A CHALLENGE TO JUSTICE

After one of Skana's sisters reads him the letter of the Lioness, he duly folded it up and carried up the cliffside to the shrine of Nemglan. He threw the paper into the sacrificial brazier. He then gazed upwards at the amber eyes of his patron, and spoke quietly. (He can perhaps be heard by those who frequent the Shrine, such as those in the nearby Sirame Hall, or the Tahorrans.

"Great Eagle Spirit. Today you have shown me a grim truth. As a boy living among the River Eagles, I was fed story upon story of the grand purpose of the druids. How they were infallible guardians of our forests. That each one would never falter in their duty to protect the wild and its balance. Growing up, I was told the ancient tale of Garthon Morncalaq, the Archdraoi who tapped into a vile and ancient power to seize control over nature, seal away our beloved Green Dragon, and throw the world into imbalance. My grandmother told me- 'a man like Garthon will rise again. But the Druids will stop him. The Druids will restore the balance."

What a grand and intoxicating lie that was!

Today I watched an entire coven of warrior-druids do nothing as a modern-day Garthon, known fittingly as the Viper, stood before them all and spoke proudly about how he intended to shackle the Mani Spirits to his will. To do his bidding. To feed his power. I was in disbelief. Such as the ancient Archdraoi Garthon once stood before our ancestors, speaking of his plan to usurp our beloved Taynei'hiylu and seal her into the earth, here stood a man with more or less the same ambition!

And who spoke out against this horror? Did the venerable Ichor Druid or Lioness Druid act against this ancient trauma of our people come to life? No. Surely, a man who seeks nothing less than utter domination over the natural world and its spirits would be the very thing the proud Ichorian lives to fight against. But instead of fulfilling their duty, who did they choose to raise their arms against?

The warrior who dared to call out evil for what it was.

When I was small, I was told stories of Garthon's great war. I was told that while many of our ancient ancestors remained true to the Great Prophet Taynei, many more of our ancient kin fought alongside the Archdraoi in his goal to subjugate the Aspects' domain under his complete domination. As a naive child, I wondered why our kin would ever side with such an evil man. But now I understand. I see how raw anger, aggression and touchiness can blind to true threats of nature. If Garthon were alive today, surely he would find no trouble at all wooing the Ichor Druid and the Lioness to his side.

I did indeed speak out of turn. I, a dedicant, acted with disrespect at a Moot. And for this, I was punished by the maiming of my eye. I thank you for this lesson, for it has taught me much about the Druids. For example, to them, a young man offending their touchy honour by speaking out of turn was a larger priority than the sorcerer who openly admitted he intended to enslave the sacred Children of the Aspects into his personal conduits of power. He was treated as a friend. I, an infestation to be rid of.

Great Eagle Spirit. I hope you have made me suffer today as a way to test my faith, and not compel me to abandon it. I admit, my devotion wavers. How can I stay true to the Aspects when I have seen nothing but pettiness, cruelty and bloodlust from their most esteemed servants? I suppose the old adage is true... 'never meet your heroes'."

Skana drew his ivory knife and placed it to his left palm, closing his eyes he made a shallow cut across his flesh, allowing the blood to seep into the sacrificial fire below.

"Great Eagle Spirit, I give you my essense. And in doing so, put my life in your hands. If I am truly wrong for having spoken out against the Viper and those complicit in his schemes, then send me to my death. If I am correct in my disillusionment that all Druids are petty and self-serving, then send me a sign that I should sever my ties to this wild faith. If I should hold out hope, that there are yet still Druids who stay true to their duties in the face of chaos and imbalance..."

Skana trailed off, glancing up at the starry night above. He leaned against the brazier and closed his good eye tiredly, falling asleep under the open sky, under the looming shadow of the wings of Nemglan.

Edited by linzexu

[!] Leyrei the small sparrow was sent personally to Quillian, with a note with her. Once arrived she would drop the note at her feet and leave. The note reading:

"Quillian, I am personally sorry for what had happened, but, this is not right. I left this path because you dislike our mani, and I could never give up my worships to those messenger gods. Two, you dare hurt my brother with your little ichorians, and not yourself. Hurting the man while being hit from behind is being dirty, that is no honor. I see this duel as complete nonsense when you already did enough to him. You already took away his damn eyesight, is there any use to keep going at this?

I left this for the sake of my family and beliefs. I seek that I will not go against your beliefs, but do know, I will never forgive you for what you have done to my family. We already have enough dishonor in our city, we don't need more from the people who hurt others when they are helpless. So, if you are to come and duel my brother Skana, I am going to stand next to him once more, so he does not fight alone"

A Final Response is jammed for Notice to the Tahorrans

"I, Hareven Lorenthus, Brother Bluejay, Herald of the Sage Way, Hierophant of the Mother, Priest of Bolomormma, will mediate discussions between Skana Tahorran and Quillian plus any other parties offended by the behavior portrayed during the moot."

"This need not go on further than it should, when greater things brew in our futures. I will see you all in the coming elven hours."

The young fox becomes privy to the situation after reading through many of the open letters and public declarations. He frowns as he sits in contemplative silence near the Flame of Malin. The elf folds his calloused hands behind his back and peers across the farmlands toward the main road of Elvenesse. It is there that he sees Skana ap Tahorran pass by during the evening.

Amaesil watches the young wood elf move across the roadway before disappearing toward the central square. For a moment, his feet threaten to give chase — a desire to bestow wisdom upon the boy; however, he does not move. The elf looks toward the Flame of Malin once again and a huff escapes his lips.

"Peace in our time..." the elf mutters with a sigh. "Aspects above and Mani among us, give me patience. For if you give me strength, I'll backhand the lot of them."

Nemir makes sand castles on an Atherian beachside, but a wave destroys her work.  "****!"