AMA as I Paint or w/e

UnBaed

What's your advice to a new player wanting to create interesting/meaningful/fun interactions or stories IRP?

Conversely, what are some things I should avoid doing IRP that would kill these interactions or stories?

Edited by Synasthima

On 5/26/2021 at 12:21 PM, MissAnneDrey said:

do u have any advice to beginner painters?

who are ur favorite painters

It's healthy to use references in your art, especially live ones.  I highly encourage you do studies of real life images, or even of historical art of the old masters.  Constantly practice and keep up your hard work, don't be afraid of constructive criticism since it can help you in building up your style and skill.

Some of my favorite painters in history are: John Singer Sargent; Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema; and Gaston la Touche

One of my favorite modern artists is Astri Lohne, whose art station is here: https://www.artstation.com/sjursen

I support her on patreon and she has a lovely community of other artists surrounding her, everyone is very kind and welcoming.

On 5/26/2021 at 6:09 PM, Excitedly said:

favorite moment in art history?

I'd say one of my favorite moments was when french art critiques heavily criticized and disapproved a painting titled The Luncheon, or something like that.  It was during the postmodernism era, and the painting depicted two scholarly men in a garden with two nude women.  There was a lot of outcry because of the women being in the presence of such high-classed men, but hardly anyone realized the symbolism of the women's presence in how they were meant to represent the beauty of philosophy, poetry, and art in conversation.

Looking at it in our period, the painting was clearly made in honor of a renaissance piece by Titian (or his daughter, I'm going off the top of my head so my writing may be inaccurate).  The painting made by Titian was of two poets by a well with nude women, yet those women were also to symbolize art and poetry -- it was also all tied in with the colorito aesthetic of the painting, which focused a lot more on the beauty of nature and emotion rather than disegno that focused on displaying mathematical prowess.

TL;DR: Haughty and virgin art critics were too full of themselves to realize the deep and historical symbolism of a chad painter

3 hours ago, Synasthima said:

What's your advice to a new player wanting to create interesting/meaningful/fun interactions or stories IRP?

Conversely, what are some things I should avoid doing IRP that would kill these interactions or stories?

My advice would be to remain mindful of others alongside your presence on the server.  It's important to realize and remember that LotC isn't an RPG game like Skyrim; you're not the main character, no one is - but many make the mistake of trying to be it, and it can ruin the fun of many others.  Either that, or everyone's opinion of that person's RP quality lowers.  Sometimes it can be really fun to help someone else's story progress rather than try to claim glory for just yourself, you never truly know where a story will lead to.  

Perspective is another important thing to keep in mind.  I don't know how in-depth you intend to make your RP, or how much you wish to think out your character's concepts.  But I often try to put myself directly in my character's shoes when they come across something new or important.  For example, let's say my character sees a wizard weaving a spell out of the air.

I know a great deal about the magic OOCly and care very little for it, though the story of my character is something different from me.  She has hardly ever encountered magic before in her life, the most she has heard of it is through stories or of the interactions of others.  Personally, my character is wary of the use of magic because of her faith in Canonism - but to see these arcane symbols taking shape in the air, only to be guided by this magi's hand, it is certainly a mystical sight and something she will likely remember for many years.

Another piece of advice that I would offer is to not be afraid of consequences happening to your character - or for them to be a flawed person.  We can't all be the invincible hero, and often trying to RP as a plot-armored protagonist can lead to stale RP and storylines.  Conflict can drive stories, but conflict can't be found if you're perfect.  Conflict can be anything, to your character being gullible; ignorant of the world's mysteries; short-tempered; a coward; a horrible fighter; someone with an old injury that has weakened their leg; or perhaps they cannot read or write.

I always enjoy seeing people embracing character flaws, they are often fun to interact with.

Wha happun to Nemir :' (

where can I find your commission info

What inspired your alt's name?

33 minutes ago, Zarsies said:

Wha happun to Nemir :' (

where can I find your commission info

What inspired your alt's name?

Nemir has been permanently shelved!  I ended her story when she found the Dragaar Aedrex in Athera, RPly she is still with him and essentially is his servant for whatever tasks.  Was really happy with how I was able to end her story, felt so fitting since she dedicated her life to preserving knowledge.

You need only ask!  Though, right now I've got my commissions closed.  I'm updating my information as soon as I get through my current wait list!  I'll be sure to share it around in the chats I'm in once that's done ;D

My first name was a cool-sounding spell from DnD, but then I changed it to carwylm which is "I love you" in welsh, or something close.  Though in old english, it's sorrow.  I changed my name to that because it was after some dungeon synth music that I liked a lot at the time (and still do tbh... but i only listen to it in the winter) and then I decided to go to imstrawbb because I really like strawberries

thought of another one! whats ur tips to playing a character/good character. (this could go in hand with the rp one but)

Rising from the dead to let you know you're the coolest cat around. Also- how's LoTC life been treating ya?