A Thesis on Devout Life

simatra

A Thesis on Devout Life

Written by Acolyte Felix

Life that is lived for GOD is by all means lived with the right intentions. The living of life under the teachings of The Scrolls can be done in many fashions, all with their contributions to the church. The greater goal of all should be to live the life that their reading of the scrolls sets out for them. A lowly peasant with nothing could be just as great a monastic worshiper as a noble giving up all they have. A warrior who struggles not to make the sin of giving in to wrath could turn their blade to hunting abominations, patrolling roads, or being a holy warrior serving the clergy. Even a non descendant, who believes the teachings, could try to spread the word and serve in any way they can, forsaking their heritage. All can live a devout life, it is only that there is no one way, as the scrolls are for everyone, and GOD is forgiving of those who may not be able to serve the same as another. 

Of all the paths set out in the scrolls, the one that spoke most to me as fulfilling the most of what is asked for us, is the life of the monastic and selfless. To dedicate your life to having little, and helping others provides the most opportunity for others to thrive. And, as you let others live a life to reach GOD, you are therefore doing the most you can for him. In this lifestyle, you avoid wrath, as you live to benefit others, you avoid all gluttony, greed, and lust as you are living a monastic life, and as you avoid those sins, you also surpass trying not to sin, with your demonstrations of dedication to GOD showing how humbled you see yourself as next to him. Although, if everyone were to live a life like this, then it would be a waste, and we could not thrive, so this style can only exist thanks to the sacrifice of others that live differently, to create this opportunity, as we are never great by ourselves, we need our fellow man and GOD for true greatness. He who would reach heaven alone does not deserve it, for he has not been able to guide others with the path he blazes forth. 

A passage from the holy scrolls that I feel greatly helps represent this is, “...in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not be idle, nor forget your duties in favor of sloth. (Virtue 4:8)” This is a great reminder of the dedication needed, so the dedication needed to willingly live a life of hardship and selflessness is a way to directly do as was asked of us. Most importantly with this lifestyle, however, is to truly live a humble life. If you offer all you can, then accept less, such as giving another a carpet to sit on and sitting yourself on the floor, giving them your soup so that you may eat stale bread, you may speak of it, but not gloat, for “...in pursuit of My Virtue, I bid my faithful this: You shall not be idle, nor forget your duties in favor of sloth. (Virtue 7:8)” This shows us the hardest aspect of this lifestyle, feeling humble about living humbly, so it is important to suffer in silence. If you give someone else your coat so that you may be drenched in the rain in their stead, you need not beg thanks, or mention it for praise. 

We should all seek to live a devout life, in whatever path that we may most greatly serve in. Whether that be turning your skill to use for the church, or giving up your wealth to live humbly, there is something to be done. It is most important to live for GOD, and I would gladly offer my appreciation to all who live such a truly noble life. 

Viktor, Cardinal Nescia, reads through the Acolyte's thesis, nodding his head "I shall have to meet with this Acolyte for some discussion and further teaching, but it seems we have a fine new Priest on our hands."

Caius Tiberius de Ravenburg would smile "My Son is on a good Path" he'd note to himself