[✗] Truth Serum/Potion

Treaty

Hello! In some events I have been experimenting with the effects of some alchemy ingredients, and have figured out a very useful potion that could be made in rp. I have been experimenting with a Truth Serum/Potion that would make the person tell you anything without them being able to lie, or not answer in any way. The way this works is that I combine ingredients (Listed Below), and then give the person the potion. The side effects of this potion are that the person can only answer 3 questions before the effects wear off. The other thing, which will be very interesting, Is that to understand what the person is saying, you have to drink the potion also, leaving you vulnerable to questioning as well. Another thing to be wary of while consuming the potion is that by taking too much can at times kill the person, so you need to make sure you use proper doses safe for the person to consume.

The way the Serum works on the two people is that when the mind is calmed down, words are harder to concentrate on, making them slurred and hard to understand. But, if someone else were under the same conditions, then when their brain is at that calmed state, they would be able to understand those words.

Ingredients:

-Alabaster Leaf:  Used to Immobilize the person, leaving him unable to do anything to stop the effects of the potion

-Starved Coyotes Tick: Used to make a better connection to the person’s mind, making them vulnerable to the questions

Desert Berry Bush: Used to overwhelm the person’s mind, making his mind unable to try and lie or fight off the effects of the potion

Blissfoil: Used to calm the mind, making it easier to gain the information needed from the person. Blissfoil is used usually on muscles, but, the brain is a large muscle, making the use the same.

Thank you for the kind consideration for this potion, and I believe that this would make a very interesting aspect to alchemy. Some people may think there is a way this is “powergaming” of sorts, but because of the limited questions and how both of you are able to question each other, there would be no powergaming problem. I am considering this to be an appropriate potion to make in rp, but the recipe will need to be known to make the potion itself. If this potion is to be made into a mechanical potion, that could be used also.

Seems like an interesting idea, though I don't see how a potion can force someone to tell the truth I think that would be something to do with magic.  Also, no one can get I think two of these herbs on the list (Starved  Coyotes Tick and Desert Berry Bush).

29 minutes ago, Cole Treaty said:

Blissfoil is used usually on muscles, but, the brain is a large muscle, making the use the same.

I don't think that's how it works....................

There's already the Annabella dwarven rune, but I guess this is cool too

I don't like the idea of magical honesty at all really. In a black and white scenario I guess it could work, but there are way too many real-world situations where you could be considered lying by one person and not lying by another. When you then add in the OOC element that this requires in order to work properly, it makes things very messy.

If you want the truth get a mental mage, I don't think alchemy would have the full on ability to make someone not hold their tongue. In fact the regents you mentioned might caused a lot of other negative effects as well.

Alchemy has a specific purpose. This is not one of them.

It also get's exponentially worse when you consider that there is no control on alchemy.

No thank you, we already have multiple other means of getting the truth from people. Also, the brain is not a muscle. It is literally a lump of fat.

For everyone saying this is a bad idea because there is a magic that can do this, magic isnt the only part of roleplay. There are different parts, and if you want to get something done, magic isnt something you should rely on. Im making this item because it would add onto rp instead of having to bring in magic for every. single. problem.

The difference is that said roleplay goes beyond  *drinks potion, tells truth*

This isn't needed, on top of the post being vague and poorly explained. If you took more time and effort to flesh out this idea then you'd be getting somewhere. As things stand, this is barely a lore post.

-The effects are arbitrary at best, no proper explanation is given as to why said effects work this way. Why only 3 questions? Do the chemicals from the potion magically know when 3 questions have been asked to stop their effect?

-You say Alabaster leaf is an ingredient that has the purpose of paralyzing the victim so they can't counter the effects of the potion. If they already drank the potion however, what could they possibly do at that point?

-Blissfoil doesn't work that way, and the brain is most definitely not a muscle. I suggest doing proper research before making a lore post.

-Starved Coyote's tick? Desert berry? What? How could that possibly be an ingredient for a truth serum? We have a ton of herb lore, make use of that instead of making things up with no logic.

-You give no means through which this recipe can be discovered in roleplay.

On top of all this, Alchemy RP is not regulated in any way for the most part, adding such powerful things will only allow for more powergaming to happen.

Sorry to say this, but this is pretty half assed. Take a brief look at any accepted lore post and you'll realize how severely lacking yours is. I don't mean to discourage you, but this needs a lot of work before it can even be considered.

To be honest, not everyone wants to be a spell flinger or get one, and mages could work on their own agendas too, so in the end they aren't reliable either in an RPG sense.

Also Jax, Alchemy could be used for something like this, albeit not using the ingredients since everyone here has some idea on those pieces of lore.

Alchemy is a form of science that uses equations and regents.

If an Alchemist can alter someone in a way that they heal their wounds, akin to a Health potion, and harden their skin, aka. a Stone Skin potion, what makes it so hard to believe that nothing can affect the mind? A potion that affects your blood cells and harden your skin in such a fast manner that they activate instantly is more far fetched than a potion that can alter a brain's hormones or whatever goes on up there.

A potion that can literally control someone is more scientific and more closely related than a potion that can harden your skin to where when a knife cuts you all it leaves is a paper cut. This server is a fantasy server, a server where we have people who can fling spells from their fingers tips, drink potions that can let you see in the dark, and fight orcs who killed and ate your parents.

You should be able to make a potion that can literally mind control someone and it should be accepted, albeit, with proper lore and ingredients and how to make it. If someone can addicted to beer, coffee, shakes, or whatever, it deals with your brain because of dopamine. An Alchemist could literally make someone a zombie if they wanted to, so what makes it so that a truth serum is so far off? Yes, it requires both people to RP it, and yes, it may not always work, but the question is, why not? Why can't we have this? Simply because the OP does not understand the regents? Bah! Someone else who better understands the plant lore could make it, hell, probably even make new plants that would help in this area too.

Not everyone wants to go to or be a mage, sometimes people want to be a mad scientist, and alchemy could do that if you let it.

Let this idea into your hearts, and improve upon what this man has said.

An idea like this can be powergamed, but so can magic as well and any other function too, but there is a system for that, and it's called blacklists. If you think someone is powergaming, report it after talking with the person you think is powergaming. Conversation is key.

2 hours ago, KarmaDelta said:

To be honest, not everyone wants to be a spell flinger or get one, and mages could work on their own agendas too, so in the end they aren't reliable either in an RPG sense.

Also Jax, Alchemy could be used for something like this, albeit not using the ingredients since everyone here has some idea on those pieces of lore.

Alchemy is a form of science that uses equations and regents.

If an Alchemist can alter someone in a way that they heal their wounds, akin to a Health potion, and harden their skin, aka. a Stone Skin potion, what makes it so hard to believe that nothing can affect the mind? A potion that affects your blood cells and harden your skin in such a fast manner that they activate instantly is more far fetched than a potion that can alter a brain's hormones or whatever goes on up there.

A potion that can literally control someone is more scientific and more closely related than a potion that can harden your skin to where when a knife cuts you all it leaves is a paper cut. This server is a fantasy server, a server where we have people who can fling spells from their fingers tips, drink potions that can let you see in the dark, and fight orcs who killed and ate your parents.

You should be able to make a potion that can literally mind control someone and it should be accepted, albeit, with proper lore and ingredients and how to make it. If someone can addicted to beer, coffee, shakes, or whatever, it deals with your brain because of dopamine. An Alchemist could literally make someone a zombie if they wanted to, so what makes it so that a truth serum is so far off? Yes, it requires both people to RP it, and yes, it may not always work, but the question is, why not? Why can't we have this? Simply because the OP does not understand the regents? Bah! Someone else who better understands the plant lore could make it, hell, probably even make new plants that would help in this area too.

Not everyone wants to go to or be a mage, sometimes people want to be a mad scientist, and alchemy could do that if you let it.

Let this idea into your hearts, and improve upon what this man has said.

An idea like this can be powergamed, but so can magic as well and any other function too, but there is a system for that, and it's called blacklists. If you think someone is powergaming, report it after talking with the person you think is powergaming. Conversation is key.

The issue? This is making someone do something. Alchemy has never done such.

Alchemy is not controlled, which is likely the greatest issue.

And just a note, is that you shouldn't list the regents. Instead list the tier, what element, and what they represent. Anything can be used for alchemy.

10 minutes ago, ShameJax said:

The issue? This is making someone do something. Alchemy has never done such.

Alchemy is not controlled, which is likely the greatest issue.

And just a note, is that you shouldn't list the regents. Instead list the tier, what element, and what they represent. Anything can be used for alchemy.

Then do something about the control then.

Magic and villainy are structured to a degree, so why can't this? Is there no effort?

And Alchemy can do such if you want it to. Having RP like that can be fun. Magic can do it to a degree, so why can't this?

Just now, KarmaDelta said:

Then do something about the control then.

Magic and villainy are structured to a degree, so why can't this? Is there no effort?

And Alchemy can do such if you want it to. Having RP like that can be fun. Magic can do it to a degree, so why can't this?

Reeeeeee

No, no alchemy that is known is able to mess with the brain.

And I've suggested alchemy apps, to no avail.