new player

traius

new to the server, having a lot of fun in the past 2 days

if any of the vets could give me some advice for starting up i would greatly appreciate it, thank u for reading this message, swag

Hi there Traius, 

I'm Excitedly. I've been playing this server since I was a wee middle schooler back in 2012. Now, I am a 21-year-old-man. I am going to give you a bullet list of things I wish people told me when I started out.

• Role-play is about acting out a character, not necessarily about being a phenomenal writer. So take your mistakes in stride and don't give in to the judgement of others. 
  • There will be obnoxious people who are more than a little bit intolerable and malicious. Some people, like anywhere, will attempt to harass, belittle you and tear you down. Don't be afraid to hit the Block tab, and don't be afraid to defend yourself. 
  • Focus less on large successes and more on having an enjoyable time. It can be addicting to feel important and to be relied upon by others, whether you are highly capable or not. It has made empires on here, and broken them as well. 
  • 90% of the time if you don't go around picking fights and try to empathize with other players on here, you will at least be given a fair chance by them to not die in a conflict, or get popped. It tends to be that if you act really belligerent, whiney, or otherwise that tensions grow exacerbated and you may lose items, land, or more. 
  • Be mindful of others' behavior and do what is best for yourself because certainly nobody else will. Don't get caught up in a bad crowd, do what you can to enjoy your time on the server rather than live out a fantasy of some kind. Treat it as a very hands off Minecraft server and you'll be happier than many of us who play more frequently. 
  • Focus on character development, fun dialogue, and exploration. 

Those are my primary recommendations. If you have questions or would like to chat, HMU with my forum inbox. Welcome to the server and I hope you enjoy your time with us here!

If you start feeling drained, bored, or otherwise unhappy with the server, don't be afraid to take a break. It's really easy to get addicted or feel like you have a responsibility to perform by logging in and rping with your group, but you can't throw yourself under the bus and start putting other people's desires before your own. If you need a break, take a break. 

If you're in the middle of rping with someone, and they critique what you're doing or how you're describing something, try not to get offended and upset, but also don't immediately take something to heart. We all have our own roleplaying styles, and it's important to find your own rather than copy pasting someone else's. That being said, sometimes we do make mistakes and we do need to do a better job at describing things better, especially during combat roleplay. Try to take a step back and judge whether or not the criticism is warranted or not, and continue with rp appropriately. 

Above all else, don't let people take advantage of you. Seriously. People will recruit new players as cannon fodder all the time, or they'll target new players and try to convince them to join their settlements in order to increase activity, and it can be difficult to tell someone no. Straight up, if you don't want to join someone's rp group, just don't and tell them no. If they continue to hassle you, get a mod. Now, don't outright ignore roleplay ever, but instead respond appropriately in irp, and maybe add a line in #ooc saying you're not interested in joining.

You'll also find that if you're talented at building, or writing lore, or can teach magic, people may push you to help them with their build, or their lore, or to become their magic teacher (with the latter being most common). The above paragraph falls straight in line with this. You're not entitled to help anyone you don't want to help. Even if you're afraid to be mean, don't be afraid to say no. Being taken advantage of sucks, and eventually it just wears you down until you quit or blow up.

Remember: this is just a Minecraft server, as Worldeater stated. Try not to get too invested in your characters or your rp group or your staff position if you eventually get one. Taking this game too seriously can really **** with your mental health, and I know people who would start crying at the thought of their characters becoming the victims to villainy rp. As an example, I got kicked off the lore team almost a year ago, and I let myself get way way too invested in the position, and I still get pretty depressed over it if I think about it. That's pretty ******* stupid considering this is literally just a Minecraft server for teenagers, but that can happen if you get too attached. 

Be mindful of what you say around people if you start joining lotc's many discords. Joking around with your friends is completely fine, but saying the wrong thing around the wrong people could lead to you accidentally making people uncomfortable. I personally have had a lot of stuff I've said screenshotted and taken out of context to make me look bad. It's easy for people to misunderstand things, and sometimes you have to take a moment to stop and think before you say or do something.

The rumor mill runs amuck on lotc. Just mind your own business and try not to become apart of it. A lot of people talk about **** they don't know anything about just because they want to, and I've found myself guilty of this as well many a time. It's unfortunate.

Make sure you take consideration for other's enjoyment as well as your own. Roleplaying is about crafting a story, not just for yourself, but for everyone you interact with. It's easy to become selfish and focus only on your wants and goals, but be mindful of others' as well. You don't want to be recognized as the player who doesn't care what other people are doing. Roleplay the bad sides of your character, roleplay disadvantages, roleplay getting hurt, roleplay being sad. Be realistic, be immersive. People will remember you roleplaying downsides a lot faster than they'll remember you playing a cool character, and they'll respect you a lot more too. 

Most importantly, and above all else, don't forget that the characters you are interacting with may be fictional, but the people behind them are very much real. It is so, so easy to start seeing the people of lotc as a bunch of ones and zeros behind a screen, and it's really easy to dehumanize them because of it. Really, please try not to do this. We are all human beings here, except @Freja. We all have feelings, and we all have emotions. Be kind and courteous to your fellow player. Too many people on here don't give a **** about this, and they make this community a pretty toxic one.

Just have fun dude, and keep having fun. My discord is AlphaMoist#5682 if you have any questions or need any tips, and I'll try to help you in any way I can. I hope you enjoy your time here my dude.

10 hours ago, Worldeater said:

Role-play is about acting out a character, not necessarily about being a phenomenal writer. So take your mistakes in stride and don't give in to the judgement of others. 

im not new to rp haha, but thank you for the advice

thank u also @AlphaMoistyou are very swag and i appreciate it

5 hours ago, ARCHITECUS said:

EXyx16CXgAEdig_.png

you're talking to a level 60 mafia boss

6 hours ago, ARCHITECUS said:

EXyx16CXgAEdig_.png

This basically sums it up yup