser Gerard Stafyr among others all share a disdain for the path our King has taken. Discontent is at a high, yet none seem to have an answer for how to correct our course and save our kingdom.

But I do.

I have found a man, a bastard brother of some sort to the King, named Hektor Barrow. The man is… troubled, noted to have delusions of grandeur and rage against the royal family for robbing him of his birthright (he claims to be the firstborn, albeit illegitimate, son of King Robert). Such a man should be carefully watched, to ensure that his thoughts do not turn into action against the King. It is good that the King has myself and Godfric beside him at all times to protect him, and loyal knights to keep such threats away from the palace.

I know what must be done. If my writing is one day read, let no man doubt my devotion to my Kingdom or my people. Krusae zwy Kongzem.

---

ENTRY FROM THE JOURNAL OF PRINCE GODFRIC BRANIMAR

273 E.S.

It has now been one year, to the day, since Marius was killed. It happened as Otto had said: he and I would lure Marius into the palace garden, Ser Gerard would allow this Barrow character to breach the palace with a crossbow, Marius is shot and the Barrow is killed by the knight to silence our own involvement. Georg is now regent and peace talks have begun that may save us all, but why then do I feel such guilt for my actions?

Marius’ decisions were questionable, this is true. If the war had continued in the manner he described, I doubt I would live to write this now. Countless people, soldiers and civilians alike, may survive if Georg gets his peace. All of these are objective goods, yet I feel as though I am not permitted to celebrate them. I have stained my honor with the blood of my kin in the service of people who will never know my name.

Marius is the first King in our history to be murdered in such a way; even Andrik II was executed for treason by the Emperor, not killed by his own nobles. Only God knows what the future holds for us, and I pray that when my time comes, He shall look upon me with pity for the evil I have done in service of the good.