The TimberWolf Howls

TwilightWolf

"Aerendyl Hawksong for Archdruid."

The words broke him out of his long, daydreaming stare towards the moot with a rather potent shock to his senses. Was that sentence really what Aiden spoke so clearly and confidently? Of course, it was from a nomination card, and it was truly no great feat to read words upon a piece of paper. Yet, it was as if somebody had called out to him nearly accusatorily, as if he should have seen this coming, or at least felt more of a sense of duty for it. His dusky eyes dart around the Moot. The Circle was small in number, but even then their eyes looked expectantly towards him. A deep sense of unease gnawed in his gut.

He must have let a surprised sigh exit his lips at just enough volume for Minto to turn around and offer a smile of encouragement. The hobbit's sense of brotherly bond that glimmered in his small eyes froze the elf-lord's thoughts into a gentle, worried stream.

'Archdruid? Can I even feasibly do that?' he asks himself in thought, looking around his family. They were his family, after all. They did not care for his time in Elvenesse, his troubled journey, yet loved him still the same as a druid among druids. 'Do these people even support me?' he continues internally, before Aiden's voice pierces the silence again.

"Do ye accept this nomination?" the Archdruid muttered. Aerendyl's eyes snap back up to Aiden. That is when the realization hit him: somebody had put his name in that dreaded box, hoping that he would accept. It was a trickle of hope among a quiet, forgotten grove. In that thought, he dips his head and comes to a startling conclusion... Somebody had faith in him. Just like he had had faith in his first teacher, Awaiti, and his second, Emilei. His students had faith in him to guide them down the path of service to the Aspects, a pledge that may very well take their lives. Yet, they still had faith, and he had made a solemn vow to always do the best with what he had. How was now any different?

"...I... yes. I do." the druid finally stammers out. He nods as if to reassure not only himself, but those around him of his certainty. Either way, he would know one way or another if this was some silly joke played upon him. Then, the tallies came in. Aye. Aye. Aye. Abstain. Aye...

Before he even had time to process what great change this would ultimately mean for him, he was at the flank of Aiden and Malii, his sister Archdruid elect. The chatter at this point had been greatly quieted in his mind. He thought back to Awaiti, of what sort of guidance he would have imparted onto him on this next stretch of his journey. His mind wandered to what Emilei would expect of him. Would they rather have seen him back down from the challenge that they had all prepared him for so genuinely in order to avoid embarrassment, or strive to test the merit of their teachings and offer his best for the good of the druidic realm as a whole?

The alternative would be to let them all down; to give up without even so much as giving half of a decent try. To Aerendyl, this was unacceptable. Before long, he had emerged from his deep contemplation to answer the call of any final words. There were many, but he needed to keep his tongue and his mind from racing; there was much to do and little time for error or wasted energy.

"...My previous teacher, Awaiti, before she parted us for the Eternal Forest would often share the wisdom of the deep forests of the ame. Like some trees may create a root network to communicate with other trees, so should we with our kin. In this Moot, we see our numbers frail and fragile. Yet, the threats to the Balance are never ceasing. It is a cunning, dangerous threat that will impart doom upon us should we continue to neglect action on our part while our kin work tirelessly to ensure that the fears of our predecessors never come to pass. I promise this to you, Circle of the Spring Mother: I will rise to the challenge. I will work to ensure that a mutual, healthy cooperation is forged with our brothers and sisters in the realm, wherever they are. They have continued to support us even in our winter, when our spirit has faded and our verdant halls are quiet. We must, indeed it is imperative to our cause, that we extend our hand in kinship, in dedication to the Balance, and in spirit of the idea of druidism as a whole; to offer our lives for those voices that cannot voice their own. In this pledge I will hold myself to do no harm to this order, and I encourage you to support me in this self-anointed clause. Spring is here, kin, and so shall our spirits revitalize among the welcoming arms of our kin."

There, the TimberWolf departed side by side with his kin. There were many druids to speak with, many details to arrange, and many paths to tread. 

SiaJCCU.png

Upon hearing the news, a woman thinks to herself for some time, before closing the journal in her hands. "The Circles are getting strange."