THE NEW HAENSE; A Speaker's Memoir

Eryane

pue4pIhJwV1H0nIdgtrYbr9kyYUg9T1LWPm4RfIrQaRxGPkJpp4o6W8uxZl8tH8obYHmnk7r4VFvgTsIJCNiRd9fdmgxebX_5KT9e293xc_YuBrLOouRvNJCAdQiAcJlJwACeof9

THE NEW HAENSE

A brief memoir penned at the hand of the Lady Speaker, Irene Cecilya Sarkozy, 362 E.S.

It is to the denial of none that the dual monarchy of Hanseti and Ruska has been thrust into a time of great change and, to some, even greater turmoil with the passing of the late King Josef I and the troubles surrounding the issues of the Church. Many of my fellow statesmen within the Aulic Council have stepped down from their position to allow for stagnancy to not plague us any longer and instead for the new generation of councillors to advise our new king, and assist in leading our great nation. With this final memoir, I too intend to resign from the position as Lady Herzen, the Lady Speaker of the Royal Duma, and henceforth conclude my tenure. 

As a historian and statesman of declining age, never before have I seen such substantial shifts in our kingdom during so minimal of a time span. Since the 11th of Msitza ag Dargund 339 ES with the Edict of Separation enacted by HIM Joseph II and HIM the late Empress Anne I, Haense has seen a flourish in new cultural aspects ranging from the increase of the usage of our national language, Naumariav, in daily speech to the new, colorful attire betwixt nobles and commoners alike. In the grand scheme of the historical timeline, these minimalist aspects of culture may appear as extraneous to take note of, but the Haeseni garb, or the more common fluency in Naumariav, plays a fundamental role in what collectively defines us. Our strong culture has been hailed throughout the lands for generations before and generations to come; a vast culture with constant growing expansions that flourish in the modern time. 

Our core values still remain in the foundations of Biharism yet have since shifted with a growth in an overall sense of individualism, as I have witnessed in the recent bills implemented into the kingdom’s lawbook (more recently an attempt to define a subject’s individual rights), or the Haurul Caezk. In a simultaneous order, the individualistic and nationalistic values (although concepts both structurally appearing to be often in opposition of one another) have risen in the past decades since 339 ES. The value of the individual life is seen as important as the whole, and the faith and patriotism embellished in our nation is entirely undeniable; all of which can be subsequently correlated to the simple saying of Krusae Zwy Kongzem, or ‘to protect this kingdom’. 

However, I furthermore wish to address the fear in our culture of the Haeseni people since our independence from the Holy Orenian Empire, a matter that I believe dawns on us all but lacks in addressment besides passing whispers. Why does this pertain to the royal duma, might you ask? Even amidst the duma hall, there was once fear of being, to quote, ‘too Orenian’. We worry too often of our comparison to the empire that we used to be under. We worry inanely whether the way we dress is too lenient towards their ways, the way we speak or hold ourselves is too akin to their mannerisms, or if the way we conduct various governmental affairs is too similar to their ideals. We can be our own people without outright disallowing all minimal aspects of their culture. I urge each citizen under the Kingdom of Hanseti-Ruska to no longer fret over incessant rivalries and competitiveness, but allow us as an independent kingdom to devise our own culture in the current age. We stand independent as a new Haense, now let us do so in all facets including the unease of one’s own mind. 

I must conclude with brief reflection of the legislative prowess I have witnessed from the duma members this past decade. Forty-nine bills were drafted and over thirty bills passed through the duma in my twelve-year tenure as the Lady Speaker; a productivity I applaud all elected officials and members of the peerage (as well as their representatives in absence) for, and can only long for such sheer proficiency be pursued succeeding my leave of office with my successor in which I entrust full faith therein; that being the three-term Tribune and newly-elected Lord Handler Igor Kort. Now, as it stands, seventeen members participate in the duma, with the elections every four years booming with candidacies for the eight elected positions (three aldermen, four tribunes, and a maer with their seat returned). ‘I would have perished had I not persisted’ remains true to the duma hall in all aspects, even with questions of the duma’s relevance and significance in modern time being brought into question. The legislative body, our Royal Duma, composed of the nobility and commoners of Hanseti-Ruska are one, resonating voice that will always demand to be heard: the voice of the Haeseni people in the new Haense. 

Dlum ve Edlervik, Druz ve Edlervik

Krusae Zwy Kongzem ag Spasiba va ve Edlervik,

Lady Irene Cecilya Sarkozy

Edited by Eryane

“We met as equals, my dear Irene, but now you have become the type of person, the type of public servant, I so aspire to be. You have served your people well, and for it you ought to be proud,” Franz remarks of his wife as he reads over her memoir, the admiration in his voice evident.

Somewhere in his office, Igor would receive the news of his mentors retirement. After taking a moment to read the memoir, there is another knock to his door. A second letter from the King himself arrives. One that would forever change his life. It was determined that he was to be appointed as Lady Irene's successor. As Igor took a moment to recollect himself, he sent a letter back to the King accepting the position. It was out with the old, and in with the new...

As Heinrik Karl found the resignation laying on his desk, after a night of heavy drinking and dancing ruskan polka, he stood still for a while. "It's so hard to find competent people. Luckily she was one of them." he signed the resignation before adding "Out with the old, in with the new.", he added in a hushed tone under his breath.