Notes on Eye Structures

d0ntc4r3

Notes on Eye Structures

By Gallo

I have acquired fresh right eyes from two recently deceased mali, one an 'aheral and the other being a 'ker (not dead by my hand, obviously). Upon exterior examination, the only differences appear to be their coloration.

Both are the expected spherical shape one imagines when thinking of a severed eye.

This proved to be unsatisfactory to me, so I delved deeper and made my first incision into the 'aheral's eye. I took great care not to cut too deep, and made a small incision around the perimeter of the white part (called the sclera). I peeled this outer layer away, which revealed a small, transparent disc underneath the pupil. Upon closer inspection, I noticed it was attached to the rest of the eye via small ligaments to the inner layer of the eye.

Conducting the same operation on the other eye revealed the same structure.

I could only conclude that this small film was some sort of filter or lens by which light enters the eye through the pupils.

Surrounding this filter and also attached to the ligaments was a ring of sorts. It was muscle, though, that much was certain. This muscle suspended the filter over the eye's inner liquid, which fills its insides.

The eye is in essence a sac filled with transparent liquid. A gross yet fascinating discovery!