Letter to Cardinal Callahan

satinkira

Dear Celach,

I have pondered, and thought, and prayed. I am on an extended pilgramige that I hope to return from soon, but I thought to send you the conclusions of my prayers prior to my return.

To put it simply: The Living Waters and the Glowing Lorraine are, in my view, Holy sites, undeniably places of miracle, and though the current Pontiff may insult them, I do not see why this need give me pause. You were mistaken in your earlier conclusion, when you stated that I 'needed his authority and permission' to conclude my task; I do not. It is not a question of whether he will come to my side, but rather if he will come willingly, or, as so many are in our good faith, he will have to be dragged and made to see the folly of his doubts. I would rather the latter need not come to pass, of course; he is the Pontiff, the Vicar of man, and I will always hold him in great esteem and have all the respect in the world for him. I do not blame him for his doubts. I scarcely believe it myself - a half-elf, given instructions by the GOD? It is incredibly improbable, not impossible, but extremely unlikely. And I do not cast doubt on what I have seen and heard, what you have seen and heard, but rather I understand now that I must show appreciation and sympathy for the doubts and fears of men. I was too quick, in my conversation with him, and I did not use the right words; it is not me wielding the power of miracles, but rather, Him, and I should have made such clear from the beginning. I should have made clear, too, that I did not think myself a Prophet. But I fear to face him - I do not want to be stoned to death, as he has threatened me with.

Therefore, for now, I have concluded that I must continue my efforts prior to my speaking again with the Pontiff, and prior to my joining the Church. We put the cart before the horse - we must build the Stone Chapel prior to my joining the Church, else they will never accept the truth; we must show it to them - we must make them see. I am already working on such, and will inform you when the humble building is built.

But I fear, though, that Caius I may do as he threatened, to 'blow it down', and I therefore am of the opinion that it must be kept a secret from him, else he will surely destroy it, as he has said he will - and what a terrible thing, for that Holy site to be torn down by a Pontiff. That would leave an intolerable blemish on the earth, and forever turn my opinion of him, which would be a terrible shame. You know why. I readily admit that I was somewhat overly zealous in my first meeting with him; I forgot, as I have done before, that men are men, and that these matters must be taken slowly.

I hope you are keeping well, and I hope your leprosy has improved. I have been unable to do good on my promise of curing it due to this journey, but the pilgramige is vital, I feel. 

- Serwa

Spoiler

This letter can only be read by @Fleeperpriest.