Basic Information

Race: Human (Heartlander)

Height: 6"3

Weight: 180 lbs

Body Type: Lean, well toned

Eyes: Blue

Hair: Dark brown

Health: Sound

Personality: Greedy, but ocasionally kind-hearted. He criticizes in others what he himself does, his hypocrisy deeply rooted in his good upbringing.

Life Style

Deity: God

Religion: Church of the Canon

Nation: Kingdom of Marna

Job: Merchant

Title(s): None

Special Skill(s): Linus picked up a bit of swordplay from caravan guards in his long travels, but he is no master.

Flaw(s): Ocasionally Linus finds the closest gutter and digs into a bottle. On these days he is barely functional and cant be expected to have meaningful conversation.

Short Backstory

Spoiler

Life started as the son of a traveling peddler for Linus. His father was not one of the swindling, sordid thieves that stain the countryside in every human kingdom. No, he was a good, loving man who took pleasure in seeing new places and new company, though it was never for more than a few days. Despite all the hardship they went through Levin could never make his profit margin a priority, and occasionally there were days when they slept on an empty stomach on a bed of leaves. The places they visited were villages and small towns on the island of Tahn, most of which went months without seeing any sort of merchant so they were generally well received. Yet it wasnt enough for little Linus. A child needs very little to be happy; a family, a full belly and a home. Linus had half a family, increasingly common days of hunger and no place to call his home. There is a sense of safety, of contentment that one draws from familiarity, and lack of this calming feeling shaped Linus' temperament. Resisting his fathers best attempts at optimism, he grew up to be a surly lad.

Early in his adolescence he started to take things into his own hands. His father wouldnt trade to profit, and Linus couldnt make him see the error of his ways. So he started trading on his own, secretly at first, and discovered a talent for talking that he never expected. With slight exaggerations and quick words he could sell for much greater profits than his father, yet it didnt take the man long to catch up to his sons activities. He had noticed some of his goods going missing every time they go into town, and he knew he didnt make nearly enough for them to have their pouches so full. So father confronted son and they started arguing on a regular basis. Whatever his father claimed, Linus knew they were finally living properly, with decent food in adequate quantity and their clothing at least presentable. Why should they have all the difficulty while the people they traded with sat in their warm homes hoarding their money? So they kept on traveling, Linus now with his own capital and seperate goods and Levin, constantly disapproving of his son.

Nothing could have prepared Linus for his fathers death. In his life of chaos, Levin had been the only constant thing. The places, the people, the landscape were all passing, but Levin had always been there for him. Without his father for an anchor and a guide, Linus was utterly, completely lost. What a common but severe illness took from him in Ryrestead, he could never have again. His only pure, untainted emotion had been his love for his father, and without his saintly presence Linus went on to do the only thing he knew how; trade. He swept through the countryside like a plague, lying, cheating and thieving his way to a proper merchants license and his own caravan. He traveled once again across the land, yet only a few of the roads were familiar. This time around his quest would not unfold in backwater villages, but the grand cities of the Oren Empire. 

Throughout his life Linus made few friends, none lasting long enough to be noteworthy until he managed to scrape his way into the middle class. It was then that he realized how useful knowing people could be, and started mingling with people closer to his new social standing. Yet even then all he could manage were business contacts and flimsy acquiantances. After years of manipulation and utilitarian relationships he simply found it hard to look at another without calculating their worth. So he lived a lonely life in pursuit of wealth, ocasionally seeking the pleasure of paid company.

He has never been devout, despite his fathers best efforts. Most of the places they stayed werent big enough to have a church, so his religious education never progressed very healthily. He has never in his life confessed and sought mercy from the Creator, nor was he always true to the Principles of Canonic faith. Even so, he didn’t forget to pray shortly to Siegmund before opening up shop at a new place, if more out of respect for his father and tradition than faith.

An accomplished merchant at the age of 28, full 7 years after his fathers death, Linus is no longer the bitter child he was, but a witty and intimidating young man with occasional fits of melancholy. He travels, chasing the most lucrative deals even if they brought him to mountains or threatened to drown him in swamps. Even after climbing the social ladder in a way that takes most men a lifetime he feels the need for more. What he might not ever consciously understand is that his wealth is meaningless without his father to share in it.

Edit: Id very much aprreciate it if you veteran players out there could point out any faults in the lore you see.

Edited by Linus Martin

(one nice it was a pretty good read. I usually never show my own backstory though because of my grammar. Buy for a player that was here most of last map which I guess isn't to long but still it all looks good to me other than the bit of being already a 'mid class' and up in society in your backstory as I believe less you've rped that and now are looked at like that in marna then your fine and love it myself as there only a few rp merchants around any more. But ya keep it up and hop you like marna as I have no clue if it's even active this time around on the map or maybe it is I have no honest clue really.)

1 hour ago, DarkElfs said:

-snip-

Thanks for the heads up! I put in Marna in randomly tbh, and nationality is subject to change once I get a better grasp of the Human Kingdoms. 

Glad you liked it tho^^

Edited by Linus Martin

Np, and was good no joke. But I'd suggest if going for a merchant rp then to find tranfig friends or groups that like sell rp items or of the sort a lot. But I'd suggest for human areas would be curon mainly while marna and santiegia (may have spelled wrong) only once every blood moon as there people there once and awhile. Then the crossroads to is a good place that's near the spawn area