The Elf and the Two Wolves

Amaesil sat in the open field atop the mountain beside the mountain lake. He watched the clouds roll overhead as thoughts of war and violence consumed his mind. Hours passed before he pulled himself from his trance. He would stand slowly and look out across the woodland canopy to see the large statues of Amaethea. The wind blew his long, red hair backward and ruffled his elven robes. Eventually, he withdrew his journal and a small stick of charcoal. He would scribble something down and read aloud to himself:

"The Elf... and the Two Wolves. A tale to guide us through the flames of wrath at our doorstep."

Amaesil smiled softly. He continued to write...

divider2.png

THE ELF AND THE TWO WOLVES

A short story by Amaesil of Elvenesse

Long ago, an elf stood at a crossroads.

This elf went by the name of Salum, and he was entrusted to lead his people through a dark and treacherous wood. Before he would see his fellowship through, he would find the path most befitting them. He wandered into the woods.

Early in his trek, Salum came upon a clearing where two wolves fought: one of pure white and one of black onyx. The elf charged forward and ended their battle. The two wolves calmed and introduced themselves.

“I am Hileia,” the white wolf greeted. “In your tongue, my name means ‘peace’. In thanks, I will bring peace to you and your kin at the end of your journey.”

“I am Haler,” the black wolf said. “In your tongue, my name means ‘promise’. In thanks, I will promise to lead you safely out of the woods.”

Salum thanked both wolves and he renewed his march with both as companions. As they walked, Hileia told Salum stories of the treachery of his wolf-kin. As his namesake suggested, the white wolf spoke of peace and safety at the end of their journey through the woods. Haler, on the other hand, was quiet. The black wolf hunted small game and showed the elf wonderful sights and vistas as they walked. Haler kept the elf on-track and his belly full. Eventually, the three companions arrived at the crossroads — two diverging paths. Salum was stumped and looked to his friends for help.

“To the left,” Hileia said. “Peace awaits us on the left.”

“To the right,” Haler said — his first words since the journey began. “I promised to lead you out of the woods, and the woods end this direction.”

Salum pondered this dilemma for only a moment before smiling. “I will go to the right.”

“What?” Hileia growled in a rage. “You forgo peace based on his word over mine?”

Salum shook his head and spoke thusly: “You are a wolf, Hileia. You would have me go left and wander these woods beside you for eternity in peace; however, you will eventually turn hungry and devour me. You will bring me peace until it suits you. Haler will fulfill his promise and lead me out of the woods. He has helped me throughout our journey and has gained my trust. I do not fear either of you, but my trust was earned by only one.”

“You fool!” The white wolf suddenly changed forms like fire burning across parchment to reveal a red fox. “I am Vull. In your tongue, my name means ‘trick’. My belly grows empty and I will kill you and your people if you do not fear me and walk the path of peace!”

Salum shook his head once more. “You are mistaken. I have chosen loyalty and aid over the threats of war in the absence of peace, Vull. There are now two of us and one of you.” With that, Salum and Haler slew the violent beast. The elf and black wolf then walked the right path and came to the edge of the woods. Salum’s people would walk in true peace now that the true threat was vanquished.

Edited by The Media Wizard

The keeper would read the story, a slight smile forming on his face "Fairly wise allegory for these harsh times, especially from one so young."