The story of the Hero mouse Barnaby: Broken and Alone

Requiem

The lone mouse limped onwards towards Yong Ping, narrowly escaping the clutches of those who had attacked the unarmed Musin only recently. Time began a blur to the pain of his broken ankle, obtained during his flight from his attackers. Yet as he walked he happened upon the beauty of a bamboo forest, a small respite from the hardships faced before.

Onwards he walked towards the gates of the Oyashima, a lone guard manning the entrance. Barnaby stopped hesitantly, having only negative encounters thus far with the giants. Taking a deep breath, his resolve moved him forth to the gate.

"Are you quite alright there?" The gatekeeper asked to the limping Musin. 

"
I search for my people, are there any others like me here?" One of Barnaby's ears quipped up hopefully.

The guard gave a shake of his head. "I am afraid not, do you not seek entry then?"

The lone Musin gave a depressed sigh, giving only a small shake of his head in response before setting out once more onto the roads.

Seeing few other options Barnaby snuck onto a nearby canoe, having heard tell of there being other Musin near Talons Port. Setting off without any possessions a storm bore down upon the unlucky mouse, thunder cracking overhead as waves beat against his small raft. Desperately, Barnaby gripped the side of the boat but it was to be in vain as a large wave crashed against his only transport, throwing him into the cold sea.

Barnaby gasped for air, his face planted firmly into the salty mud of the jungle. He let out a pained squeak at his broken ankle, his black fur greatly dirtied by his situation. Rising to stand painfully he limped forth, seeing the walls of Talons off in the distance he stumbled forward, whimpering with each step. 

"You can do this Barnaby." the mouse reassured to himself. "I am Musin!" he declared proudly as he continued onward to the city. To his dismay however the gate remained locked shut and no one answered his cries. Scared and destitute he made his way to a nearby bush housing the hopefully former burrow of some unknown animal. 

"I won't give up. . ." He murmured to himself, his fur coat now thoroughly matted in mud, filth and hefty dose of seawater. "Think of what the great Musin would do." he tried in vain to remain optimistic as he slowly drifted off into restless sleep.