The Rhun: A Dwarven Philosophy

TheNander

The Rhun: A Dwarven Philosophy

The word Rhun is a word with an interesting meaning in Dwarven writings. It is translated into common as ‘Rune, Word, or Power’. Although the meaning is somewhat lost in translation, some continue to use the word’s old meaning to convey certain philosophical beliefs. If you were to ask a dwarven philosopher to explain Rhun he’d point out to the world. The Rhun is what gives a living being it’s life force. It is an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds and penetrates us, binding our world together.

One may argue that the philosophy of The Rhun is contradictory to the Dwarven religion, where in actuality, it supports it. Yemekar is The Maker. Yemekar is the one who created everything. (Mind blowing imminent) Now what about this: Yemekar is everything. Yemekar is The Rhun. (Mind. Blown.) Yemekar has created us, but it is his essence that gives our world its being.

This philosophy can also be used as a theory for many sources of energy. Redstone for example, is “dead” when you sprinkle it on the ground, but awakens when a “source” is placed next to it. Now why does a stick with some of this material on it seem to produce some form of power giving the redstone dust “life”. This is The Rhun at work. The Rhun is being channeled and concentrated at a focal point, thus giving power to objects nearby. The dust doesn't have a high enough concentration of The Rhun to give it power on its own. It needs to be near one of these focal points to channel the power of The Rhun.

Writer's Note: Hopefully you've enjoyed the lore and may have some suggestions for possible additions or changes to my lore so I can improve on it. The lore was originally created as a philosophy for redstone because having things work "Just 'cause" didn't work for me. I do plan to use this in RP for use with The Dwarven Engineering Guild which could hopefully spread as an accepted theory for redstone. As you may be able to tell this piece of lore was inspired by the beliefs of the Pre-Socratic philosopher Heraclitus, the Bible verse John 1:1 from the New Testament, as well as some philosophy from Star Wars.

I am your first convert.

Thanks. I felt really good about this theory and it seems to make more sense than those I've heard OOC.

The Rhun sounds pretty awesome.....

I am currently trying to get the dwarves to conclude RP encounters with "May the Rhun be with you" and "And also with you."

"An' interestin' theory kinsman. Ah'll be moniterin' it's success through t'e mountain-homes. 

(if we can supply enough frivolous redstone, and make redstone torches into a religious symbol, this could work really well in RP.)

"An' interestin' theory kinsman. Ah'll be moniterin' it's success through t'e mountain-homes. 

(if we can supply enough frivolous redstone, and make redstone torches into a religious symbol, this could work really well in RP.)

((YES.))

Wonderful, yes...! Very good...

I am quivering with excitement. This is a grand idea that should certainly be implemented.

I like it. Well done Nander. May the Rhune be with you!

Is this just a philosophy? If so I can move it to Implemented immediately because philosophies don't require acceptance.

I like it. Well done Nander. May the Rhune be with you!

"And also with you."

Is this just a philosophy? If so I can move it to Implemented immediately because philosophies don't require acceptance.

Yes it is. I just got the OK from the Archbishop so I don't get literally burned at the stake in RP. May the Rhun be with you, Lago.