DOES IT MATTER?

elven_city_in_forest_by_ferdinandladera_

“You are conflicted.”

Amaesil stared at the cup of warm tea in his hands. Where am I? he thought as he looked around. He was sitting in a stone arbor overlooking a lush forest city. He was in a large, stone keep that had trees and bushes crawling up its mountainous exterior. In front of him was a table and cushioned seats; an elf wearing a crown of bark and berries stared back at him quizzically.

“Is this real?” Amaesil asked.

“Does it matter?”

Amaesil found it difficult to respond. Does it matter? he thought. He felt at peace here, but it was certainly not home; not his home, at least.

“You are conflicted,” the elf repeated. He took a sip of his tea.

“Of course I am,” Amaesil responded. “She spoke true: what matters more than my family? My nation? Am I truly destined to relinquish these things for my own ambition?”

“Your own?”

“My own.”

The elf chuckled. “I highly doubt that. The path you walk is similar to those before you: Avius, Awaiti and even myself. To lead and to foster a community does not always mean wearing a crown or finding happiness in family, oem’ii. It is not ambition that put you on this track; it is duty.”

Amaesil frowned. He looked out across the city skyline. Small shapes moved through the streets and across bridges: elves. There were few of them. “Your halls are rather empty, laurir.”

“I am told that yours are, too, these days.”

Amaesil laughed at the sly remark. He returned his gaze to the curious elf. “What are the first steps, my King?” The pair spoke for hours. When Amaesil returned, he was surrounded by books and tomes of his own making. Was it real? he asked himself one last time. Does it matter?