Sign in to follow this  
thesmellypocket

The Pontifical Office: Lauds, Translated.

The Pontifical Office: Lauds

FOR USE IN SEMINARIES, MONASTERIES, CHURCHES AND HOMES.

Translated, Written and Collected by Father Humbert, O.S.J. Published Posthumously by Philip Pius Coppinger.

Lauds is the second prayer of the Church, and should be prayed in the early hours of the morning. It is the second most important Hour, containing within it the Confiteor and the Litaniae Sanctorum.

`It was very frustrating to me that no permanent prayer rule had survived in order that we Judites might pray the Liturgy of the Hours.Therefore, the task has fallen on me, God’s unworthy Slave, to do something. This was written for the Judites, but can also be used by nuns, priests and laymen. The Hours should especially be prayed in seminaries. It can be prayed alone or together, or sung in Chant. I have left my settings of the Chants so that people may use them. Thy humble Slave in God,

-Father Humbert, O.S.J.’

C = Main Celebrant.

R=Response.

Antiphon = part repeated by all at the beginning and end of the Psalm.

C  (All crossing themselves): Adjutorium nostrum in nomine Domini. [Our help is in the name of the Lord.]

R : Qui fecit caelum et terram. [Who made heaven and earth.]

C : Gloria Patri, et Horeno, et Omnibus Sanctis! [Glory be to the Father, and to Horen, and to all the Saints!]

R : Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen. [As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end. Amen.]

The Confiteor

[All kneel. The celebrant bows his head and recites or sings the Confiteor, inclining his head to his brothers as he asks them to pray for him. Lifting up his head, the others bow their heads and say theirs’.]

C : Confiteor Deo Omnipotenti, beato Horeno semper fideli, beato Carolo Petri, beato Hadriano Fortissimo, beatae Juliae, sanctis Papis Danieli et Sixto, omnibus Sanctis, et vobis, fratres, quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo, et opere: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. (Striking his breast thrice.) Ideo precor beatum Horenum semper fidelem, beatum Carolum Petri, beatum Hadrianum Fortissimum, beatam Juliam, sanctos Papos Danielem et Sixtum, omnes Sanctos, et vos fratres, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum. Amen.

[I confess to almighty God, blessed Horen ever-faithful, blessed Carl of Petrus,blessed Adrian most brave, blessed Julia, the holy Pontiffs Daniel and Sixtus, all the Saints, and you, my brothers, that I have sinned by thought, word and action: my fault, my fault, my most grievous fault.  Therefore I beseech blessed Horen ever-faithful, blessed Carl of Petrus, blessed Adrian most brave, blessed Julia, the holy Pontiffs Daniel and Sixtus, all the Saints, and you, brothers, to pray for me before the Lord our God.]

Image result for confiteor painting

R : Misereatur omnipotens Deus, et dimissis peccatis tuis, perducat te ad vitam aeternam. [May almighty God have mercy upon thee, forgive thee thy sins, and bring thee to life everlasting.]

C : Amen.

[In like manner to the celebrant, the others bow their heads, and incline their heads toward the celebrant as they say ‘tibi pater.’]

R : Confiteor Deo Omnipotenti, beato Horeno semper fideli, beato Carolo Petri, beato Hadriano Fortissimo, beatae Juliae, sanctis Papis Danieli et Sixto, omnibus Sanctis, et tibi pater, quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo, et opere: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa (Striking their breasts thrice.) Ideo precor beatum Horenum semper fidelem, beatum Carolum Petri, beatum Hadrianum Fortissimum, beatam Juliam, sanctos Papos Danielem et Sixtum, omnes Sanctos, et te pater, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum. Amen. 

[I confess to almighty God...and to thee, father…’]

C : Misereatur vestri omnipotens Deus, et dimissis peccatis vestris, perducat vos ad vitam aeternam. [May almighty God have mercy upon you, forgive you your sins, and bring you to everlasting life.]

R : Amen.

C (All crossing themsleves): Indulgentiam, absolutionem et remissionem peccatorum nostrorum, tribuat nobis omnipotens et misericors Dominus. [May the almighty and merciful Lord grant us pardon, absolution, and remission of our sins.]

NOTE: The male-centric language can be replaced with feminine pronouns, etc., when in a congregation of nuns. E.g ‘et tibi, mater’ - ‘and to thee, mother.’

Psalm III: JUDICA ME, DEUS.

Antiphon: Asperges me, Domine, hyssopo et mundabor. Lavabis me, et super nivem dealbabor. [Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, Lord, and I will be cleansed. Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow.]

C : Judica me, Deus, et discerne causam meam de gente non sancta, ab homine iniquo et doloso erue me. [Judge me, O Lord, and discern my cause from the nation that is not holy: deliver me from the evil and unjust man.]

R : Quia Tu es Deus, fortitudo mea, quare me repulisti? Et quare tristis dum affiglit me imicus? [For thou art God, my strength, why hast thou cast me off? And why do I go sorrowful while the enemy afflict me?]

C : Emitte lucem Tuam et veritatem Tuam; ipsa me deduxerunt et, et adduxerunt in montem sanctum Tuum, et in tabernacula Tua. [Send forth thy light and thy truth; they hath conducted me, and brought me onto thy holy hill and tabernacles.]

R : Et introibo ad altare Dei, ad Deum Qui laetificat juventutem meam! [And I will go onto the altar of God, to God who giveth joy to my youth.]

C : Confitebor tibi in cithara, Deus, Deus meus. Quare tristis es, anima mea? Et quare conturbas me? [I will give praise to thee on the heart, O God, my God. Why art thou sad, O my soul? And why dost thou grow sorrowful?]

R : Spera in Deo, quoniam adhuc confitebor ilii, salutare vultus mei, et Deus meus.  [Hope in God: for I will yet give praise to him: the salvation of my will, and my God.]

Litaniae Sanctorum

C : Kyrie eleison! [Lord have mercy!]

R : Kyrie eleison! [Lord have mercy!]

C : Kyrie Eleison! [Lord have mercy!]

R : Kyrie Eleison! [Lord have mercy!]

C : Pater de caelis, Deus… [Father of the Heavens, God…]

R : Miserere nobis! [Have mercy on us!]

C : Deus, Rex mundi… [Father, King of the world…]

R :  Miserere nobis! [Have mercy on us!]

C : Omnipotens Deus... [Almighty God!]

C : Unus Deus… [One God…]

C : Exalte Horene… [Exalted Horen…]

R : Ora pro nobis! [Pray for us!]

C : Exalte Owaine… [Exalted Owyn…]

C : Exalte Godefride…

R: Ora pro nobis! [Pray for us!]

C : Omnis Exalti... [All the Exalted…]

R : Orate pro nobis! [Pray for us!]

C : Omnes Sancti Angeli… [All the Holy Angels..]

C : Sancta Julia… [Saint Julia…]

C : Sancte Publie… [Saint Publius…]

C : Sancta Catharina… [Saint Catherine…]

C : Sancte Christophore… [Saint Kristoff…]

C : Papa Sanctum Daniel… [Pope Saint Daniel...]

C : Omnes Sancti Papae… [All Saintly Popes…]

C : Omnes Sancti! [All the Saints…]

C : Omnes Beati… [All the Blessed…]

C : Kyrie Eleison. [Lord have mercy.]

R : Kyrie Eleison. [Lord have mercy.]

C : Kyrie Eleison. [Lord have mercy.]

C : Oremus. Omnipotens et sempiterne Deus, omnis sanctos dedit, concede, quaesumus, ut famulus tuus N., rex noster, qui tua miseratione suscepit regni gubernacula, virtutum etiam omnium percipiat incrementa, quibus decenter ornatus, et vitiorum monstra devitare, et ad te, qui via, veritas et vita es, gratiosus valeat pervenire. [Let us pray. Almighty and everlasting God, who hath given unto us all the Saints, grant, we beseech thee, that thy servant N., our king, who by thy mercy hath undertaken the government of this realm, may advance in all virtues; that being meetly adorned therewith, he may be able to avoid the enormity of sins and come to thee, who art the way, the truth and the life.]

Edited by thesmellypocket