A RETURN HOME.

Krugallah

THE MARGRAVIATE OF VELEN, 14th of Godfrey's Triumph, 1897.

ab16ca137885c695a66ba6b2f8df4a1c.jpg

It had indeed been a long, long while. A while spent in the South, perusing the deserts and getting to know the lands nearby the Kingdom of Balian, ruled by a house much like his own - that claimed descendance from Exalted Horen and His House, the House of Horen. Though the Novellens claims were much more settled and concise, true still were the shared origins. A while spent in the North, understanding this Haensenic independence and the might of House Barbanov and it's Graceful Lord, the Koeng Karl III. Although a well-traveled and knowledgeable man, and knowing about history the way he did, although mighty and powerful, he thought it was weird that the Haenseni had finally found independence, considering their past. In the West, there wasn't much to see. The Elven States - so called Malin'or - thrived, and despite its recent fall, he still attributed it to greed over lack of trust in the State. And despite the fall of Malin'or at large, the young man observed that the Principality of Celia'nor thrived still, and the spirtualist folk of Nor'asath remained. In the East, however, it was where the crown jewel of a travelling man of his cadre was located; the United Kingdom of Aaun.

He had heard, through rumors and shared interests, of where his family had settled down - or, rather, where she had married into. She was eleven years his senior, and so, he wouldn't blame her if he showed up upon her doorstep and she did not recognise him. Did not give him the benefit of a look and glance. No. Thus, the Margraviate was the last place that the young man elected to visit. First, he visited Old Vienne and its grace. Then, he visited Minitz and its charming beauty. Not one of the cities and villages that integrated the rebuilding Kingdom of Aaun was left unvisited - not even the recently traitorous city of Acre. He visited them all, and made sure to speak to at least one working man in each of them. A man of the people - or, at least, a man of the people on the outside - that was enough to convince most of them.

When he arrived in Mons Cantal - a name which evoked a subtle grin on the young man's lips - he was faced by the dutiful house-guards that stood upon the gateway. Of course - for a man to randomly stumble upon the location would mean questions were in order. And thus, in line with their duty, the man approached the young individual, and asked; "What do you wish for here, traveller?" and as a good, compliant and respectful young man, the Philip de Cantal did so answer; "I am here to be reunited with my family. I've been made aware that my sister is wed to your liege, the Honorable Lord Leopold von Reuss." and the men looked between them, and then back at the man. There was a moment of shared hesitation, before one of them asked; "Your name?" And like a compliant young man, so did he speak; "My name is Philip Owyn de Cantal." The men shared a nod, and despite skepticism, would go to announce - and ask the validity of - the arrival of young Philip. And thus, it marked so; House Cantal reunited, and despite one not carrying the name, another shall carry it, for the glory of Velen and the triumph of Aaun.

A letter would be delivered to the Honorable Margrave Leopold von Reuss, asked to be given to his hands, to be read by him and his lady wife only.

Spoiler

My brother-in-law, the Honorable Margrave of Velen, Count of Cantal, Baron of Mons Velena, Leopold Ulrich von Reuss, and his Lady Wife and my sister, the Honorable Margravine of Velen, Countess of Cantal, Baroness of Mons Velena, Seneschal of Velen, Ravenna Valentina von Reuss,

My Lord, I know not if my sister, your honorable Lady Wife, has ever spoken to me of you. I would not blame her - she is eleven years my senior, and with such an age gap, I am afraid that we were never quite able to be close. Upon my sixteenth birthday, I took to travelling the Realm, knowing full well that my good sister would do honorably to the name of our House, and honorably did she do so. It brings me great joy to see that she has found a true and honorable man, and that she is happy and comfortable. This letter, my Good Lord, is a letter of introduction; though I'm sure we'll have the chance to do such in person - or, at least, I hope so. If she has never spoken of me, my name is Philip Owyn de Cantal. I've recently just arrived from my travels, having not caught wind of the news regarding Acre, Aaun and all the recent developments amidst the nations of Men, and it brings me sadness that I could not be here earlier to aid in the qualms of the House von Reuss, and the House of Alstion and the Kingdom of Aaun at large.

I am making myself available and at your service, Honorable Margrave. I'd like to consider myself studied enough and knowledgeable enough to state that I'm capable at statecraft, and my training with men of the Elven Celia'diraar of Celia'nor have made me a capable fighter in less traditional ways that Men are used to. Wherever you find use for me, Honorable Lord, I shall serve. Although my ultimate goal and ambition is to serve the good Prince Charles of Alstion himself, to prove myself to one of his most dedicated and loyal vassals is in turn proving myself to his good Kingdom and honorable rule. I hope we can find amidst ourselves a strong relationship of mutual respect and work, and I hope that, together, and alongside your peers and courtiers, we can serve the Kingdom of Aaun, and bring it to glory and might befitting of its origins. 

Per IpsumGloria.

Philip Owyn de Cantal.

As the Margrave rose from his bed in the early hours after the sun had just begun to rise above the horizon, an attendant brought him the letter from the young Cantal. He looked it over with a hint of confusion but a small smile grew upon his visage, he went to his desk and began to write a letter to send back to his brother-in-law.  

To Philip Owyn de Cantal,

It seems you have come at a most perfect time, some would say too perfect. But in your letter you are correct, my wife has yet to ever mention you, but she has confirmed that you are her brother and this is not some farse. From reading this, it seems you've had quite the series of adventures that I look forward to hearing about upon our official meeting in person.

To you offer of service within my lands and to my house as we are kin, we most joyfully accept such a notion, it would be seen as blatant disrespect to turn kin away from our doorstep. You say you wish to ultimately serve our liege, Prince Charles, I am sure I can aid you in that goal as well.

I look forward to our meeting.

CINIS EX SURGITE

pvKSuMAjV5QteidBgnX7hUvkX_xiDj5DjxuHpIFgNr1uJFL5MDGjcQFKw1RC1StfDPCxcbZr1bCQD_AbUEVyl0z8nh8fV64vpyhgxgGarF6kIlAvWObM67rFdHOsjKrFjcCpF9e3kqKcq89lwmRujOQT91T9z-RkssHyfgycgj52oH6hBDNHwcN9iRGahw

The Mont Honorable, Leopold Ulrich von Reuss, Margrave of Velen, Count of Cantal, Baron of Mons Velena, Commander of the Household Guard, Patriarch of the House of Reuss, defender of Velenic Peoples