To Become A Fox

TaytoTot

Spoiler

TO BECOME A

FOX

dbd2f33cb91370aae186e80c3eb6765c.jpg

“So you are set on being a Vuln’miruel then?”

"Ti! I think it is a much better seed to take pride in.”

“I always considered you a vuln’ii, I am glad you’re going to make it official.”

“So…What exactly do I have to do for this trial?”

“You will come back after smoking something.”

Nerves. Oh, how did the girl start to panic in her mind? What could go wrong?

“You can do this, okay? Whatever happens, all you have to do is move forward. Trust Alo.”

“What happens if I do ne move forward? Will something happen to me?”

“Ne.”

“So there is nothing to worry about then!” She had smiled as she had never smiled before, but it was all just to cover up how scared she was. Oh, spirits…What could show up?

Ventys wandered through the Elven forests, following her trusted fox, Alo. He guided her by walking between her legs, the feeling of his fur against her dark skin brought her down his path for her. The fox stayed very close to the elfess, not wanting her to get lost. She had been blindfolded and given drugs, in hopes that she would hallucinate. 

The footsteps of the two within the greenlands would start to be drained out by other noises, consuming the girl’s mind. Her sense of hearing had to be the sharpest now, as her sight was taken from her. Alo then stopped, his fur no longer being felt by her. The knot that held her blindfold became loose and as she reached down to find Alo, it easily slipped off of her face. Brown fabric fell to the ground and she looked up. Before the girl stood a tree, but this was no ordinary tree. The tree almost glittered within the night, a purple glow illuminating the tree. “What…” She asked herself, looking at it.

Am I already hallucinating?

Whispers would start to form, mumbles and words going through the mind of the poor elfess. Though, one would quickly become recognisable. Vallein, her uncle’s voice. "Ventys. Trust Alo, trust Sonnos. Get to the Fox Hole."

As she stared at the tree, her eyes filled with a fascination. A line formed between her brows, watching as purples floated around the tree. Little did she know, this was one of the real things she was seeing. Her eyes would leave the tree, looking to the area around her. Shadows ducked behind trees, and others moved between the natural life. These sounds of movements and whispers came from everywhere.

Don’t kill me.

Alo approached Ventys and hopped up on his hind legs, pawing at her thighs. They then reached up to her stomach before he fell to the ground. All of this was to try and get her attention. Her maroon gaze looked down at the fox, tilting slightly. “What is it?” She asked. The fox then started to move on, going into the forest. He glanced behind him a few times as Ventys followed. She moved slowly behind the fox, her head whipping around to find all of the shadows that hid from her. These shadows continued to whisper and stare though with each glance Ventys whipped about. The shadows hid behind bushes and leaves now, following her. 

Just help me run away from everyone.

Alo led her and the shadows started to part. When they passed a tree, the shadows and whispers from that specific area would vanish from sight. This did not occur for Ventys, but instead the fox. His name was Alo after all - a spiritual guide. And that was just what he was going to do. The two walked and Ventys felt small hands grasp for her robes, gently tugging at them. Though, the girl had kept going. Travelling from city to city had taught the girl to not be bothered by the tugs. People brushed against her all the time in these cities. 

As whispering raged on in her mind, one would rise above all the rest. "Another angsty dedicant." It would start to taunt. "Oooh! And this one is a Vuln..."

I need a place to stay.

A laugh would start to rise, taking over the girl's mind. She had recognised it to be Sonna's, her grandmother's. This laugh was twisted and evil, mocking the girl. "Another Vuln to fail."

Where I can cover up my face.

Ventys froze where she stood. Her eyes started to dance as she looked at Alo, not sure if she even wanted to look over. “I will ne fail…” She assured herself. Her mind clouded with thoughts as her own grandmother's voice taunted her. 

What if I fail? I have already failed marhaelun, maln, Bacchus, Otellia. I failed them all. What if I can ne even pass a stupid trial? Am I really this weak?

Ventys' eyes then looked over to these ‘hands’. Instead, they were vines that curled and moved like fingers. As she saw the vines, she jumped up slightly, her fear getting to her. She quickly calmed though, as the vines were well, just vines. They quickly retracted from her. They were just figments of her imagination and nothing more. 

Don’t cry.

The fox slipped round a tree, vanishing just briefly from sight. Ventys quickly tried to find Alo, not wanting to lose him. As she turned the corner, she saw one of her lovers standing where she would have expected Alo. He appeared to be standing in the doorway into the tree. The mali'ker would smile at Ventys.

“My Moonlight!” She beamed, going to step close to the doorway. 

Two voices spoke in one; Otellia and Bacchus. “You know… you never really were my first choice. You just stuck around the longest.” 

I am just a freak.

The pain of that stabbed Ventys right in the heart. Her eyes widened. “I-” She paused, choking up on words. “Ne! You don't mean that!” Ventys started to stumble backwards, wanting to leave this. “We've been through so much…” She whispered to herself, her eyes going to look up in the window. There stood Otellia, smiling down at the girl. Betrayal. As she stumbled backwards, she would fall to the ground. Her crimson eyes started to pool with tears. The two people who she loved.

They don’t want me anymore? 

I am just a freak.

Otellia spoke up from her elevated position down to Ventys. “He does, he told me so last night.” 

As Ventys stayed on the ground she felt a sloppy tongue lick at her cheek as Alo looked at her. A tilt in the foxes head as the Gold Cross' eyes stayed on Ventys. 

It was fake.

The giggles of Otellia and Bacchus slowly stalled as their eyes returned to her. “Come inside… We both know you can't leave.” The two of them taunted her. Bacchus opened the door behind him and inside she would see all of the women she had ever worried about. Women Ventys feared.

I am just a freak.

Alo continued to lick at her face and pace away, clearly attempting to get her to follow him.

Ventys looked between Alo and Bacchus. Temptation tried to pull her in, but she knew better. “I know you…” She would say to Bacchus, a sour look taking over her face. “You wouldn't dare betray my trust again.” 

My head is filled with parasites

“You're too scared to leave.” The mali'ker's voice called after her as Alo led Ventys forward.

“I suppose you don’t know me well enough.” She barked, pushing herself up from where she sat. She wiped the tears from her eyes, following Alo, leaving the scene behind her!

Black holes cover up my eyes

As she followed Alo the voices died out. The whispers picked back up, many voices overlayed with each other before she heard a shout, a pained shout. It came from far past Alo and sounded like someone had been attacked.

Ventys would start to pick up her speed, trying to find where this shout had come from. “Who's hurt!?” She shouted back, her eyes looking over the area to try and find who it could be.

I dream of you almost every night.

In a clearing. She would see a man with an Alter embedded in his heart. Blood pooled around the man that she would recognize as Avurak Ikala. Her father. His eyes moved towards her as he reached out a hand towards her.

Ventys froze. As her eyes looked, she couldn’t dare even know why she imagined this. “No no no no no…” She quickly ran over to her father, kneeling next to him. “Maln!” She started to panic, grabbing onto her father. “Maln! You'll be okay! I'll get Haelun and she can help you. She can heal you!” She cried out.

Hopefully, I won’t wake up this time.

Avurak would shake his head as he grabbed her hand. “Ne…” As he spoke blood trickled out of his mouth. “Ventys, just stay here… forever. Don't leave me.”

Ventys looked into his purple eyes, staring at them. “Maln, I have to get you help, please!” She begged, going to wrap her arms around him. “I can't just let you die out here!” As she blinked, tears started to rapidly pour down her cheeks. “I've been such a horrible daughter - to you and Haelun. I have to fix this. PLEASE!” She screamed, her voice becoming raspy from all the distress.

I won’t wake up this time.

Avurak would shake his head. “Ne, this death, it's good. Your haelun, too far.” He coughed up some blood as his eyes went bloodshot “You are ayla… You are Ventys. You have to believe you are.” A rustle can be heard in the wood as her father looked towards it. His eyes then slowly went back to her. “They are coming back, go. You have to, for me. I can't watch you die here.” His voice pleaded as his hand reached up and brushed her cheek. 

Ventys closed her eyes as he brushed his desaturated fingers against her cheek. She couldn’t stop the tears from pouring. She shook her head before getting up from where she sat. “I will avenge you, Maln.” She bit her lip, taking in a deep breath. As she looked towards his hand, she saw Alo nudging at her face to get her attention. Her eyes went to Alo and he started to pace away, urging her following.

“Go,” Avurak called out to her again. His voice was stern but weak as the rustling grew closer.

I won’t wake up this time.

It pained her deeply to part with him this way. How could I possibly get out everything I need to? She looked over to Alo, going to follow him. She had become slower, sorrow overcoming her as she had to leave her father behind.

The woods closed around her, more vines hitting her as Alo led her before. The shadows crept closer and pulled at her as she followed the fox. The density of it all likely pushed her down to a hunch before light broke through and the density faded away. A clearing from it all. The sun beat down on her as the woods opened up to a path. She recognized two figures she saw up the road. As she approached, she saw her mother and Vallein talk and laugh with each other. “There's no way your daughter will get through this. Can you believe I told her I believed in her?” 

Lalytl quickly spoke through her laughs “Aspects, I know! She believed I was proud of her? She's a failure. Ata.” The two would continue laughing as Alo walked right between them, still glancing back at Ventys, to see if she'd follow.

Ventys put a hand to her chest, watching as the two spoke. Her brows furrowed once more, silently standing there. She mumbled soft things to herself, but then her eyes looked to Alo. Alo had reminded her that all of this was fake, but she looked back to Vallein, a slight look of the pain present. “I got this,” She told herself, following Alo. As long as she could see him, it would be fine!

As Ventys walked through the middle of them, they vanished from sight. Ventys found herself perking up as she followed Alo, she fell over. Her legs had finally given up. She was not able to feel her arms or legs, the limbs becoming numb. 

Alo rushed back to her and Vallein and Laltyl rushed to her side. “Ventys? What happened, are you ok?” They spoke to her as if what they had just said previously never happened, concern in both of their voices.

Ventys laid there on the ground, an obvious distress present within her. As she heard their voices, it grew. Her face showed fear, and her muscles went to pick herself up, but nothing happened. “G-get away from me, you monsters!” She yelled at them.

“Ventys… what do you need?” The two spoke together at once. “Tell us what you need. We are here for you, let us help you.” Her mother's voice was shaking as it would before someone was about to cry and Vallein's was stricken with concern.

“I just want to go home!” The girl had cried out, her eyes starting to look up to the sky. As she did such, they would start to unfocus, everything slowly blurring together. A peace. The blurriness would give the girl a sense of peace she so desperately needed after all that happened.

“Well, this isn't home so don't get comfortable.” Vallein would reach under her arm and start to lift her to her feet. Laltyl would do the same with her other arm “We are a Talonnii. Please…. Let us help you.”

Alo would nudge her several times attempting to nudge her to her feet as well as the other two.

As the elfess was lifted, she couldn't feel much of anything. “Wait… you're real!?” She asked, looking between the two, hoping it was true!

“We're always with you, Vuln'ii.” Vallein smiled at her as Ventys finally came to her feet. Her strength slowly returned as Alo seemed to pace around happily. Her mother spoke up once more, “Can we help you finish?”

“Please…” She mumbled, her feet starting to stumble from underneath her. “Will marhaelun be there..?”

“We will all see.” The two started to move forward with her, following Alo. Ventys slowly noticed that she was walking on her own. Vallein and Laltyl had faded as she accepted their help, her strength and balance had completely returned to her as she made her way the final paces towards the Fox Hole.

. . .

Ventys stumbled into the Fox Hole, the noise of her return being quite obvious. “I am never going into a forest ever again.”

Vallein moved quickly towards the entrance, a bright smile on his face as he went to grab her and lift her off her feet in a hug “You did it!”

A smile would quickly go to her face as her Uncle picked her up. “Well, yeah! I'm like…the strongest person I know!”

“I can still fail you.” He retorted.

Laughs started to fill the Fox Hole, the pain of it all leaving her. 

It was all a hallucination, right?

"Are you ready for your ilmyumier?”

"Ti. I think I'm ready."

"Have you thought about where you want it to be placed?"

"My ribs, closest to my heart. I will cherish it forever."