CODEX MANONAE - vol. i

CODEX MANONAE

VOL. I

A COLLECTION OF TALES FROM A YOUNG GIRL’S ADVENTURES

oy3HO8VT_avVMT6zrRwpnGOlW4dQTy9w8qZkiHBomuZlwo1cRTUpf3pjT9Bll-gGGJYE0rCDV8R5vZhu3r8Pgwe311wFaq07i3MIW1zTe6cSwS6Haj3a9pRs7RtIT5FpEcqjkrKKAqRb2Hf0yg

Manon sits by the lake in Dobrov.

Spoiler

CODEX MANONAE, VOL I

BEING, BY NATURE OF ITS NAME AND ITS WRITING, AN ACCOUNT OF SPIRITS, FAE-FOLK, UNCANNY CREATURES, AND OTHER MAGICAL BEINGS THAT I, MANON YVAINE ASHFORD DE FALSTAFF, HAVE ENCOUNTERED IN MY (MANY AND VARIED) EXPLORINGS OF THE REALM OF ALMARIS.

-=✺=-

I am Manon, and I wrote all of this! I’ve been all sorts of places, and seen all sorts of strange creatures, and I thought it would be a good idea to write them down, just in case other people want to know. This is NOT an official Faedom CREATURE COMPENDIUM, because I’m not sure how Princess Elizaveta made hers, so it’s not going to be nearly as fancy.

I

THE DOLL-PEOPLE

HtJJMLGbAzpmM6Ty4WRlQlG9N2lhRJQR_NioTMiBCxQf1YElDqjNc9TEJQ1zMswBpcj63oh6ntu3tZHVAcrJhSie_UhSl78SAOWdAjSNbmkh1A7ha7eAuRbMvaF6reFy1y0gODfk4iG99DlDfQ

This is Mini-Manon. She’s the EMPRESS of the Doll-People. The little boy is there to show how small she is.

The Doll-People are all magical dolls, and they’re all alive secretly. All of the Doll-People are able to walk around, talk, and even sing when we aren’t looking, but only the most powerful of them can do it it while people watch. They live in toy shops, houses, and sometimes in the woods, because when dolls get left behind for long enough, they come alive, so they can entertain themselves.

Not all the Doll-People look like people. BIGGIE SMALLS is Sadie’s Doll-Person that she takes care of, and he’s a magical horse. He’s very powerful, and he can fly around on his own even when people are watching. Most of them can’t do that, though.

The Doll-People are very very quiet, and they don’t like to be disturbed. Mini-Manon, who I take care of, told me that the Doll-People find it extremely rude when people try to surprise them and startle them into moving around, so DON’T DO THAT.

-=✺=-

II

THE BEAR-MEN

ZqZelH4KAWT-_Knfk2pBf_Q_vol9-gcHTHVoZ_S5A2DJ7IQgPh6KG37N16NJi-GXzKB42kaBj2f1Lt23DUmFdhqDd80Hpx2UtT0cvHifLDeKlDld0ivG4piStEGN9cDirsIQEPpOqn_dqyEzwQ

This is me with Mister Bear. 

Deep in the forests in the way-north of Oren is a huge cave. The cave is where Mister Bear - one of the many Bear-Men - lives. The Bear-Men are a bunch of big old bears, except they live like people, and take baths and sometimes wear clothes, and they can read and write. Most of them are very quiet, and they usually live very very far away from people.

Although I have only met one (Mister Bear) I believe that there are many more out there. There’s a rug in the tavern in Vienne that used to be a Bear-Man, and he still talks to me sometimes, when I sit by the fire. He tells me stories about when he was alive, and about eating honey and playing in streams.

The Bear-Men are not mean and evil, and they should NOT be hurt, even if you are afraid of them. They’re usually very nice, but if you hurt them they will attack you back so that they can stay alive.

-=✺=-

III

THE WHITE LADY

IOz16JT2n_-9vbiet1qMtLrGiYW51AeH72DfvxhuK663y3ualE2gDvn6m6e1O8BLfn1vsKOjk27rLWpBJyLQwa71dKLpfwBycrQyKXA_TjJW_k4wje3nRHNbMLv_wjKRHQIwj0D3SuEHWgcdvQ

The White Lady came riding through the woods on her white horse, and then disappeared as soon as I saw her.

The White Lady is the ghost of a noble lady from Haense, and she haunts the forests of Dobrov. She’s very tall, and she’s as pale as moonbeams, but her hair is darker than blackness. She only ever comes out at night-time, and she’s so quiet that you might think she’s just a bit of cloud in the trees. 

The Lady rides around on the ghost of her horse, which is just as white as she is. Both of them are very skittish  - when I first tried to say hello, they disappeared into the woods in the blink of an eye.

I don’t know how she died, or what exactly her powers are, but she seems like a nice spirit, if a little bit shy. I believe, though, that she’s the magical protector of the lake in Dobrov, because she was riding away from it when I spotted her, and the lake is always covered in moonbeams. Please give her lots of space, and don’t come too close if you do spot her.

-=✺=-

IV

THE GIANT RABBITS OF ACRE

5AQFBdP1HoZKklYXcnIAr3KqiaThdsy9R3-J42yc-4rWPHsocSxkdUYG9Nr_caVoGDL7D-5b3_CNVx5p7Psrq6no62PuiQwWlbGgf8nKT1mx51-lezVvZZz7uF-KqXUHDvn0GOUSw8XBIZA5Fw

T his is my rabbit, Lanre, dressed up in a suit. I wouldn’t actually make him wear one, but the drawing looked very handsome.

Dobrov is not the only forest with mystical and magical inhabitants. The ACRE woods, which are much less cold and much closer to home, also have all sorts of creatures living in them. These ones, I discovered on a walk with Wolfgang.

The giant rabbits are... exactly that, they’re huge! Each one is almost the size of me, and they’re big enough that a baby (or a Doll-Person) could ride on top of them like a horse. The rabbits are very friendly, and are happy to be petted or fed veggies or carried around, if you can lift them. They live in a giant network of tunnels underneath Acre, and at night time, when nobody is looking, all the giant rabbits come together underneath the square and have formal balls, just like people do.

They’re very polite animals, and although they can’t talk, they’re still very civilized. Please don’t hunt them.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

The world is a great big magical place, and as a senator of THE VALTAKOENGZEM OF FAEDOM, it is my responsibility to educate people about the magical creatures within it! These are some of the creatures I have found, but not nearly all of them, and I will probably write more when I find more.

SIGNED,

Her Serene High-upness, MANON YVAINE ASHFORD DE FALSTAFF

Princess of the Starmen, Magical Treasures-Keeper, Royal Adviser to the Empress of the Doll People, Bestest Dressed in Vienne, Grand Auri of the gardens, the Enchanted Court Artist

DtiCJqFtBz0N8KUcahjXfOlnQABR2eRQTSQDsOo2EvtzaNSzWJO8pFmvtEpZE8sLjRM-vmS2Pu8EHwuK9OJISaZVdsrM3vXY-wzfq6RNGREEzgCsSxtN7d2-phnT0tf0H4tvnTDQtern0VllWA

Her Magical Majesty, MISCHA FLORENTINA LESANOV-FALCONE

Valtakoenas of The Realm of Faedom, Speaker of the Spirits, Protectorate of the Spirits, Forest Guardian, Flower Beholder, Best Beetle Chef, Watcher of the Lake

image.png.81645bb614884d5d78f1491eea2397ff.png

3 hours ago, wowsirss said:

-=✺=-

III

THE WHITE LADY

IOz16JT2n_-9vbiet1qMtLrGiYW51AeH72DfvxhuK663y3ualE2gDvn6m6e1O8BLfn1vsKOjk27rLWpBJyLQwa71dKLpfwBycrQyKXA_TjJW_k4wje3nRHNbMLv_wjKRHQIwj0D3SuEHWgcdvQ

The White Lady came riding through the woods on her white horse, and then disappeared as soon as I saw her.

The White Lady is the ghost of a noble lady from Haense, and she haunts the forests of Dobrov. She’s very tall, and she’s as pale as moonbeams, but her hair is darker than blackness. She only ever comes out at night-time, and she’s so quiet that you might think she’s just a bit of cloud in the trees. 

The Lady rides around on the ghost of her horse, which is just as white as she is. Both of them are very skittish  - when I first tried to say hello, they disappeared into the woods in the blink of an eye.

I don’t know how she died, or what exactly her powers are, but she seems like a nice spirit, if a little bit shy. I believe, though, that she’s the magical protector of the lake in Dobrov, because she was riding away from it when I spotted her, and the lake is always covered in moonbeams. Please give her lots of space, and don’t come too close if you do spot her.

An erstwhile Dobrov resident sweat profusely as he read the codex entry with stunned eyes. "She was not supposed to escape! How in the blazes did she escape? Godfrey's knickers, she was not meant to escape!"