Too Trusting [PK]

The term “stranger danger” had never properly settled with Alvena. Despite her family’s best efforts, Alvena remained stubbornly trusting. It usually worked out in her favor, and when it didn’t, she still managed to find a way out, often through her might. Though, her luck would run out.

Her trusting nature was tightly wound with her love of people. She desperately craved the development of friendships and the promise of belonging and approval it contained. That is why when a pair of friendly faces invited her into a secluded place, she was all too willing.

It didn’t end in a huge battle as the girl had often imagined, or rather dreamed, her death occurring. She was simply caught off guard. As one restrained her, the other slashed her heel, and the will to fight was gone as she realized there was no way out.

In a single moment, her entire future was destroyed. All her plans slipped from her grasp and all her relationships ended. So many things were left unsaid and yet to be done but all she could think of was

“Dad…”

The most important relationship of them all, that between her and her dad, Orion. Perhaps the one mercy in all this was she never found out that she was leaving her dad after another significant loss. Still, as her life slipped from her, the most devastating realization is that she may not ever see her dad again.

Likely her most admirable quality, that of her trust and love for people, would be what ripped her away from all who loved her in life. She was brash, easily angered, and irresponsible, but in the end, it was her trust that killed her.

Spoiler

I really loved playing Alvena. She is probably my favorite character I've ever played, here or otherwise. Her story definitely ended a lot sooner than I had thought it would, but it was really great for as long as it lasted. I am sorry to all the people whose plans I cut short by PKing her. I know she meant a lot to a lot of people and had a lot of unfinished business. The choice to PK her had a lot to do with my own feelings about the her story and how it would be affected for me if I chose to go the route of monk revival.

I am really thankful to everyone who made her story so special to me. Her death would not have devastated me so much if it weren't for all the amazing friends, family, and even foes she had. Though I won't be as involved in their stories now, I hope they continue to be great. I love you all. 💙

It was nothing but grief. The form he found was still and cold, and not a sound from his lips nor the prayers he pleaded to whatever god might show mercy could bring back what was so violently stolen from him. 

Everything he had given, every day he strived to be better, someone better for them. His children, those gentle faces who had looked to him with trust and joy. Now, so much torn from him in such a short time, as his family was reduced to two. Had it all been worth it? Everything sacrificed? Of course it had, just to see the smile on her face. Anything for her to know she was safe, and that he was proud of her above all else. She was so good, worth everything.

The walls of Hokhmat trembled, for a short time. Like a roll of thunder as he stared, near catatonic at that white sheet with the horrible knowledge of what was beneath. You never understand, until it strikes you and your kin, the true awful tendencies of the world and it's dark corners. Each time before now he had taken it, sat idle, ignored with the feeble hope that it would pass him by and he would not have to face it. It was clear now that pacifism was not enough, to drive the worldly demons away. 

For the first time in years, Orion would seek his blade. It would not happen again.