From The Ashes

Criala

The words kept echoing within Rosalia’s head.

"I know that it hurts, but you can find comfort in the fact that you know you will see her again."

Words meant to be comforting for the news that her sister was dying. They had been comforting, a mantra she kept repeating in her head so she didn’t repeatedly break down crying in front of Tanila.

"I am partaking in an assault against the dragonkin."

"Well, I happen to be as well!" Rosalia lifted her arms so she could pull him into a hug.

Avius frowned a little, despite reciprocating the embrace without hesitation. "I hesitate to fight such creatures with you at my side." He admitted with blunt honesty. "They are not simple trifles."

She tilted her head up so she could look at him. "Because of what they are?"

"Because I do not think you have the martial experience to stand up to them." He said genuinely, and with concern. "You are new to this art, and will be thrown into a den of dragons. Quite literally."

"That is true..." She trailed off in a murmur, breathing out a sigh. "I wanted to be able to help."

"I am not going to order you to stay here, if you truly wish to fight. But trust me when I say that these things are not to be underestimated. They are the creatures that killed Andria in the first place."

"Would you be able to focus if I went? Or would it be a distraction?"

"It would be a distraction." He answered, again, with brutal honesty.

"I wouldn't want to hinder you in battle." She nodded her head.

"It is a mark of my own weakness more than anything else." He said with a sigh.

"I don't think it's a weakness to love or care." She murmured her reply.

Now those words were what she clung to as she struggled to keep herself afloat.

Nen?”

What is it, Rosy? Are you okay?”

Have you… Have you seen Avius?” Rosalia faltered in getting the words out, unshed tears in her eyes. Perhaps she already knew the answer to the question she was asking, desperately hoping for a different answer.

Nenar stared at her sister for a few seconds, giving no vocal reply. Instead, the small ‘ame pulled Rosalia into a tight hug.

Rosalia collapsed into her sister’s shoulder, full on sobbing now.

Amber stared at the signs upon the side of the house.

Avius Csarathaire.

Rosalia.

She hadn’t been able to bring herself to remove the sign with his name on it so she just added one with her name below it.

"When I first me-met..."

She cleared her throat as her voice broke.

"When I first met Avius, it was brief, many years ago in Elvenesse. He asked me how I got my scar and told me I should come up with a cooler story for it to tell people in the future."

A quiet chuckle escaped her, her hand lifting to brush over the scar on her left cheek.

"We weren't close until a decade or so ago when we ran into each other again here. Then I really got to know him."

Another set of tears began as her hand dropped from her cheek.

"He showed me what it meant to have fire, because his was contagious. What it meant to have strength... To never stop fighting for what you believed in... Even if you were the only one standing for it."

༻✧༺

"I suppose you might say I light your fires." He said with a flourish, looking quite satisfied with himself.

She sputtered out a quiet laugh. "Yes, that would be correct, I would say."

Avius rested back then, laying on his back and shutting his eyes, hands behind his head. "I am satisfied with your laughter."

"Then I am glad to be of service to you as well." Her eyes scanned his face. "Would you say I light your fires too?"

"I have found myself alive again since you came to me. So yes, the fires burn hot."

༻✧༺

"Then come here, and embrace me. Let your fears fall away, for now."

"You always make me feel better." She didn't hesitate to wrap her arms around him, leaning into him.

"That's my new duty." He said with a wry smirk, committing to the embrace and planting a kiss on her forehead.

"You do it well." She smiled, letting out a content sigh.

༻✧༺

"Your faith in me is almost unbelievable, you know. I was almost prepared to let you go, if only to spare you the drama."

"You've done nothing for me to not have faith in you." She reached out a hand to grasp his and give it a squeeze. "I'd just find you again."

༻✧༺

I love you, Avius.”

And I love you, Rosalia.”

KfKopQTsayr3BRhDLv9jaFI2-i6JJIVqVLQtbKRfVmGABWZgMTpDiMEsq6ALQtFQ77ID6GOQf1uFc0YH6QQempLHXmAYqFHXP0SqE16c3qiXKLkANPvt65XMgbI76bPtf4H-yg8-DjtifAFk

Art By Wlop 

I only greyscaled the picture

༻✧༺

A bundle was tucked in her arms, a small tan face peeking out of the blanket. The infant slept soundly, resting against Rosalia’s chest.

She supported the child in one arm, her other hand lifting to brush her fingers along his cheek. “Your Maln named you, you know.”

If we ever have a son, what do you think is a good name?” She asked, curious golden eyes meeting icy blue. "I already know I want to name a daughter after Tanila."

Aren’t you eager?” He asked, a signature smirk on his face.

I-I was just curious! J-Just answer the question!” She sputtered out, her cheeks darkening.

A chuckle escaped him, before he took a moment to think. “Arradian.”

Arradian.” She repeated after him, a smile tugging at her lips. “I like it.”

Slowly, the child’s eyes opened, revealing icy blue eyes.

Arradian.”

From the ashes, another phoenix rose.

Arradian Csarathaire.