[✗] [Invention/ Discovery] Omyric Diodes and the Caelum Crystallum

Luxury

Parchment long since yellowed to the passage of time scattered a desk deep within The Halls of Creation while a peculiar hatted Wizard pored over them… Notes from  a bygone era, it seems.

Origins [Written from an in character perspective.]

“Decades now into the study, I am still ever inspired by the Natural elements. The discovery of Magnetus has entered the academic mainstream now but my work is not yet finished. The potential of the very earth beneath us proves again that it’s deeper truths have not yet been intellectually penetrated.

That aside and onto the subject of Evocation; Lightning specifically. The common mage is rather unwieldy with such a fantastic power. I’d never deign to settle for a depthless weapon, as history has presented it. I return to the roots of the natural phenomenon, which many seem to forget once they’ve achieved it’s Voidal replication. A mistake, as there are many inconsistencies. After all, magic wrought by mere Descendants will never perfectly hail a natural element from the Void. Furthermore our Voidal magic ceases once we lose sight of the magic or as our mana depletes. The natural element does linger past the initial strike but the energy is spread fairly rapidly into the air and earth and dissipates rather quickly. A noted similarity is the tendency for Lightning, both natural and Voidal, to seek a path along the nearest mass of conductive metal.

These points are presented to highlight that lightning rods have remained untouched for generations. Metal of earthly origins, skybound lightning and the magnificent interactions of the two. Their function has never been expanded or improved, perhaps requiring a particular insight that none have come into as of yet. Returning to Magnetus again, in exploring the similarities to iron in conductivity, I have found that the Magnetism emitted by the stone seems to disrupt the path of a stream of Voidal Lightning. I theorize that it may be able to do the same with Natural Lightning, but an apparatus is yet required to test this fully. If even a portion of natural Lightning can be intercepted and stored, perhaps it can even be Transfigured. It may yet be a fantasy, but I often dream of what great bouts of Mana are carried upon a bolt of Lightning. This invention will be called the Omyric Diode, and will draw a Natural lightning bolt from a passing storm. The Lightning will be detached near to the base by an inlaid ring of Magnetus fused with a magically receptive gemstone or metal, likewise enchanted to redirect the Mana into a triad of nodes or ‘Diodes’. The overflow of energy will be directed along the rod back into the earth, as I do not anticipate the full capture of this Natural energy, and do anticipate an unfortunate explosion if that were even attempted.”

e2RYhMwc47GlGwoZynD5-Jf9giy_IV6S-3TgwJm5sZEgcgPC3Ny_9J1OJ_kgu2DVYsyjYQAyau6JuF76RXXyvJxYb6vxGDaUsDlCkin8zlx4qM_gIuVT_N_YMIlIjsOW0BTpWvg9

The Omyric Diode

A feat of Voidal and Material ingenuity. This creation is essentially a lightning rod that has been altered in purpose by the spellcraft of a Voidal Artificer to capture and store a portion of the Mana that composes the phenomenon of natural lightning. The rod is fairly ordinary, being composed of a length of common Iron, with a base structure built to guide the remainder of the Lightning strike safely into the earth. A ring of Magnetus must be attached to the rod in order to divert a portion of the incoming energy. This electrical energy is routed to one of three vestibules which cradle a Diode each. The Diodes themselves are detachable spheres of fused Mage Gold and Focus Crystal that fill with Mana upon the successful interception of a Lightning Bolt during a storm, requiring a successful roll in the presence of an overseeing ST akin to Enchantment creation. These spheres can then be further enchanted themselves, or used in the creation of artifacts.

Roll requirements: [1 to 5: Destruction of Diode], [6 to 15: Damaged Diode], [16-20: Successful Creation].

-This is not an intricate control of Electricity, nor can this lead to any further discoveries with Electricity. It is harvesting natural mana for Artificery related purposes.

-Must be represented by a build that represents each of the elements listed: A 5m tall length of iron (iron fences or iron blocks) which must be grounded, and a ring of Magnetus towards the base of the structure.

-Must be built exposed to the sky, being the tallest structure within fifteen cubic meters.

-One lightning strike will fill three Diodes, requiring a separate roll for all three.

-A critically low roll will destroy a Diode, requiring it to be remade to utilize again. Failed rolls will still count towards the maximum Potent Enchantment per-day limit.

-ST signature required.

-While the Diodes themselves may later be used in Enchantments, the creation process will use up the maximum of three potent enchantments per day.

-Requires the ‘Creation’ spell from the Voidal Artificery feat.

Origins (cont.)

“I believe it is the nature of the scholar to test the interactions of magic, and decipher what the results might mean. How else could I have stumbled into the fruits of combining the Evocations of Earth and Lighting, perhaps the two least likely comrades? Quartz has been my core working mineral since the beginning of my elemental practices- Plentiful, easily collected, and gorgeous to behold. In its characteristic crystal form it is nearly translucent like its refined successor, glass. However something interesting occurs when a current of Lightning is run through the Quartz crystal or a pane of glass. The orderly crystal structure tenses up and constricts, causing the glass or crystal to become entirely opaque. This allows geologists to further define such a mineral as ‘elektrochromic’. This discovery beckoned the creation of glass panes that could be triggered between clear and opaque for privacy means, by the mere activation of a Lightning enchantment. A geologist worth her weight in rocks, leaves no stone unturned in her studies. The natural progression would be to test the inverse. This led to the discovery that adding and releasing tension to and from the quartz crystal produces a small charge of elektrical energy. Presumably, the specific arrangement of the crystal structure with added stress causes a localized effect similar to that observed with friction and heat.

This has all been the prelude to the real discovery. The interaction between Quartz crystal and Magnetus. More accurately, how this interaction can improve an Obelisk.

I recall the introduction of the very first Obelisk to the Fringe Mages Guild. I’ve been in awe of Kalameets discoveries since then. Suffice to say he was my inspiration along my own path into Artificery. Now decades deep, holding the same position of Archmage that he once held, it is only right for me to develop the field with my own studies. Enter the Caelum Crystallum, a device reliant on prior research into Earth and Lightning. The core function of this arcane machine is the production and harvesting of an elektrical charge. We may attain this through the careful manipulation of the interior crystal structure to continually pull the purified Quartz body into an epicenter, causing the necessary tension to create the charge. In small deposits of Quartz, the electrikal effect is meager, while in a larger body of material we may observe a notable effect. The charge is displaced and subtracted from the surface by rings of Magnetus with inlaid diodes, eventually processing the energy into usable mana. This development creates an Obelisk-type device, which needs no Voidal intervention beyond the initial fueling which will become self-sufficient afterwards.

OxpCOdwV21Y8N0RYaUE6pjRq_hx4mHdkIHqULPWcPJ_CRqXg2AQkLrdPzONWNIm6oKYCHJjq9qTkCUz6Si-MDygGamoP1w38tv1xopWpPo3ThlmL1i7J_Jp1Ztl0CdJ0U7Vt7M_O

Caelum Crystallum

An apparatus consisting of a highly purified Quartz Crystal sphere, surrounded by at least two rings of Magnetus with five inlaid Omyric Diodes. The Quartz sphere is sized at approximately 2x2 cubic meters, and is enchanted with the Alter Density spell in creation. The spell pulls the crystal structure inward and in tandem catalyzes a piezoelectric phenomenon. Satellite rings of Magnetus detach the electrical current, routing through iron rods and into Omyric Diodes which harvest mana from the current and continually replenish. To furnish the necessary mana that will power up this creation, four magi must circle with a leading Voidal Artificer.

As the Caelum Crystallum powers up, static electricity may be seen sparking across the surface of the central crystal, occasionally arcing into one of the Magnetus rings. It’s initially transparent structure becomes completely opaque; This indicates the tension of the crystal structure, which in turn catalyzes the electrical charge. Additionally the air about the structure may feel charged with energy.

-A total of five magi must circle for the initial creation, each with a magic at Tier 5 and at least one of which must be a Voidal Artificer with the ‘Creation’ spell. Two Tier 3 or 4 magi may supplant a Tier 5 mage.

-Caelum Crystallum functions with a very niche principle founded upon advanced understanding of specific magical and mundane principles. The creation process must be taught.

-Requires a build representing a 2x2 sphere or block of purified Quartz, two or more orbiting rings of Magnetus, and five Omyric Diodes dispersed throughout the rings.

-The size of the central crystal scales from 2x2, to 3x3, to 4x4 at the largest, each requiring an additional Tier 5 mage to accomplish.

-The radius of effect respectively scales from 5m, to 10m, to 15m.

-Requires ST signing.

-Creation exhausts the user of their Mana for one OOC day.

-May not be moved.

-Destruction of either the rings or the central crystal will render this creation inert. Five strikes from standard attacks, such as melee weapons, or  two strikes from blunt weapons will suffice.

-Exterior electricity is aesthetic, doing no more than delivering a simple buzzing sensation to the hand or making one's hair stand on end.

Function

Natural Arcane Artificery

A mana reserve comparable to the popular Obelisks, this non Voidal prototype has some distinct differences. Most notably this creation deals only in natural mana ever present in the Material realm, harboring no connection to the Void. As such, the Caelum Crystallum may not be used as a point to connect fledgling mages, nor will it create an environment akin to the Voidal Groves. The trade for these losses is the preservation of Material reality.

Charging

The Caelum Crystallum maintains the ability to passively charge Atronachs in its radius without the presence of a Mage.

Natural Mana

Using nature's vast elemental power, mana is harvested from Elektrical charges and shifted in state to become Active mana. This provides a wellspring of arcanic fuel necessary to an Artificer. This mana may be applied passively to any Enchantments within the radius, bar those of a Combative nature, as well as be harnessed for Mart tier creations. Voidal Mages are able to bolster their casting abilities while in the radius of saturated mana, depleting their own reserves twice as slow.

-The Caelum Crystallum causes no detrimental effects to its environment.

-The Caelum Crystallum may have creative and aesthetic enchantments passively within their radius which do not require ST signature. These are wholly disallowed to be combative in nature in any way whatsoever.

-Noncombative casting (Strictly spells that are listed as 'non-combative' are free to use and are unrestricted by emotecounts, without any incurring of exhaustion. (This does not apply to Enchantments.)

-Artifice-related expenses of incurring manaloss (Potent/Grand enchantment, Arcanium crafting, Spellforging (not the use of spellforged spells), etc.) are not refunded, meaning one is still unable to create more even if their reserves are fortified or quickly replenished.

-The Caelum Crystallum fortifies the mana pool of mages within its range, reducing their voidal exhaustion by half.

-A Voidal Mage may not “Recharge” themselves at the Caelum Crystallum. An exhausted voidal mage, or a voidal mage who has expended their mana for some reason (Arcanium forging, enchantment creation, liquid mana creation, etc) may not recharge any quicker here.

-The Caelum Crystallum does not have its effects stack for the purposes of recharging, batteries, and so on. They may justify MArt creation, but may not amplify casting, enchantments, constructs, or so on in any manner.

-Thanhium armour/weaponry within the radius of the Caelum Crystallum does not bear any unique effects. 

-The Caelum Crystallum may not be used as a connection point.

-The effects of the Caelum Crystallum are only effective within it's effective radius (Found in creation). 

-The Caelum Crystallum requires ST Notification (a simple sreq suffices) that it is being destroyed. An ST does not need to actively be present. 

-The Caelum Crystallum has its build requirements strictly outlined, such that it will need to be built within the same parameters every time in order to maintain functionality. There may not be any major changes to it’s design.

-Abjurations yield no effect upon the Caelum Crystallum, however blunt force from solid spells may damage the structure akin to blunt weaponry (see above outlines for Destruction).

-The Caelum Crystallum is considered a lore structure and does not require region owner permission to be destroyed.

Final Thoughts

Call it a reskin or a reflavoring. This type of mana reservoir is less about mechanical differences from its progenitor Obelisk, and more about Cultural and Architectural differences. It is meant to be a non pollutive source for the environment conscious mage, a niche I've been writing into a lot as of late. Overall I had a good bit of fun researching and theorizing how something like this may work in Lotc. I hope you all enjoy the idea.

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/197307-%E2%9C%93-mana-obelisks/

https://wikia.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=The_Mana_Obelisk

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/piezoelectricity.html

https://sciencing.com/use-crystals-generate-electricity-6729045.html

https://www.deviantart.com/wilku1000i1/art/Obelisk-623294599

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/109478-the-notes-of-kalameet-izalith-the-mana-obelisk/

https://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150623-ten-crystals-with-magic-powers

Credits:

FadedQuartz- Conception, Writing

Squak and Johann- Rewrite of the Original Obelisk, Thorough and Concise Redlines

Kalamoot- Inspiration

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.