Response to Book One Engagement

Jenkins0311

Hello friends,

I hope this finds you well.

I have no words... the amount of support I have received from the community in the last 12 hours... I simply just have no words. Alamo told me that the post hit in the top 3 of user engagement within an hour or so. I won't lie, I didn't believe him at first until I saw it with my own eyes.

My wife and I talked last night, and we both would like to again extend a debt of gratitude for the LoTC community. The fact that my wife was overjoyed.... you all have no idea how much joy that brings to me as a husband.... Thank you.

As promised, I said that if the community seemed interested in the first book, I would drop some hints on the second book.... And man... I never expected anything like this!

So, being a man of my word, here you all go! Please enjoy the  back print and the entire First Chapter of the second installment of the Almaris Chronicles: Foxes in the Forest!

Back Print

“Jingle, jangle, in the tangles

Foxes roam the night

Running, cunning, always hunting

Bite… Bite… BITE!”

The sequel that pays honor to one of the greatest community of online role players, Foxes in the Forest is the second installment in the Almaris Chronicles. Taking place the spring following the end of Among the Spires of East Fleet, we again follow our cast of characters in their various searches to find peace within themselves and the world around them while also being forced to contend with the unimaginable consequences of their prior actions.

Come along, of course leaving your fears behind lest you lose whatever semblance of humanity you might still hold, and venture into the underbelly of the scourge of civilization, as something rustles the brush in the wake of the fallen Empire of Oren. Hold your breath as we discover that while not all men are animals, some however, have no problem becoming monsters.

Link To Chapter One

PLEASE NOTE: The contents of this chapter depict some scenes of graphic violence that may not be suitable for readers under the age of 18. Discretion is advised.

[Contact Jenkins0311 via discord or Messenger to receive link to Doc's link.]

NOTE:

It was brought to my attention in the comments below by the user Nectorist, that the scene described in Chapter 1 of Book 2 was in fact to violent for me to feel comfortable with while maintaining a reasonable sense of honoring the community as a whole. After discussing some options with him and a few trusted friends, I must admit that perhaps after some of the events that transpired in the first book, that I went to far in writing this chapter and that is on me as a writer; for that I am sorry. I have revised the chapter to tone down the scene while still offering the tragic truth that is the sins of the character involved. However, I feel like as a member of this community and as a writer, I am not above being told something is just "to much". My goal is to honor the mythos of this platform and it's members and I will do everything in my power to do that, while also writing a narrative that is uniquely my own in both scope and presentation. With all of that said, I will send the revised link tot he Google Doc file for Chapter 1 of the second book as I am asked to do so. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Edited by Jenkins0311
Someone was right about something

392421635_CoverArt.thumb.jpg.0175cc8a533a4da423a0ed63ab2efbcb.jpg

The cover art for Book 2.... For some reason it wouldn't load in the forum post.

I think you’ve gotten off to a good start and want to encourage you to keep writing. That said, there is something I’d like to mention.

It seems you include themes of rape and sexual assault in your works. While I understand that handling mature subject matter is a big part of your writing, LOTC doesn’t allow for sexual assault to be RP’d out or written in lore (for obvious reasons). I think it would be best to shy away from writing about some of those topics so that people who come across your work don’t get the wrong idea about your source material and what is actually considered acceptable on the server.

Other than that, keep up the good work

In response to Necrotist:

First off, thank you for your words of support. Whether critical or encouraging, I welcome them with open arms.

In regards to your post regarding Rape/Sexual Assault. I can completely agree with your stance and I earnestly understand where you are coming from. For someone unfamiliar with the LoTC mythos and ethos, it would come across as if we were a vial and detest-full bunch of individuals, even though a large majority of players are more concerned about RP'ing what color flowers they are wanting to plant in their garden. So, that said, I can understand and appreciate the fact that you would not want to community portrayed in a way that undermines the core following of the community and what they have built over a number of years.

With that said, I suppose it should be considered that a revision of this scene be made in order to still convey the sense of unnerving reality of evil that lies within the character of Guile at this moment in his life, but also to maintain a level of respect for the community moving forward. I will revise this and re-submit once I have something written down.

Lastly, would you mind to reach out to me personally via discord? I would love to bounce ideas off of you if at all possible. Although some timelines and story archs of the LoTC lore must be adapted for a narrative work, I want to ensure COMPLETELY that the users and the community are properly represented.

Thank you and have a great day.

In response to Nectorist, I have revised this post. I would like to be the first to publicly state that I apologize for taking that opening scene a bit to far narratively. I am not above being told when I need to tone things down, and I am thankful for individuals such as this who are willing to actually speak up and give me honest community feedback, regardless if it is good or bad. The chapter has been revised and is now ready for viewing for anyone wishing to message me and request the link. I still seek to write a piece of work that is uniquely my own in the sense that it is willing to dive deeper than many would feel comfortable venturing, but some things just don't need to be touched. Thank you and have a good evening.