Mother's March: The Fox's Path

Juno.

Spoiler

Ambience: 

kz4qZhqnFyzJ4iJzidkO26KbsAdO5NBAJiUpxM6fGSX55J1keO5MnAgJAWtoarKZxpw-sPcBVKiX5tVz9wMYLgs7QKcWeI5wZtstvXkVCvNoFWfWrEy9A19HM7ZhVubVIu3iJkDE

-

Cold. That’s what she knew for what felt like months, but in reality was only a day to the outside world. She survived the frozen tundra with her kin: mother, grandmother, and sister; using nothing but their bare hands. Not even their gifts were used, no fire was made. They ate their food raw, ripping apart wolf pups with their teeth. It was hard and bitter work, but it made them all stronger in themselves and as a family. The Fox, the Snow, the Autumn, and the Jackdaw, together all braving the harshness of The Mother’s Winter. Sonna would always remember their first day and night…

[!] As the four fell to slumber, they’d awaken to a new day, clear and visible. Life would continue. Days upon weeks stack as the Four lived, the Gray suddenly accepting of them more with the stench of metal removed from their forms if they chose to leave their armors behind. Hunts would be uninterrupted by the Pack, daytime is dim and almost unending, and time goes on...on day, they’d be ushered by the Gray Alpha, taking them on to another den, where they’d bear witness to the birth of new Gray pups. A Cycle passed, the time spent felt real, before they’d begin to fade back into the Forest they began in…

Even after Taynei’hiylun announced their success and sent them back to their homes with a smile, the conflict between the two packs remained in her mind. When the Sages entered the frozen forest, there were two wolf packs fighting; one of Gray and one of White. They were led by Alphas larger than bears, eternally locked in a never ending battle. The two packs told them that they had been at war for days, fighting for control of the region. It didn’t seem either side was winning until the White Alpha broke away to hunt, it’s prey being the band of druids. It was this choice that caused the White Pack’s downfall, as their Alpha attempted to feast on the Jackdaw, the Gray Alpha caught it by surprise, and it was this advantage that led to the Gray’s victory.

It was the White Alpha’s greed that led to its downfall; it chose to satisfy its own hunger rather than continue to fight for its kin’s survival. This was the lesson that the little fox took away, the image of the Gray covered in the White’s selfish blood drilled in the back of her head.

-

War. That’s what continued to await her when she returned. Once again, her people were being hunted by what seemed like the entire realm; the people her mother had entrusted her with their care. She did her best to guide them, or so she thought. Maybe she had failed along the way, or maybe some just do not wish to be guided. She watched as they turned on each other, kin against kin, and it made her sick. Packs stay together, or face the cold embrace of death. Would they be the Gray or the White. She couldn’t say; no matter how hard she tried, some of the pack would continue to stray. Some would always be of the White.

The return of a Brother is what led her to answers. Autumn held her hand out for the Fox once again, a grandmother forever guiding the little vulpine. She took it, and together with the Weed, they transcended realms to meet with one the Wise Owl, guarding the Bluejay pinned to the tree.

“The little fox, once at peace, now seems to be...confused, maybe even in grief?”

It was true, she was confused and grieving. She wasn’t sure what to do anymore, what her path was.

“A path once set now clouded in a dense fog. Unable to see what lies ahead or behind. Many voices carry upon the wind. Full of promises, charm, a release from your burdens. Yet the most important one ignored.”

Owl led her to a pool in the Forest Eternal, and instructed her to look in. The Fox obeyed, and only found her tear stained cheeks staring back at her.

“Grief can consume and swallow one whole. Many run away from this feeling of utter pain and sorrow. Distracted by promises and relief. Uncertainty upon ourselves then grows as we lose what and who we are and once were. The voice that is most important is yours, Little Fox. For it never truly wavered. You know who you are. The voices that you hear are but an echo. A guiding hand should you seek it, but never the defining song that is your own, Little Fox.”

They returned to the ring of mushrooms with no problems, the Snow waiting for their safe return. The Fox came to a slow stand and made her way out of the tropical paradise, unceasing until she stepped foot in the dense redwood forest; until she came face to face with that majestic stone gate.

I know who I am. I am of the Gray.

Spoiler

[!] Throughout the city of Amaethea, a letter is posted on several trees and posts, signed with the golden sigil of a sitting fox.

“Lari’onnan, mal’onnan,

I write to you today to inform you that I will be stepping down from my position of Faith Representative on the Crown Council. My time has come to allow someone else to take the mantle, someone more suited to the position. I will remain as an advisor and guide of the people, perhaps even more so as this duty is lifted from my shoulders. If you ever need anything, I will always be an ear to listen and a guiding hand. Whatever you may need. Ahernal ito.

Forever yours,

Sonna Vuln’miruel, High Priestess of the Wild Faith, Chieftain of the Foxhole, Guide of the Mother Circle"