Guide to Roleplaying Personal Plots

youlovesocks

I posted this guide a few years back, and thought it should get some more light with the server gaining newer players
How to Roleplay Personal Plots

A Comprehensive Guide

I. An Introduction to Personal Plots

So, you ask. What is a personal plot? What is, in essence, the purpose of this guide? The answer is simple - a personal plot is a plot that is personal to you.

What I mean by that is that a personal plot (usually) isn't a GM coordinated or server wide event. It's created by you and maybe two or three other people. It focuses on your character and is important to them. Common personal plots include avenging a fallen friend, seeking out a master to train you in the way of the sword, or something of that sort. Therefore, this guide is how to set up and run your personal plots so that it's fun not only for you, but the people who find themselves included in your plot.

II. Setting up Your Personal Plot

Ideally, your personal plot should evolve organically, as a result of somebody else's plot or RP. It isn't hard - when something happens to your character, sit back for a moment and ask yourself "What would my character do?". If the answer is anything other than "do nothing and walk away" then congratulations, you have a personal plot!

For example, meet John and Jane. John is an ex Oren Guard whose friend was killed by a group of bandits. Jane is an innocent farm girl who's saving up to buy a house in the big city.

Now, John is on his merry way. He's got a personal plot - a driving motivation for his character. His friend was killed by bandits. What does he want to do? Avenge his friend. So he left the guard and set out. Along the way, he chases the bandits to a farm they've recently raided.

Lo and behold, it's Jane's farm! The bandits came through earlier and ransacked her house, beating her and taking her life savings. What does she want to do? Travel with John of course! Hunt down the bandits and get her money back!

See what John and Jane have done? They've merged their plots! Now they can play off each other's plots, and both will get a more satisfying RP experience out of it. They have successfully set up their personal RPs, and now we can move on.

III. Other's Personal Plots and You. 

So. For the purpose of this section, let's introduce a third character to the previously introduced John and Jane duo. His name is Frank. Frank is a mercenary, a Ranger for hire, and happens to be travelling along the same path as John and Jane. He overhears their trouble and offers his services - for a fee of course.

John and Jane talk it over and accept his offer. Frank is now a Hanger, as we'll call them. His personal plot is not in the picture, but he is now a part of John and Jane's personal plot.

The majority of the time, you will be a Hanger, a Frank. You need to learn to deal with not being the center of attention. 

Because that's the first lesson: It's not all about you. 

Really. It's not. It's not even mostly about you. It's a little about you, yes. And if the person who's personal plot you're hanging onto is a good rper, they'll include you. But this isn't your fight. You are not going to strike the killing blow. You are not going to be the star. You'll be at best the second man. You'll probably only have a bit part. But learn to live with it, because it isn't your plot and nobody likes a spotlight hog. In the final battle, graciously step back and let the hero of this particular story, the John, fight the bad guy. EVEN IF IT MAY NOT FIT WITH YOUR CHARACTER. If your character just HAS to be involved somehow, find a reason to keep them out of it. Have them break their leg, or get trapped in a cage. 

Finally, never be afraid to be the sidekick. Even a bumbling one. Being the comic relief every once and a while is fun. Sure, it might be "cool" to be the antihero badass with the tortured past, but honestly, it's more fun to be the sidekick. People will respect you for it. 

IV. Other People in Your Personal Plot and You

So. Back to John. It's the big climactic battle. Jane is there, doing her thing. Frank and him are plowing through bandits side by side. It's glorious. 

He needs to learn this lesson: It's not all about you.

Ok, so it's mostly about you. This is your plot after all. You've worked hard on it. But like it or not, others have gotten involved now. It isn't just your thing anymore.

And I know I said earlier that in the final battle, the Hanger, the Frank should step down. And for the most part, that's true. But John should always be trying to include him in some way. Doesn't have to be a big way. But it should be enough so Frank feels like he's making a difference - so that Frank is having fun.

Let me tell you a little story. It was a bright sunny morning in Ageis. I was sitting in one of my usual hangout spots with a couple other people, discussing a mutual friend, eating, relaxing. Eventually it was just me and two other guys we met before.

Me and the other guy started having an IC argument over his personal plot, when he launched into a big battle scene that was part of his personal thing. I was excited - it wasn't a real battle, but it was a chance for some fun RP. So me, the main plot guy, and the other guy suited up for battle.

The main guy charges in and of course, is super awesome. Alright, I get that. As I said, it's his plot. This is his shining moment. I'm not criticizing him for that.

Then my character charges in. And nothing happens.

Absolutely nothing.

Basically, I emote charging in, failing with my sword. The main guy (for he is controlling both the main guy and the enemy) emotes me flying back, my attack totally ineffective.

No roll. But I'm cool with that. Remember, never be afraid to play the bumbling sidekick. I pick myself up, dust myself off, and warily circle the main guy (who is still being awesome).

The second guy attacks. His attack is also completely ineffective. Main guy continues to be awesome.

I attack again. I fly back again. At this point I'm kind of getting annoyed. The other guy attacks. It fails. Main guy is still awesome.

See why this is bad? It doesn't give me or the second guy anything to do. We just sat there and watched the main guy be awesome. It was boring.

Don't do that to the people in your plot. Let them have their moments. As long as you give them their fair share and they don't ask for anything more, everyone should have a good time.

This looks pretty nice, good job!

It's easy to treat yourself to the spotlight; when we aren't conscious about our roleplay we get caught up.

The dichotomy of Your Plot and Another's Plot in this guide is a good tool to be conscious and control your urge to play hero. When you can categorize situations like this and recognize a plot that isn't yours to finish it is clearer to you that you should play a more humble role.

Effectively, this is about sacrificing personal glory so that all parties enjoy the event and I approve wholeheartedly. Finally, the point to let your plot arise from natural happenings is great, there are few things more obvious than a forced plot.

I encourage people to read this and let everybody have a good share of the fun.

12 minutes ago, Telanir said:

It's easy to treat yourself to the spotlight; when we aren't conscious about our roleplay we get caught up.

The dichotomy of Your Plot and Another's Plot in this guide is a good tool to be conscious and control your urge to play hero. When you can categorize situations like this and recognize a plot that isn't yours to finish it is clearer to you that you should play a more humble role.

Effectively, this is about sacrificing personal glory so that all parties enjoy the event and I approve wholeheartedly. Finally, the point to let your plot arise from natural happenings is great, there are few things more obvious than a forced plot.

I encourage people to read this and let everybody have a good share of the fun.

There are many in particular who I would send this response to, but I won't to avoid the toxicity I'd get in reply. I'm all for taking a humble role personally, I believe it comes with less risks and deserves commendation in the least. ;^)