Shidoism

Moo_bot

Shidoism

As interpreted by Tianrui Ren

The philosophy of Shidoism rests in the idea of doing one’s best to be morally good and achieve true inner peace through mindfulness. To be good to one another and free of suffering.

The Five Remembrances

I am of the nature to grow old.
There is no way to escape growing old.

I am of the nature to have ill health.
There is no way to escape ill health.

I am of the nature to die.
There is no way to escape death.

All that is dear to me and everyone I love are the nature to change.
There is no way to escape being separated from them.

My actions are my only true belongings.
I cannot escape the consequences of my actions.
My actions are the ground upon which I stand.

Author’s note:
If one looks at the remembrances only as ominous warnings, they will only serve to create more suffering. We must separate ourselves from fear, and be mindful of the nature of our actions.

Practice and Ritual

Meditation is an integral part of Shidoist practice as a method of mindfulness and centering oneself. Though, contrary to what many may think- meditation is not limited to sitting meditation. There is meditation in walking, in doing chores, in listening to the rain. So long as you are present and focusing only on the present, that is meditation.

The ringing of the bell is a way we can center ourselves, breathing in, and out. It brings us to the present. We can feel the air fill our lungs, bringing in life and good energy. And when we exhale, we expel the negativity and tired energy.

Mindfulness is also important when we eat, knowing that we are consuming life to sustain ourselves. We thank the lives that are given so that we may continue, and eat mindfully. One day we will return to the earth to give our energy in turn.

We must be slow to force, and only use violence as an absolute last resort. In culminating a world without suffering, we must strive to seek to understand one another the best we can.

OOC Resources

Shaseki-Shu (“Collection of Stone and Sand”) ZEN FLESH, ZEN BONES

Plum Village App Plum Village: Zen Guided Meditation App

For further questions or additions to the document, message Coffee.exe [BOT]#5456 on Discord or Moo_bot on the forums. This is intended to be a lore-friendly addition to Li-Ren and general Eastern culture on LOTC.

26c4ba00-8bd8-11ea-9aeb-83baaea848f1.gif

Edited by Moo_bot
Update

This is cool lore, I get a samurai feel from it, just saying. But overall very cool.

26 minutes ago, simatra said:

This is cool lore, I get a samurai feel from it, just saying. But overall very cool.

Thanks! And makes sense since Bushido code was heavily based around Zen Buddhism as well as Shinto and Confucian texts.