He Greeted Death as a Friend [PK]

ggooose1

The doctor wasn't a stranger to the cloaked figure in his clinic.

It showed up like clockwork. A patient died, he called the time of death, It would show up, and guide it away. He never questioned the cold air when it was near, the creeping hairs on his neck, or the looming shadows around him. It was useless to question what he couldnt understand.

The first time it showed up was his mothers funeral. He watched it take a look around, the rain seemed to pass through it. He couldnt shake the feeling of cold for days after.

Years later, in his 30s, he began to await the creatures arrival, watching it work. It wasnt like they were friends...more a test subject and the scientist. The trouble was, neither knew which they were. Just as the doctor watched the figure, the figure watched the doctor. He began to show up even if no one had died, perhaps just to watch how the man defied his will, or it was simply bored. 

Later once more, the doctor lay in his 70s. His health has been declining, rapidly losing any grip on his past composure. He spent the rest of his days in a cot, surrounded only by the burning flora, and Lissa Vildr. She had a way of making him think he was alright, of talking him out of his own boredom. He liked that about her. He would watch the figure from the corner of his eye, each day it took a taunting step closer to him.

He greeted death as a friend.

He never cried, nor begged for salvation. Arthur Blackthorn was never the type to beg. He smiled at the figure, his body laying in the cot.

The last of his plants died that night, burnt or decaying. They werent the same without their doctor. Lissa found his body the next morning, silently crying as she took his glasses off for the last time. She never saw Arthur and Death in the corner of the room, a cold silence breaking into sobbing.

Clutched in his palm, several closed letters written to people, ranging from his family to strangers. These letters would be delivered by a silent Lissa, dare not she speak in case she breaks once more.

To Ciaran Vildr.

Spoiler

"Dearest Boy, 

Never stop being the selfless boy you are, you inspired me to find friendships once again, and I am sure you will inspire a new generation to do the same.

I'm sorry I cannot be there to see you grow into a finer man than you already are, but I know with time you will surpass my imagination.

You will be a Blackthorn at heart until my memory is finished. Be good to the world, my son."

To Trinity, my Apprentice.

Spoiler

"Sweet Child,

You hold greater potential than I ever could've. I hope to see you work hard to bring medicine to those in need. Mrs. Vildr will continue your teachings, and I know I'll be proud of the doctor you become.

Never stop seeing the value of life in others, for that is what makes you good."

To Ragnvald Eiriksson Ruric.

Spoiler

"Old Friend,

I have watched you grow from a kind child to a fearless warrior. I know you are grieving, and I never wish to add to that pain, but my time has come, and I must leave you to see Norland through to the next generation. I trusted in your judgment, and I now put my trust in those around you to help you through times of pain.

Life is nothing without the bonds of man."

There is a final note, just a single scrap of torn paper. Its scribbled and smudged. It seems to be a poem.

He Greeted Death as a Friend, 

By Arthur-Felix Blackthorn.

Greeting the figure as a friend

was the hardest part of death

who would ever smile at a 

thing such as cruel as him

holding his hand tight and cold

he finally stopped and let out a breath

why did he bother even to try?

he decided it wasnt worth it then.

He greeted death as a friend,

because he didnt have a choice.

After receiving and reading the letter, Trinity stood there in silence, her calm expression breaking into that of distraught. Another friend lost. It seemed she was losing friends faster she could make them at this point. The silver haired woman clenched the letter to her chest as tears began to roll down her face, silently making her way up the steps of the Cartref Mor keep.

For some time, she'd wander about the keep, mumbling to herself, wishing she could have done more for the doctor. Maybe even blaming herself for not doing more for him when she knew his health was declining. But soon enough her quiet ramblings fell silent as she retreated to the roof of the keep to quietly mourn the recent deaths in her life. A Lord, a teacher, and a child.

Kronk grinned at Doc from the afterlife. "Welcomeh! Sit yer arseh down an' 'aveh ah drink." The bald former Grand Marshal said with a chuckle.

Magda Black sat awake in her bed, she shook her husband Oliver from beside her to which he protested but sat up anyways, listening to her mumble “The air feels thick again, the same thickness Ich felt when Vater died..” He reassured her that it was nothing and that she should go back to sleep. Magda didn’t sleep that night, blissfully unaware that the man she seriously considered a father since she was three years old was dead.