Aviary Plugin!

Jistuma

uh I hope this is a joke, justifying pea-sized brained animals knowing exactly where someone is just going to enable garbage RP situations to go down because "I sent a bird"

28 minutes ago, Scuba said:

uh I hope this is a joke, justifying pea-sized brained animals knowing exactly where someone is just going to enable garbage RP situations to go down because "I sent a bird"

Have you not been on LOTC for the past 3 years ?

2 minutes ago, TreeSmoothie said:

Have you not been on LOTC for the past 3 years ?

at least it was done by bad RPers, now it is being accepted as something that should be tolerated

2 minutes ago, Scuba said:

at least it was done by bad RPers, now it is being accepted as something that should be tolerated

^^ True

Though it's always been a thing, and you can't see through the eyes of the bird -- nor can you follow it in game, as it just goes a random direction and disappears

3 hours ago, Lucille said:

are aviaries available/usable starting now or do we have to wait till the grace period ends to use aviaries? i wish to create an ic ponzi scheme this way

They up and available for use now.

2 hours ago, Scuba said:

The player who recieves the letter has to go to an aviary to collect it, this makes perfect rp sense 

48 minutes ago, ReveredOwl said:

The player who recieves the letter has to go to an aviary to collect it, this makes perfect rp sense 

yeah if this was a Game of Thrones TV show but it isnt and there will be more abuse/using it for the wrong intentions than correctly RPing distance in correlation with time, among other factors that could even send the bird off-course

legitimatizing birds is retarded

4 minutes ago, Scuba said:

yeah if this was a Game of Thrones TV show but it isnt and there will be more abuse/using it for the wrong intentions than correctly RPing distance in correlation with time, among other factors that could even send the bird off-course

legitimatizing birds is retarded

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homing_pigeon

1 minute ago, Scuba said:

Not entirely sure what you are getting at here, avaries and birds have been a thing since lotc began. We had an aviary and bird plugin just like this one several maps ago, it wasn't kept up to date and we eventually stopped using it then the msg birds became a thing because there was no alternative, now the plugin has been readded. It not fantasy or make believe, its an actual real thing that happened throughout irl history and its much better then the msg birds

Just now, ReveredOwl said:

Not entirely sure what you are getting at here, avaries and birds have been a thing since lotc began. We had an aviary and bird plugin just like this one several maps ago, it wasn't kept up to date and we eventually stopped using it then the msg birds became a thing because there was no alternative, now the plugin has been readded. It not fantasy or make believe, its an actual real thing that happened throughout irl history and its much better then the msg birds

Because you will never get 100% historical accuracy on LoTC, so trying to legitimatize it through historic use does not stop the fact it will never be RPed correctly. It will be RPed as an instantaneous message holder. You see, back in the day the bird did not arrive instantly like an email. And the chances of it even reaching were not guaranteed. I would even bet quite a few birds went messing in attempts to pass along messages through birds in medieval times. In any case, it will bring about more abuse by being used like an instant email sender than to generate quality story-lines and RP. 

It will just be used by cringe-lords who would rather "justify" a message through an aviary after they tell their friend to go to one on Discord

If previous bird RP was always terrible, I do not see how adding a plug-in for it will make the system anymore less abused by people.

8 minutes ago, Scuba said:

Because you will never get 100% historical accuracy on LoTC, so trying to legitimatize it through historic use does not stop the fact it will never be RPed correctly. It will be RPed as an instantaneous message holder. You see, back in the day the bird did not arrive instantly like an email. And the chances of it even reaching were not guaranteed. I would even bet quite a few birds went messing in attempts to pass along messages through birds in medieval times. In any case, it will bring about more abuse by being used like an instant email sender than to generate quality story-lines and RP. 

It will just be used by cringe-lords who would rather "justify" a message through an aviary after they tell their friend to go to one on Discord

If previous bird RP was always terrible, I do not see how adding a plug-in for it will make the system anymore less abused by people.

It takes around 2-5 minutes to receive a bird, and you need to go to an aviary to look at it - I believe. It's no instant email sender

1 minute ago, satinkira said:

It takes around 2-5 minutes to receive a bird, and you need to go to an aviary to look at it - I believe. It's no instant email sender

so you are saying hypothetically I watch a Youtube video for 3 minutes while I wait for a bird that will have information that will be used against dynamic RP? wow you are so brilliant

because people historically waited 3 minutes to receive a message from another kingdom with important, valuable news that could change destiny, yeah I am totally for this now that you have enlightened me

staff members, stop forcing your garbage down people's throats and actually get some insight before you make an announcement about something that does not make a better story for the server

like maybe you people could get an original idea and try that?

8 minutes ago, Scuba said:

so you are saying hypothetically I watch a Youtube video for 3 minutes while I wait for a bird that will have information that will be used against dynamic RP? wow you are so brilliant

because people historically waited 3 minutes to receive a message from another kingdom with important, valuable news that could change destiny, yeah I am totally for this now that you have enlightened me

Are you saying that Almaris is the same size as multiple medieval kingdoms?

5 hours ago, ichigomaster98 said:

"Error: An unhandled exception occurred. Contact a developer." and it deleted my letter.

Bug has been found, and a fix has started to be created. Thanks for the bug reports. I've also made it so that the bird is sent first, and the letter is deleted later, so that if something bad happens, at least you still have your letter. It's still not on the main server, but will be soon.

just getting 6 people could take 30 minutes

I'm still thinking on ways to resolve this particular problem. I want this to be as simple as possible to the user, but since you need to select the MCname and then the Persona you want to send it to, becomes harder to make it user friendly to send it to multiple people. If anyone has any suggestions on this, please share.

Having a clock or timer would be helpful so I have a rough estimate of how many hours I have to wait to ask people over for tea.

At the moment, the timer to send a new letter can be checked by trying to send a new letter (it will tell you how much longer you have to wait to send the new letter), and it is between 2 and 5 mins, depending on the distance of the users (offline counts as the longest distance)