The Husk: Chapter One

unknown.png

Camp.png

The Husk

Chapter One: The decline

unknown.png

The smell of wild hare meat being burnt above an open flame would fill the breezy night air as the low roar of the fire would drown the muted noises of the sleeping nature around the Aureon Ranger. However, his mind would be absent, his once proud hunter morale nowhere to be found as he ignored the smell of perfectly good food being wasted.

The former wild chief would stare into the fire, his hands idly fiddling with one of the toys he had carved out of Ironwood for his daughter Yae’ven. He’d stare at the wooden shrike and sigh. What was wrong? The mali had achieved many of his goals but he felt empty… 

A few seasons had passed since the last time he saw the mischievous grin of his daughter or was subject to one of the pranks planned by his wife. He was never one to smile much but back then he was happy, he felt whole, he had a purpose and a reason to keep going. That was no longer the case 

He’d stand up kicking some dirt towards the simple campfire and the now burnt hare meat. He was not hungry. He’d open the door to his new home, looking down towards the simple kitchen and the rooms meant for his family, the mali warrior would flinch, unable to head down there, that was not a home, it was but a husk of what it could’ve been. He would look at the wooden logs he had carved to make into a table, placing his cape over them and using it as a bed.

That night his father’s voice came to him in his dreams,  "It was then when darkness itself, Iblees, stood tall for one last time, letting out a hateful laugh before saying: "You mortals believe you can simply banish me from this plane and that my taint shall not last? I have touched this world with evil and it shall forever be part of the souls that inhabit it." Iblees turned to face Malin and with a swift statement he said "MALIN, father of Elves! I curse you with sterility, you and your kin shall forever lack the children they need. May your forest halls forever be silent, and your hearts heavy with sadness."" and with that  Thordir woke up suddenly, sweating and looking towards the shadow. It was just a nightmare, a memory of his father telling him the tale of the four brothers, a kids tale. But those words struck deep, sending Thordir into a deep state of sadness as he tried to rest within his empty home. 

unknown.png

OOC:

I’ve been writing a bit recently about some of the things going on with one of my characters. Thought it would be a good idea to share a bit of his development here. The content of this post is a bit old, and took place several months ago.