Centennial 0301: Fables I

[!] The stories detailed on this thread are disseminated by the Oracle. She travels from place to place, leaving behind scriptures and spoken rumors of their contents. Anyone can feel free to approach me in character as a result of this work. Otherwise, please feel free to clown on my creative writing! [!]

Spoiler

THE WOVEN WAY

FABLES I

header.png

Kr431QU.png

BETWEEN A WOLF AND A RAVEN
Art by Alessia H. Valastro

THE WOLF AND THE RAVEN:

As a Raven was adrift on one of its many flights through the forest, it spotted a rotting, carrion thing. A hungering Wolf stalked that same carcass in slow circles, considering the forest abound. Diving swiftly, the Raven stole for itself a large chunk of its feast. While the Wolf snapped at bare wind and growled out in discontent, the Raven simply preened and jeered, knowing it was safe amidst the trees.

“You are slow, and you eat even slower! Ca-CAW!” It croaked in laughter.

“As quick as you are, I can still best you. I will return with others; try this again, and we will eat you up too.” The Wolf asserted in retort.

And so, when the Raven next returned to its scavenging search, it found many wolves. Together, ate too swiftly, and proved too great a threat for it to risk stealing more than mere scraps. It had expected this; a conspiracy of other ravens flew at its back. They descended as one. Some plucked at the fur of those wolves too young to snap back, and others stole many small scraps for themselves.

“CAW-CaW!" The Raven crooned. "We outnumber you, and we’re smarter, too!”

This infuriated the wolves. Still, the first of them still called out with steely resolve, “You may be clever, but we can still crush you. We will wait until you find a kill, and follow your noises; the cackling carried on many wings. Then, we will strike.”

Once more, things went along with the wizened Wolf’s plan - its quick thinking was sound. The pack descended upon that Raven’s conspiracy, causing it to scatter. When the wolves finished their feeding, the Ravens were forced to settle for what was left.

Even still their clever leader lauded, “We couldn’t have torn through that hide, CAW! You’ve done it for us!”

“You may be right…” For once, the Wolf was left stumped. Though saddened, the ever honorable beast accepted its defeat by the Raven, “You have tested me, and I have failed.”

The Raven squawked, irritated at its loss of a troublesome opponent, “Ca-CAW! No. We have tested each other.”

Kr431QU.png

alexandria-neonakis-3witches-final.png

Art by Alexandria Neonakis

DEAD AND DYING THINGS:

As a Girl was walking along the river, she stumbled upon the sight of a body caught in its reeds. 

She knew the woman floating there to be a crone, cast out by her people for being a harrow hand and a heretic.

The Girl could not understand what would drive someone to act so heinously as her.

None of the adults could answer her either, and so she often found herself returning to look toward the riverbed.

That crone rotted, and the Girl watched as life gradually began to... forget her.

First her hair, then her hands, and- finally- her face.

Before she could ever find an answer, the people cast the Girl out as well. 

She had peered so long that the only heinous thing seen in those waters was her own reflection.

A dying thing watching a dead one.

Kr431QU.png

The Legend of King Arthur

Art by Florian Herold

AS THE WEFT AND WEAVE OF FATE GUIDE:
Once, a great Seamster was lauded and adored. Their name was spoken in reverence by many a hopeful hero. The weaver had a specialty: they wrought for their subjects grand tapestries. 

Tapestries which told tale of things yet to come.

It seemed, for an age, that any who earned for themselves a role in that Seamster’s work were destined for greatness. This myth surrounding their name was swiftly scattered with the weaving of one particular standard.

A banner, spun for a great King and his prosperous kingdom.

The tapestry spoke of fear and ugly death. Of an uprising which would depose that King, sullying his name.

The King saw only betrayal and treason; he saw a threat, leveled by the hand of one who surely held some great disdain for his people. When he saw the way his subjects recoiled and cowered before the tapestry's great unveiling, he let fear sew a home in his heart. The King's men were made to take that Seamser into custody, shutting them away for their vile crime.

Still, he could not escape the memory of what he had seen. Even with its maker imprisoned, and its form burnt away before the public eye, the tapestry fluttered hauntingly in his mind. He saw echoes of its truth, reflected still in his subjects' eyes. He heard their murmurs of doubt on the wind.

It wasn't too long until the King had his men round up the loudest of those doubters. Men, women, and children alike. Any who had received favorable divinings from the Seamster would be shut away in irons.

When the prisons grew too swollen, and the people's anxieties too great, the King's kindness began to crack. The most unruly of his prisoners, those too prideful and- to his eyes- too comforted by their favorable fates, were put to death. Those deaths proved the Seamster's work fallible, he was sure.

His most loyal followers, his own men, were not. With the uproar of the people behind them, they thought only of the bright futures their King had let his pride snuff out.

Faced with the uprising he had desperately sought to avoid, the King retreated to the rankest depths of his castle. 

He found them there, calmly at work with the spiders and spindly things of their cell. With moonlight and gossamer, the Seamster had woven the tapestry anew. To his demands and foul cries, they had only one answer.

“You mistake my good Work for something it is not. You see answers in the wefts, and how they cross over their many warps. When truly, my King, they are questions, always aching to be realized.”

Kr431QU.png

Edited by thequeennadine